Author Topic: DVD/CD player/recorder  (Read 4380 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
DVD/CD player/recorder
« on: March 23, 2011, 05:02:39 PM »
I need a DVD/CD player/recorder for my computer.  All I have now is a CD player.

I would perfer and IDE player/recorder, but would take a USB. 

Does anyone know where I could get one fairly inexpensive?  Thanks.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

Re: DVD/CD player/recorder
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
Almost any store that carries computer components would have a relatively cheap one. Cheap being under $40 or so.   I remember buying my first Dual Layer DVD/CD burner that cost close to $300.  :argh:

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 05:39:56 PM »
I need a DVD/CD player/recorder for my computer.  All I have now is a CD player.

I would perfer and IDE player/recorder, but would take a USB. 

Does anyone know where I could get one fairly inexpensive?  Thanks.

Check Newegg.com or 3bTech.net  I just bought an SATA dvd +/- R/ CD-rw for $20, free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151175

http://3btech.net/cdromcddvddr1-dvdredr.html
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 10:53:39 AM »
Check Newegg.com or 3bTech.net  I just bought an SATA dvd +/- R/ CD-rw for $20, free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151175

http://3btech.net/cdromcddvddr1-dvdredr.html

Thanks Thor, just ordered one. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 11:55:45 AM »
Thanks Thor, just ordered one. 

I get the majority of my computer parts from either of those places. 3BTech, while being sometimes more expensive, NEVER charges shipping. It's built into the price. However, they don't compete with other internet vendors. Newegg typically has lower prices, but sometimes charges shipping. BOTH of them ship relatively quick. I usually receive my orders from either vendor within three business days, UNLESS I order on a Friday or right before a  holiday weekend. I've had orders show up as in as many as two days.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline CG6468

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 12:32:59 PM »
Those places are where Thor told me to order the parts for the computer he built for me. Wham, bam! Done rapidly.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 02:12:33 PM »
Those places are where Thor told me to order the parts for the computer he built for me. Wham, bam! Done rapidly.

LOL!! YEAH!! I was a little taken aback because the stuff got here within two days for the most part. TigerDirect can have some deals sometimes, but they're slower and their "deals" often involve rebates.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 06:46:16 PM »
Ok, guys, I don't want to be a pest, but I ordered a Samsung SH-S222a DVD/CD burner from Newegg and installed it in my computer.  The computer is a HP Compaq dc760 running XP Pro with SP3.

The computer recognizes the DVD?CD ROM, but not the write.  I can't get it two write anything.  Do I need to download some drivers or something.

I thought that the DVD would have an install disc, but it didn't since it didn't come in the computer.

If you could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 07:15:31 PM »
Ok, guys, I don't want to be a pest, but I ordered a Samsung SH-S222a DVD/CD burner from Newegg and installed it in my computer.  The computer is a HP Compaq dc760 running XP Pro with SP3.

The computer recognizes the DVD?CD ROM, but not the write.  I can't get it two write anything.  Do I need to download some drivers or something.

I thought that the DVD would have an install disc, but it didn't since it didn't come in the computer.

Try this one:

http://cdburnerxp.se/en/home

IIRC XP does not contain burning software.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 10:11:23 PM »
Ok, guys, I don't want to be a pest, but I ordered a Samsung SH-S222a DVD/CD burner from Newegg and installed it in my computer.  The computer is a HP Compaq dc760 running XP Pro with SP3.

The computer recognizes the DVD?CD ROM, but not the write.  I can't get it two write anything.  Do I need to download some drivers or something.

ImgBurn: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-cd-dvd-burning-software.htm#imgburn

InfraRecorder is pretty good, too. There's a link to that on the same page.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 10:16:47 PM »