Author Topic: Question re wireless connection  (Read 4383 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Question re wireless connection
« on: March 31, 2012, 07:17:16 PM »
My Husband wanted me to ask this question re: his Mom's computer, he wants to know can you share a laptop wireless connection with a desktop pc that has no built in wireless internet? Do you need an ethernet cable to go from laptop to pc?

Thanks
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: Question re wireless connection
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 07:25:59 PM »
Is it a wifi router the laptop is connected to? If so, buy a wireless card for the desktop. If not, you'll need an extra nic in the laptop, so no. That is, if you're talking about hardwiring the desktop to the laptop and using its Internet connection. There could a way with a USB, but none I'm aware of. You can get a wireless card for the desktop cheap. Look at newegg.com or my favorite, amazon.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 07:27:46 PM »
Wait for other responses. I hate software and am on the network engineer side. On my side, there is no way other than what I've posted. There could be a software resolution. I hate software.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 07:29:49 PM »
Is it a wifi router the laptop is connected to? If so, buy a wireless card for the desktop. If not, you'll need an extra nic in the laptop, so no. That is, if you're talking about hardwiring the desktop to the laptop and using its Internet connection. There could a way with a USB, but none I'm aware of. You can get a wireless card for the desktop cheap. Look at newegg.com or my favorite, amazon.

My MIL is moving in with her Sister, I'm almost positive his Aunt has a wifi router, he was going to get the wireless card for her but he googled something and it was suggested you can connect the wireless laptop directly to the pc with the ethernet cable. Does that sound right though?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 07:30:17 PM »
Wait for other responses. I hate software and am on the network engineer side. On my side, there is no way other than what I've posted. There could be a software resolution. I hate software.

Thanks and your response is appreciated.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 07:49:25 PM »
When we went wireless, I just bought NetGear adapters and connected them with USB cables.  It takes quite a while for the NetGear software to load, but they work pretty reliably once they are set up.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »
My MIL is moving in with her Sister, I'm almost positive his Aunt has a wifi router, he was going to get the wireless card for her but he googled something and it was suggested you can connect the wireless laptop directly to the pc with the ethernet cable. Does that sound right though?

That might be possible, but I'd just crack open the desktop and install a wireless card into it.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 07:58:44 PM »
Just checked Amazon. Saw one for $2.42. $6.99 for shipping. Yes, I meant 2.42.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 11:26:51 PM »
Doesn't Wireless imply No wires ?  my bet is the "Wireless" connection to the laptop is a USB stick. You can still run a USB cable or an HDMI cable from the laptop to a Desktop. The laptop would have to be on for the desktop to access the interweb and the software set to allow multiple connections.

Thats doing it on the cheap anything else would depend upon current and/or upgrade capabilities of the two machines.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 11:31:18 PM »
We're going to bring the ethernet cable when we try to hook it up, if it doesn't work then we'll just have to run to Staples to get a wireless card.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 11:43:18 PM »
We're going to bring the ethernet cable when we try to hook it up, if it doesn't work then we'll just have to run to Staples to get a wireless card.

Oh come on now have some fun. Shop from home,the internet puts the world at your fingertips. Not only can you save on product price , Save on Sales Taxes sometimes you can get free shipping if you're willing to wait a week for delivery.

Cables and Nic cards are almost given away via internet stores nowadays. Not so in the brick n mortar places.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 11:45:42 PM »
Doesn't Wireless imply No wires ?

What gave it away?

Offline Zeus

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 11:54:25 PM »
What gave it away?

Well to be honest with you I was surprised a network engineer would ask about router hookups. I read to fast and missed the wifi part. my bad. :???:

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 05:46:49 AM »
Doesn't Wireless imply No wires ?  my bet is the "Wireless" connection to the laptop is a USB stick. You can still run a USB cable or an HDMI cable from the laptop to a Desktop. The laptop would have to be on for the desktop to access the interweb and the software set to allow multiple connections.

Thats doing it on the cheap anything else would depend upon current and/or upgrade capabilities of the two machines.

Not everythng which can be done should be.  While techinically you could slave the desktop off the laptop by using the laptop as a proxy server, unless it was one darn fast laptop,  connection would probably be a tad slow for both machines. 

Back in the day there use to be a book out showing how to use plain old telephone wire to make a weak link lan using only a single phone line and dial up modem. Ah them were the good old days, sharing 2400 baud modems and Prodigy. 

But I digress.  Most laptops have a 10/100 mbps ethernet connection built on the board now a days as do most dektops.  And wireless routers will also have a 10/100Mbps connection in addition to wireless capability.  If the desktop has a USB open (and you don't want to use an ethernet cable to the router) you can get a USB wireless dongle fairly cheap.  Most that I have seen will 'fall back' to the fastest speed the router is capable of with older, slower ones being cheaper (54Mbps vs 600Mbps) for example.

Also you are limited by the cable modem download speed to the router which is over ethernet cable( usually Cat 5 (10/100) but sometimes Cat 6 (somtimes it is actually Cat5e 10/100/1000) which supports Gibabits per second.  As with any system you are limited by the weakest link.   

It is really not all that complicated.  :naughty:

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Zeus

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 11:11:27 AM »

It is really not all that complicated.  :naughty:

Computers and the internet and various configurations really has become child's play. What a Computer tech used to charge $50 - $100 to do your avg High school student can do in virtually moments. They will also do it for an good boy, good girl, $10 etc.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 12:51:13 PM »
She's all hooked up to the internet now, the ethernet cable didn't work, we ran to Staples and got the Antennae for her Netgear Wireless G, $35 and she's all up and running.