Author Topic: Strange Occurrance  (Read 9037 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Strange Occurrance
« on: February 01, 2010, 01:25:17 PM »
I booted up my old Dell laptop this morning to check out CC, and after everything finished loading, and I was perusing the site for about an hour, I noticed that the cooling fan was running almost constantly, which is uncommon......I loaded up "task Manager "to look at the CPU and RAM useage, and both were hitting the peg at 100%.......

I then looked at the processes that were running, and everything looked OK, so I changes to a different website, and noticed no change.....still running hot as hell.......

Then (while watching the CPU usage in Task Manager, I closed out IE altogether, and CPU usage dropped to zero........so.....I opened IE again, and the CPU usage spiked, but fell to a normal 20% or so, and has remained at that level, plus or minus.....for some time, and the cooling fan is no linger running constantly.......

I  checked to make sure my AV software wasn't running a scan or something......nothing....

Any of you computer wizards know what the hell happened.......

Note:  I'm running Win 2000Pro, and IE6.....with the latest updates.....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Strange Occurrance
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
AV software will not usually detect spyware. It's possible that you have some sort of spyware lingering around. However, that doesn't explain why your CPU usage diminished to a 20% level when you re-opened IE. A possible reason was that IE was updating it's files or phoning home to M$. In the morning, I'll try to find the link to a very good process explorer that shows EVERYTHING that is running and it's corresponding system file.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 12:50:59 AM »
AV software will not usually detect spyware. It's possible that you have some sort of spyware lingering around. However, that doesn't explain why your CPU usage diminished to a 20% level when you re-opened IE. A possible reason was that IE was updating it's files or phoning home to M$. In the morning, I'll try to find the link to a very good process explorer that shows EVERYTHING that is running and it's corresponding system file.

I use Anti-Spy.info in conjunction with Microsoft Process Explorer

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 08:39:58 AM »
My computer slows to a crawl if it's downloading updates for Microsoft or the AV.

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 12:56:29 PM »
I also use "Adaware", in conjunction with my AV software, but have everything set to manual, in other words, no updates or scans run unless I trigger them myself.....even MS Update is set to manual for the same reason.....with this old laptop, there is not enough RAM to run all that stuff in the background without everything slowing down to  uselessness......

The AV software will run an automatic scan if it detects a threat, but that will show up in a pop-up when it happens.......

I updated my OS last week, which included an update for IE, so there might have been a bug in the update, but the problem has not happened again.....Thor might be right that Windows was phoning home for some reason......

doc

ON EDIT:  BTW Thor,, I ordered the XP installation package for this machine last week, but haven't received it yet.....
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 12:59:01 PM by TVDOC »

Offline kenth

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 05:07:58 PM »
I've had some Flash ads spike Firefox to over 90% cpu time. It doesn't always let go just by closing the offending page either. Some times it will stay up until I close or kill the entire browser.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 07:41:45 PM »
I've had some Flash ads spike Firefox to over 90% cpu time. It doesn't always let go just by closing the offending page either. Some times it will stay up until I close or kill the entire browser.

That may have been what happened, as closing and reopening the browser eliminated it.....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 12:55:30 PM »
I've had problems like that at times. Usually I can run CrapCleaner and stop it. Cleaning out all the IE cookies seems to take care of the problem.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 01:19:19 PM »
Often when I post something or change pages my IE seems to freeze for several moments. Its very annoying.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 01:22:44 PM »
Often when I post something or change pages my IE seems to freeze for several moments. Its very annoying.

If this is happening on this forum.......I'm told that it is due to heavy useage on the server that we are on, and it happens (at least for me) between 11:00 and 5:00 CST during the work day.

doc

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 01:25:31 PM »
I am having a similar problem.  It happens on IE and Firefox... slow page loads, time outs, incomplete page loads.  I think my interwebs are broken.  I change something, and it works fine for an hour.  I've done full scans with Malwarebytes and AVG, I tried releasing/renewing my IP address, clearing my cookies and temp files from both browsers.  Nothing seems to fix it and it happens on every site I go to.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 01:29:36 PM »
IE8 is slow when opening new tabs or even opening a link period.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 04:26:44 PM »
I am having a similar problem.  It happens on IE and Firefox... slow page loads, time outs, incomplete page loads.  I think my interwebs are broken.  I change something, and it works fine for an hour.  I've done full scans with Malwarebytes and AVG, I tried releasing/renewing my IP address, clearing my cookies and temp files from both browsers.  Nothing seems to fix it and it happens on every site I go to.

This is happening to me too - I thought it was just an indicator that this netbook was running low on resources and needed its monthly reimage.

I don't use anti-virus software - but do run a process scanner and a exploit scanner once a week and the system is clean of anything anomalous.

Running a bit short on free disk space though.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 04:28:30 PM »
If this is happening on this forum.......I'm told that it is due to heavy useage on the server that we are on, and it happens (at least for me) between 11:00 and 5:00 CST during the work day.

doc

It hasn't happened today but it happens on any site

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 04:33:32 PM »
It hasn't happened today but it happens on any site

Yours must be a different problem.......what I've seen on slow page-load issues are confined to this site (at least for me), and to a specific timeframe........everything else works OK.

doc

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 04:52:04 PM »
Yours must be a different problem.......what I've seen on slow page-load issues are confined to this site (at least for me), and to a specific timeframe........everything else works OK.

doc

I dumped a google toolbar and cleaned the cache.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 05:05:32 PM »

I'd probably be looking at hardware  or your ISP.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 05:21:54 PM »
I did one of those speed tests and got 3 Mbs down and 1 Mbps up.  I had to reload the page twice for the test to work.

I have similar issues at work and we both have Comcast.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 06:09:32 PM »
I did one of those speed tests and got 3 Mbs down and 1 Mbps up.  I had to reload the page twice for the test to work.

Have you tried unplugging the modem for a couple of minutes?

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 06:14:15 PM »
Not yet.  I suppose I should give that a shot.  It's really bad right now.

Okay, that worked.  For now.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 06:18:58 PM by Chris »

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 06:32:03 PM »

I get 15.3 Mb/S download and 0.47 Mb/s upload

Use to have at least 17 Mb/s

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 06:36:58 PM »
goddammit.  Now it's back to a crawl.  what the ****?

Offline thundley4

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 06:50:52 PM »
I get 15.3 Mb/S download and 0.47 Mb/s upload

Use to have at least 17 Mb/s

Right now mine is 11.6 down and 2.6 up.  It varies quite a bit though.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 06:58:48 PM »
Right now mine is 11.6 down and 2.6 up.  It varies quite a bit though.

My upstream never goes up.... what a downer..  ::)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 07:00:21 PM »
My upstream never goes up.... what a downer..  ::)

I hear they have medication for that.