Author Topic: Crap! My Laptop Keyboard Suddenly Stopped Working  (Read 2718 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Crap! My Laptop Keyboard Suddenly Stopped Working
« on: September 03, 2010, 02:52:12 PM »
Windows hardware diagnostics says that it is fine, no error messages on reboot, plugging an old keybord in the accessory port works OK, so the drivers must be intact......WTF?

Old Dell Insipron 2500...

Any suggestions?

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

Re: Crap! My Laptop Keyboard Suddenly Stopped Working
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 03:10:15 PM »
Check for any stuck keys, remove the battery for several minutes.  Both those were things a quick search for Inspiron laptop keyboard problems showed.  A third one was removing all the keys and cleaning them and the area underneath.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 03:15:10 PM »
Stuck keys are the most likely problem. I had this happen with my old laptop. The first time baffled me until I looked VERY closely. I finally saw that one of the keys was stuck down just enough to interrupt the keyboard function. (It was barely noticeable) That's what happens as hardware ages, eating or drinking around computers, etc.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 03:53:13 PM »
Stuck keys are the most likely problem. I had this happen with my old laptop. The first time baffled me until I looked VERY closely. I finally saw that one of the keys was stuck down just enough to interrupt the keyboard function. (It was barely noticeable) That's what happens as hardware ages, eating or drinking around computers, etc.

I thought of that, and none of them appear to be stuck, unless something is actually under one of them.  The "action" of each key seems to be normal.  Wonder what a little compressed air on the keyboard would do.......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 04:00:22 PM »
I thought of that, and none of them appear to be stuck, unless something is actually under one of them.  The "action" of each key seems to be normal.  Wonder what a little compressed air on the keyboard would do.......

doc

Depends on the PSI of the compressed air. Canned air would be my recommendation unless you can dial down the pressure to under 30 PSI. Otherwise, you might blow the keys off. They aren't attached very well. Did you spill anything on the keyboard?? I also did that to my old laptop and I turned it off for a day, let it dry out and was fortunate enough to have it work when I booted it up. I'd also suggest that you look in the BIOS, if you can and make sure the keyboard is seen in there. Laptop BIOS are very different from Desktop BIOS, though. Chris is the laptop tech, but he's unavailable this weekend.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 04:15:31 PM »
Depends on the PSI of the compressed air. Canned air would be my recommendation unless you can dial down the pressure to under 30 PSI. Otherwise, you might blow the keys off. They aren't attached very well. Did you spill anything on the keyboard?? I also did that to my old laptop and I turned it off for a day, let it dry out and was fortunate enough to have it work when I booted it up. I'd also suggest that you look in the BIOS, if you can and make sure the keyboard is seen in there. Laptop BIOS are very different from Desktop BIOS, though. Chris is the laptop tech, but he's unavailable this weekend.

I'll look at the BIOS.......

It was really weird, I was typing along in the middle of a post, looked up at the screen, and it had stopped half a sentence ago.

I loaded my email client, and tried wordpad to make sure it was not a software issue, but same result.I can certainly wait till Chris comes back, as it works when I plug my spare keyboard into the accessory KB/Mouse jack, but I can't figure what happened.

It's probably way past time for me to invest in a newer laptop, as this one is ten years old, and has basically been in use nearly every day for that period.  I've replaced the HD, the CD drive, and both of the fans, so it is likely just shot.

doc 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 04:37:19 PM »
Run it under warm, soapy water to clean it out.  Let it drip dry. :whistling:

I would try a hard reboot.  Unplug the battery and power cable, and remove the battery.  Let it sit for 30 seconds.  Plug in the power cable and power it back up.  Or, you could just have a dead keyboard... you can get new ones for $35.  If you take the keyboard out, you can type the part number into Amazon or Google Shopping to find a replacement.