Author Topic: Is it safe to........  (Read 6166 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Is it safe to........
« on: July 18, 2011, 02:38:54 PM »
My computer, an HP Compaq dc 7600, running XP Pro, SP3, has slowed considerably.  I have defaged, ran two anti-virus/spyware programs and found nothing.

Trying to find an answer on the web I ran across an article that said the "unmovable files", if they become fragmented, can slow down a computer.  The article said that the defag utility on computer could not defag unmovable files.  It recommended a program purported to defag this files, including registry files that it said could defag and cause a computer to slow down.

This is way over my head so I ask if it is advisable to fool with the unmovable files on the computer that this article said included such files as "paging files, event log files, and Registry hives".  If I can't find out what has caused the computer to slow down I will have to hire a computer tech to solve the problem for me and they are expensive where I live.

Anyone here have the computer knowledge to help me with the problem.  Thanks.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

Re: Is it safe to........
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 02:46:46 PM »
Download, install, and run CCleaner.  Run the main Cleaner app and the Registry cleaner.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 02:56:30 PM »
Download, install, and run CCleaner.  Run the main Cleaner app and the Registry cleaner.

Thanks, and sorry, but I forgot to mention that I have already done that also.  Also forgot to mention that I have done in safe mode what I said in my original post. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 03:21:06 PM »
Have you run Malwarebytes as well?

Offline Wayne

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 03:24:10 PM »
    EMPTY YOUR CACHE AND DELETE YOUR COOKIES .. MAKE A NOTE OF ALL YOUR PWs AS THEY WILL BE DELETED.

you do this via your "tool" button on your server..

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 04:43:37 PM »
    EMPTY YOUR CACHE AND DELETE YOUR COOKIES .. MAKE A NOTE OF ALL YOUR PWs AS THEY WILL BE DELETED.

you do this via your "tool" button on your server..
CCleaner does that for you.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 04:16:42 AM »
CCleaner does that for you.

cleaners will sometimes over look unknown files..

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 04:38:12 AM »
2 more things to consider.

Is the computer (the hdd) kind of old? Or is the hdd getting full?

I have seen hardware that simply gets old slow a pc down considerably.

And even if it is relatively new, a hdd that is getting too full will also slow the pc down to a halt eventually.

I would still do as Chris suggested also and update then run malwarebytes too.
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 08:43:47 AM »
Have you run Malwarebytes as well?

Yes, that was one of the two that I ran.  The other being SpyBot S & D.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 08:47:51 AM »
2 more things to consider.

Is the computer (the hdd) kind of old? Or is the hdd getting full?

No to the getting old.  The SATA 0 HD is an 80 GB that only has 26 GB loaded on it.  I have a 500 GB HD on Sata 1 where I load most everything else and it has little of the space used. I only has about 3 GB loaded so far.

I have seen hardware that simply gets old slow a pc down considerably.

And even if it is relatively new, a hdd that is getting too full will also slow the pc down to a halt eventually.

I would still do as Chris suggested also and update then run malwarebytes too.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 04:20:55 PM »
How clean and /or cool is the PC running?? Heat will cause massive slow downs, too.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 04:50:17 PM »
Look at your RAM levels.

If you're running two antivirus programs simultaneously - especially if one is provided by Symantec you're probably low on resources which will cause the system to page (transferring data out of RAM and onto the much slower HDD Swap file). This will slow the system down very noticeably.

You can use event viewer to check how often the machine is "paging" - that number should be as low as possible.

Look at what software is running in the background and try to reduce out uncritical software.

RAM is cheap, easy to install and having a surplus of it available makes for a much more pleasant computing experience.

Offline rightlyamused

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 01:09:22 PM »
Look at your RAM levels.

If you're running two antivirus programs simultaneously - especially if one is provided by Symantec you're probably low on resources which will cause the system to page (transferring data out of RAM and onto the much slower HDD Swap file). This will slow the system down very noticeably.

You can use event viewer to check how often the machine is "paging" - that number should be as low as possible.

Look at what software is running in the background and try to reduce out uncritical software.

RAM is cheap, easy to install and having a surplus of it available makes for a much more pleasant computing experience.

Well, I was running three, SpyBot S&D, MalWareBytes, and McAfee.  I deleted the first two, as they were free downloads, and it made no difference.

Offline rightlyamused

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 01:11:24 PM »
How clean and /or cool is the PC running?? Heat will cause massive slow downs, too.

Good point, Thor.  I checked six months ago and there was hardly any dust or accumulation in the computer, but I will check an see if perhaps that could be the problem.  I usually check a couple of times a year for this problem. 

Offline CG6468

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 01:40:18 PM »
McAfee also slows down a machine.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 04:09:08 PM »
McAfee also slows down a machine.

Yes. The other two mentioned aren't really "anti-virus" programs as such either.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 04:11:33 PM »
I would ditch all three and download Avast!.  Keep Malwarebytes, but it doesn't need to run constantly.

McAfee is not much better than Symantec when it comes to memory & CPU load.  The only problem I have w/ Avast! is at startup when it connects to the internet for an update.

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 05:17:35 PM »
I agree. Avast has a much lighter foot print than McAfee.

Microsoft Security Essentials aint bad either (and it is also free).

But I dont think that either Spybot or Malwarebytes would conflict or slow the pc down. They are both free (unless you buy MB) and as such do not run in the background. Only when you manually run them.
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline CG6468

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 10:11:28 PM »
I would ditch all three and download Avast!.  Keep Malwarebytes, but it doesn't need to run constantly.

McAfee is not much better than Symantec when it comes to memory & CPU load.  The only problem I have w/ Avast! is at startup when it connects to the internet for an update.

Avast update downloads take about 5 seconds for me, right after I turn the machine on, and once in a while while it's running. But it doesn't interfere with anything else. Once in a while, it tells me that I have to restart the machine for everything to do what it has to do, but it's no big deal.

I also have Malwarebytes, CCleaner and Iobit Malware Fighter. No problems with any slowdowns during upgrades.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 11:04:39 PM »
Avast update downloads take about 5 seconds for me, right after I turn the machine on, and once in a while while it's running. But it doesn't interfere with anything else. Once in a while, it tells me that I have to restart the machine for everything to do what it has to do, but it's no big deal.

I also have Malwarebytes, CCleaner and Iobit Malware Fighter. No problems with any slowdowns during upgrades.

Yeah, but you have a pretty screaming machine as far as processor power & memory goes..........  Regardless, I like Avast a LOT. I'm even considering getting the paid version.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline namvet

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 09:08:41 AM »
I had the same problem. a pal of mine told me to download and run Secunia inspector. it found a shit load of old programs that were out of date or end of life. got rid of em all. also i went into the start up utility and unchecked everything except what was needed. including some missing programs with only a check box. spyware
now it gets up and hauls ass.  :-)

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline CG6468

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
Yeah, but you have a pretty screaming machine as far as processor power & memory goes..........  Regardless, I like Avast a LOT. I'm even considering getting the paid version.

You would know, Thor. You built it for me!  :-)