Author Topic: Troopergate Report: Palin Abused Power  (Read 2557 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Troopergate Report: Palin Abused Power
« on: October 10, 2008, 08:07:32 PM »

I knew that this was coming.  I am still looking into the accusations . . .

Troopergate Report: Palin Abused Power
Unanimous but Contentious Vote to Release the Report to the Public

Sarah Palin abused her power when she fired her Public Safety Commissioner this July, a state investigation has concluded.

The Alaska legislature voted to release the 263-page report on the "Troopergate" scandal, a state kerfuffle which has come to haunt Gov. Sarah Palin's vice presidential bid. The scandal centered around her firing of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan. Monegan and others believed Palin fired him because he refused to take action against Mike Wooten, a state trooper under him who had been involved in a messy divorce with Palin's sister, Molly.

The investigator, Stephen Branchflower, found that Monegan's refusal to fire Wooten "was not the sole reason" but was "likely a contributing factor" to his firing.

Branchflower also said Palin's attorney general failed to provide him with emails of Palin's that he had requested as part of the probe.

Palin violated the state Ethics Act, Branchflower found.

"The evidence supports the conclusion that Governor Palin, at the least, engaged in 'official action' by her inaction if not her active participation or assistance to her husband in attempting to get Trooper Wooten fired [and there is evidence of her active participation]," he concluded.

story

Offline Miss Mia

Re: Troopergate Report: Palin Abused Power
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 08:09:12 PM »
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 08:17:58 PM »
This is a tree they didn't want to bark up... Seems the short version is they blame the First Dude for pushing for the firing, and Sarah didn't stop it. They are listing refusal to fire the trooper as a contributing factor.

It will distill down to this. Wooten is abusive, even to a kid He is also found to have other conduct issues. Monegan refuses to fire this potential threat to personal safety, therefore the Governor did her job, and fired Monegan.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 08:18:43 PM »
No one saw this coming... no one at all.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 08:20:50 PM »
This is a tree they didn't want to bark up... Seems the short version is they blame the First Dude for pushing for the firing, and Sarah didn't stop it. They are listing refusal to fire the trooper as a contributing factor.

It will distill down to this. Wooten is abusive, even to a kid He is also found to have other conduct issues. Monegan refuses to fire this potential threat to personal safety, therefore the Governor did her job, and fired Monegan. 
after he'd crossed her on several budgetary issues, refused to hire more troopers, and tried to go over her head.  Of course, insubordination is probably fine anymore.   ::)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 08:24:28 PM »
after he'd crossed her on several budgetary issues, refused to hire more troopers, and tried to go over her head.  Of course, insubordination is probably fine anymore.   ::)

Im sure Monegan will say the attempt to fire him was racist. Its worked for everything else this election season, so why not ?

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 08:25:54 PM »
I think Sarah released some information a while back that told her side (the budgetary issues, insuboardination, etc...) and isn't this guy STILL A trooper?

Jeez....

Rev. Wright? Not a problem.
Bill Ayers? Not a problem.
ACORN shenangians? Not a problem.

Damn...not enough bandwidth to compare....
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 08:27:10 PM »
You guys do remember Gonzales? Same old shit, different name. I hate ****ing Democrats with a passion.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 08:31:17 PM »
Shocker!  :whatever:

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 08:33:18 PM »
Okay.

So who the **** cares?

Seriously, are they going to push for impeachment? I don't think so.

So she "Abused" her powers getting a scumbag fired.

Oh well!

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 08:36:11 PM »
Okay.

So who the **** cares?

Oh well!
Not to mention that the abusive trooper was not fired, just her insubordinate employee.   ::)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 09:14:43 PM »
Not to mention that the abusive trooper was not fired, just her insubordinate employee.   ::)
Okay.

So who the **** cares?

Oh well!
No she abused her powers coz she didn't stop her hubby from talkin to people. What was she suppose to do? tell him to shut up or no nookie? ::)
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 09:23:26 PM »
No she abused her powers coz she didn't stop her hubby from talkin to people. What was she suppose to do? tell him to shut up or no nookie? ::)

That's what my wife uses on me.

Works pretty dang well too. :-)

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Digger

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 09:43:58 PM »
They are barking up a dead bulls ass.  She did nothing wrong and they have to spin at 3600 RPM to try and get some.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 10:02:03 PM »
They are barking up a dead bulls ass.  She did nothing wrong and they have to spin at 3600 RPM to try and get some.

after readin the report, I can see why they are assaulting her

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 11:37:02 PM »
On the Rachel Bull-Dyke Maddow show, she asked an alaskan commissioner if there will be proceedings that will lead to impeachement.  The alaskan moonbat said, yes, and I will certainly be on the board to see that justice is served. :whatever: :lmao: :loser:

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 07:03:51 AM »
Wow...I knew the Libs were scared of her...but until this I had no idea just how much she frightens them.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 08:53:38 AM »
One of the things I have been reading around the Blogosphere now is that she may not have actually fired Monegan, but offered to reassign him to another position, and he chose to resign instead. has anyone seen anything like this in any verifiable media anywhere ? 

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 10:05:01 AM »
Upon the dismissal, Monegan was offered a position as executive director of the Alcohol Beverage and Control Board, but turned it down.

Palin said his wife was unhappy with Monegan because of "budget issues and failure to fill trooper vacancies."

"Walt Monegan was, to the best of my knowledge, not terminated," Palin said. "He was offered a reassignment, and he resigned rather than accept the reassignment."
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/08/todd.palin.subpoena/

CNN no less...   :-)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 10:05:41 AM »
Wow...I knew the Libs were scared of her...but until this I had no idea just how much she frightens them.

They are already practicing chicago politics on her.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 10:13:09 AM »
Miskie - it is surely hard to get a clear read on this.

The following quote from McCain's camp.

http://www.johnmccain.com/Images/Truth/Analysis100908.pdf

Beginning in October 2007, Governor Sarah Palin and members of her administration repeatedly clashed with Department of Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan, a member of her cabinet, over budgetary issues and department direction. On July 11, 2008, after multiple efforts to reach a consensus had failed, Governor Palin offered Mr. Monegan a new position as head of the Alaska Alcohol Control Board. Mr. Monegan declined the offer and was dismissed as a result.

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 10:18:42 AM »
Here is another story, the relevant paragraph is buried at the bottom.

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/463204.html

The governor offered Monegan a different job, as executive director of the state Alcoholic Beverage Control Board. He turned it down.

Monegan said he returned from working with wildlife troopers in Bristol Bay to Anchorage for the Friday meeting with Palin's acting chief of staff Mike Nizich. He figured they'd be talking about security for the upcoming governor's picnics, Monegan said.

Instead, he was offered the new job and told he couldn't keep his old one.

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 10:39:32 AM »
So despite this guy deserving to be thrown out on his ass, she offered him another position and he refused? Typical. He probably knew Troopergate would play well even if he had no idea she would be the VP nominee. There is a small but very vocal anti-Palin crowd in Alaska and the people behind this are vocal Obamaites

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 11:19:24 AM »
So despite this guy deserving to be thrown out on his ass, she offered him another position and he refused? Typical. He probably knew Troopergate would play well even if he had no idea she would be the VP nominee. There is a small but very vocal anti-Palin crowd in Alaska and the people behind this are vocal Obamaites
AND, after turning down the other position, claimed he was fired.   :thatsright: