Author Topic: DON LAFONTAINE DIES AT 68  (Read 1333 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
DON LAFONTAINE DIES AT 68
« on: September 02, 2008, 10:50:40 AM »
Voiceover Master Don LaFontaine has died. He was 68.

LaFontaine, known as the "King of Voiceovers," died Monday afternoon at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. LaFontaine's agent, Vanessa Gilbert, tells ET that he passed away following complications from Pneumothorax, the presence of air or gas in the pleural cavity, the result of a collapsed lung. The official cause of death has not yet been released.

Over the past 25 years, LaFontaine cemented his position as the "King of Voiceovers." Aside from being the preeminent voice in the movie trailer industry, Don also worked as the voice of Entertainment Tonight and The Insider, as well as for CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and UPN, in addition to TNT, TBS and the Cartoon Network. By conservative estimates, he voiced hundreds of thousands of television and radio spots, including commercials for Chevrolet, Pontiac, Ford, Budweiser, McDonalds, Coke, and many other corporate sponsors.

He recently parodied himself on a series of national television commercials for Geico. At last count, he has worked on nearly 5000 films, including appearances as the in-show announcer for the Screen Actors Guild and Academy Awards. Based on contracts signed, he has the distinction of being perhaps the single busiest actor in the history of SAG. Don is survived by his wife -- singer/actress Nita Whitaker, and three children: Christine, Skye and Elyse.

http://www.etonline.com/news/2008/09/64990/index.html
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: DON LAFONTAINE DIES AT 68
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 11:02:12 AM »
[youtube=425,350]JQRtuxdfQHw[/youtube]

He will be missed.  :(
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 11:11:26 AM by TxRadioguy »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 11:10:53 AM »
 :rotf:

I had never seen that before.

I think AL Chalk had at one time been LaFontaine's protoge...they sound a lot alike.

Sadly Don had no one that I was aware of to leave his V/o business to.

One of my soldiers had gone out last summer and done some understudy type of work with him and Don had been kind enough to V/o the intro to our ball the last two years.

He'll be missed.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 11:16:47 AM »
Probably the best imitation of Don I've seen.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPBvFXf9Q2U&feature=related[/youtube]

Offline Donpeyote

• Schade's friend
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 11:52:45 AM »
 His voice will live foreever ...

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 01:42:41 PM »
In a world without Don LaFontaine...

RIP, Mr. LaFontaine.  And thank you.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 01:43:43 PM »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPBvFXf9Q2U&feature=related[/youtube]

He should be hired to carry on the legacy.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 07:20:02 PM »
In a world where ptarmigans defeat the bunnies. RIP Don LaFontaine. My condolences to his family and friends.  :( :bawl: Your voice will live on.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 08:32:13 PM by Ptarmigan »
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 08:14:11 PM »
[youtube=425,350]JQRtuxdfQHw[/youtube]

He will be missed.  :(

Chris -- thank you SO much for posting that.  I have always loved voice talent and that was the ultimate V/T video.

I was almost literally FOFLOL -- and I laughed so hard I am in tears (LOLWTIME?)

What a class guy and yes, he will be missed.

Prayers for the family.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 08:51:24 PM »

Thats to damn funny.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"