Author Topic: CNN's Soledad O'Brien Suggests Obama's a Hero Like the Hudson River Pilot  (Read 1171 times)

Offline thundley4

Since Democratic heroes were the primary topic, Blitzer also described how he skipped school to go see Robert F. Kennedy speak in Buffalo. Here’s how the pilot metaphor emerged:

BLITZER: But we've been going through a number of years now where people were starting to lose faith in the country. They were starting to lose faith in the future. They thought our best days were behind us. That's very, very -- that's a big break from our tradition. We've always been optimistic people. Well people are starting to lose confidence. And he has come along and rekindled that confidence.
I think that airplane that went down, the US Air flight and the pilot -- and Soledad and I were talking about this earlier and she was saying metaphorically in some ways, the pilot of that airplane is very much like Barack Obama -- that he got the plane down safely, but everybody else had to join together to get out of the plane and pull together to get through that adversity. I thought that was an interesting metaphor.

O'BRIEN: And it's a metaphor that Barack Obama keeps emphasizing, which is it is not about me. And there's a host of reasons to do that. Number one, you can't turn the economy around by yourself. That's not going to happen. So push that back on people.

O’Brien later turned around and suggested that President Bush did a bad job of inspiring young people after 9/11 to offer themselves in public service, unlike Obama. She constructed a straw man Bush that only told young people to go shop:

ANDERSON COOPER: Clearly the inauguration in this is the first step in that. They've wanted to make this the most inclusive inauguration. They've said repeatedly that's part of the reason behind the train journey, allowing more people to play a role in this. And this day of service which we talked about on Monday, the day before the inauguration.

O'BRIEN: They have to give them a real role. When you look back to Martin Luther King days, a lot of these young people, you saw the pictures of the children in busses hauled off to jail. Their parents had jobs and their parents could not lose those jobs.

So who was volunteering to be part of that? The kids were. The 16-year-olds were. So you have to give them a real opportunity, not a, ‘go shop’ or ‘go do something that doesn't matter.’ Be part of a movement, of a campaign. I agree, in New York, after 9/11, people were so touched. You'd get on the subway and people wouldn't speak. It was jam-packed and just so quiet, but no one knew what to do.
newsbusters

The slavering slack-jawed idol worship continues unabated in the media.  :hammer:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Did I see Blitzer drooling just the other day?
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
But she really really really hates her neighbor's dog.....

CNN correspondent Soledad O'Brien wants this dog gone.

The newswoman and other members of a Chelsea co-op board are trying to evict a beloved family pet from a swanky loft building because they say the dog is smelly and slobbers.

O'Brien, in a 20-page affidavit, complained about the pooch's "size, slobbering, shedding, drooling, gassiness and odors."

"She told me at a shareholder's meeting that my dog stinks," said Steven Lyons, owner of Ugo, a good-natured, 150-pound mastiff.

Lyons, an immigration lawyer, lives with his wife and their three kids in a loft three floors above the journalist on West 26th Street.

O'Brien, the co-op board's secretary, signed a notice on Jan. 5 that terminated the family's lease, the first legal step before asking a Housing Court judge to remove the dog or the family from the building.

"Her behavior has been particularly outrageous," Lyons said of O'Brien.

His wife, Monica Nelson, said, "She did get in my face."

"What's the matter? Aren't you talking to me?" she said O'Brien asked her.

Other board members ridicule Nelson by holding their noses when they ride the elevator with her - even when she's not with Ugo.

Lyons said neighbors had welcomed him to the building after he purchased his $3 million, 4,000-square-foot, eighth-floor apartment in 2003. (more at link) 
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01182009/news/regionalnews/ruff_co_op_war_150676.htm
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Did I see Blitzer drooling just the other day?

No.  That was Obama-gasm running down his chin.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

"O'Brien, in a 20-page affidavit, complained about the pooch's "size, slobbering, shedding, drooling, gassiness and odors." "

What does she expect when she lives in a liberal enclave? It's not the dog that is the problem. :)

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Quote from:
I agree, in New York, after 9/11, people were so touched. You'd get on the subway and people wouldn't speak. It was jam-packed and just so quiet, but no one knew what to do.

If that's true, then it means the people of NYC don't know what to do unless someone tells them what to do.  I know a few NYers who would dispute that, but given it's generally a Dem/lib city, it wouldn't surprise me to find out many of them are spineless.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Laying the groundwork for the youth corps huh?
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
No.  That was Obama-gasm running down his chin.

Jeezus. Sorry I asked!  :-)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline formerlurker

The DNC has been whining that the Hudson flight crash has been dominating the news -- taking away the spotlight from the Messiah, which translates to a hit to donations.   

Soledad just trying to link the two.   Yeah, that will work Soledad.   :rotf:

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
The DNC has been whining that the Hudson flight crash has been dominating the news -- taking away the spotlight from the Messiah, which translates to a hit to donations.  

Soledad just trying to link the two.   Yeah, that will work Soledad.   :rotf:

Sullenberger and the crew are invited to the inauguration. Anyways, they are the real heroes while Obama is just a lawyer who engaged in community organizing, which anyone can do. The crew did something that few people have done and done it with no loss of life. Chew on that!
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du