Author Topic: Can't get floppy disk drive to work.  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Can't get floppy disk drive to work.
« on: May 03, 2011, 09:05:41 PM »
Ok, I know that floppy's are are outdated, but I have a bunch of files that I created years ago when floppy was all you had.

I had an IDE floppy in my computer that I was using and one day I tried to open some floppy files and it said that the disc wasn't formated and did I want to format the disc.

I got a brand new floppy and it said the same thing. I tried to format it and got a message that said Windows could not format the disc.

So, I thought maybe the old IDE floppy drive had gone belly up. I ordered a new USB floppy drive from TigerDirect and installed it. It does the same thing.

Can anyone help me get this floppy drive working so that I can access the files.

I have an HP Compaq dc7600 small form computer running XP Pro, SP 3. The floppy drive that I ordered is a PowerUp G54-8016 external USB floppy drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know why the IDE floppy was working then quit, and now the new floppy won't work.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

Re: Can't get floppy disk drive to work.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 09:50:21 PM »
Just a guess, check your BIOS or Windows settings... maybe there is a compatibility issue somewhere.

Or buy another floppy drive. :(
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 10:33:30 PM »
Could be the floppies, too. Some used to be formatted at 720 KB and others at 1.44 MB. The 720s wouldn't work on a drive set up for 1.44s (or something like that) I haven't used a floppy drive in a long while. Also, magnetic media does lose data over time. There could be corrupt sectors on the floppies or who knows what could be wrong with them??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 10:34:40 PM »
I haven't used a 720k floppy for a couple of decades.  How old are these disks anyway?

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 01:55:25 AM »
If you've used anything but a brand new floppy in that new drive there's a chance you've gummed up the heads on it.

If the new drive reads a new floppy - then you need to use windows checkdisk to attempt to fix or attempt to fix the old one - and then do a surface scan.  Warning though that some files really don't like being "rearranged" as the surface scan repair option tends to do - in particular things like zip archives.

Just myself - I'd kick myself for not transferring the data off the floppy earlier and accept the loss of data.