Author Topic: Gustav's eye closes in on Louisiana coastline  (Read 1152 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Gustav's eye closes in on Louisiana coastline
« on: September 01, 2008, 09:09:27 AM »
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Hurricane Gustav steamed toward the Louisiana coast early Monday on track to hit west of New Orleans as the few remaining in the city watched nervously and hoped levees only partly reinforced in the three years since Katrina would hold.

Those who heeded days of warnings to get out watched from shelters and hotel rooms hundreds of miles away, praying the powerful Category 3 storm and its 115-mph winds would pass without the same deadly toll.

"We're nervous, but we just have to keep trusting in God that we don't get the water again," said Lyndon Guidry, who hit the road for Florida just a few months after he was able to return to his home in New Orleans. "We just have to put our faith in God."
Water gushed off buildings and flags hung in tatters, ripped to shreds in the high winds. But there were no reports of serious flooding, and only scattered clusters of power outages.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080901/D92TTVEO0.html

It's almost down to a Cat 2 as we speak
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Willow

• Limousine
Re: Gustav's eye closes in on Louisiana coastline
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 09:46:02 AM »
Some guy on MSNBC is reporting that water is pouring over the levee on the "west wall" I hope that idiot Democrat isn"t still laughing.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 09:50:41 AM »
Some guy on MSNBC is reporting that water is pouring over the levee on the "west wall" I hope that idiot Democrat isn"t still laughing.

That guy is exaggerating.  FNC is reporting that on an unmodified portion of the levee wall down in the 9th ward...there was "water lapping over the top in some spots".

It is important to note that all the levee walls are holding.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:03:06 AM »
Shepard Smith is just reporting that the NO city officials have reported that a barge has broken loose in the Industrial Canal, floating loose and the Coast Guard has been sent out to try to "corral" it. At this time, it has not hit any levees.

Prayers out for the Coast Guard teams too....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 10:15:27 AM »
Water is going over the Industrial Canal levee.

One thing I think most people forget, is that New Orleans isn't the only freaking city down there.  People that don't live in New Orleans, are being effected by this hurricane as well. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 10:24:03 AM »
I can see what is happening now. on cnbc they are showing pictures of the waves lapping over the wall, it is from wind. Biloxi is catching hell this time too.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 11:04:10 AM »
Mia, how dare you question the wisdom and compassion of the MSM!  Don't you know there is NO OTHER PLACE besides NO?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford