Author Topic: Strange Occurrance  (Read 9038 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Strange Occurrance
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 08:40:10 PM »
goddammit.  Now it's back to a crawl.  what the ****?

I had a similiar problem with this DSL when I first got it.....speed was all over the map, but mostly slow/stop......they finally found a "node phasing error" at the switch, whatever the hell that means, but I haven't had a problem since.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 10:23:58 PM »
I hear they have medication for that.

free samples?

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 12:28:26 PM »
With your cable speed varying like that it's one of three things; 1.) A server issue at the local head end; 2.) A return plant problem, probably ingress; 3.) node loading. However, during the day, unless you're in an area where it's heavy usage, it should be pretty quick. I'd probably suggest that you call the cable company and complain about the speed issues. Also, you can get into Your Cable Modem(typically) and see if the cable modem is fluctuating. Look at signal to noise ratio, upstream power and downstream power. Upstream should be less than 55 dB, downstream power should be greater than -15 dB (-10dB and up is better) and signal to noise should be greater than 33 dB
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2010, 03:34:36 AM »
I found this.  I made the change to my TCP/IP settings.
I am sending this to everyone with Comcast. Are you experiencing a slowdown or an inability to "find" web pages? If so I have the answer. Comcast switched the DNS servers from in house local to a nationwide server. This is the computer that resolves requests to location of web page. If you set the DNS to one of the ones listed in the attached file and then reboot computer (including turning cable modem on and off) you should get a much faster, more accurate connection. I am using 66.93.87.2 with 4.2.2.5 as the alternate. System seems very fast.

http://www.plex86.org/computer/Comcast-slowdown.html

I checked a couple different sites I haven't been to in a while.  Seems to be running okay.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 02:48:05 PM by Chris »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2010, 04:21:19 PM »
Response is faster, but Comcast still refuses to load some web pages. :censored:

^F5 ^F5 ^F5
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2010, 11:30:27 PM »
I cleared my DNS cache.  I didn't do that earlier.