Author Topic: Avatar Creation  (Read 4223 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« on: December 07, 2009, 03:31:19 PM »
Please excuse my ignorance, but how does one create an avatar from a standard .jpg photofile?

When I resize an image, and attempt to upload is I end up with the "dreaded red X"......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Avatar Creation
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 04:14:47 PM »
I wonder if this software automatically re-sizes.

I know at our old home, one had to make sure the avatar was not exceeding a certain size.

But here, I just take a jpg of any size, and it fits.

So I wonder if that's just automatic.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 04:18:06 PM »
I wonder if this software automatically re-sizes.

I know at our old home, one had to make sure the avatar was not exceeding a certain size.

But here, I just take a jpg of any size, and it fits.

So I wonder if that's just automatic.

I must be doing something wrong, I tried that and got a red X

I'll give it another shot....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 04:26:57 PM »
Are you trying to link to a picture online ('I have my own pic') or uploading one from your hard drive ('I will upload my own picture')?  If you're trying to link to one, the file URL might be wrong or the host doesn't want people linking to their pictures. 

Uploading jpeg files from your desktop will automatically (more or less) resize them to the correct dimensions (100x100).
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 04:29:33 PM »
Are you trying to link to a picture online ('I have my own pic') or uploading one from your hard drive ('I will upload my own picture')?  If you're trying to link to one, the file URL might be wrong or the host doesn't want people linking to their pictures.  

Uploading jpeg files from your desktop will automatically (more or less) resize them to the correct dimensions (100x100).

I was trying to upload one from my hard drive.....I just discovered that it is a bitmap image, and not a jpeg.....I guess that is why it won't appear.

One of the other members had an aerial shot of the Pearl Harbor memorial in a commemorative thread, and I thought I'd use it for today, but it is a bmp file.

doc
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 04:33:27 PM by TVDOC »

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 05:09:01 PM »
Doc, you may either open up the .bmp file in paint and then save it as a .jpg file and then upload it as an avatar, or I added the .bmp extension into our allowable uploads so you can try it as it is.  It's your choice at this point.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 12:01:03 PM »
Doc, you may either open up the .bmp file in paint and then save it as a .jpg file and then upload it as an avatar, or I added the .bmp extension into our allowable uploads so you can try it as it is.  It's your choice at this point.

Got it.....thanks.....my (rather elderly) version of MS Paint won't let me change it to a .jpg, but I have some image software on here for my digital camera that got it done, thanks again.

doc

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 06:40:23 PM »
I use this program, http://www.irfanview.com/ to quickly change images from bmp or whatever to jpg.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 08:51:43 PM »
I use this program, http://www.irfanview.com/ to quickly change images from bmp or whatever to jpg.

Irfanview is good, but why install a program when MS Paint should do that just fine??

Doc, which version of Windows are you running??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 10:25:48 PM »
The Library of Congress uses some image format that I had to download Irfan to view.  I think that's the only time I've ever used it.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 11:13:09 AM »
Irfanview is good, but why install a program when MS Paint should do that just fine??

Doc, which version of Windows are you running??

I'm using Win 2000 Pro, and if I load the image in MS Paint, select "File", and "Save As", it only offers me three different versions of .bmp as format  options to save the file.....no .jpeg.........unless I'm not using Paint correctly, which is possible.......

doc

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 11:17:25 AM »
Doc, try what this page recommends:

http://www.hftonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4457

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
Doc, try what this page recommends:

http://www.hftonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4457

Got it.....installed the filters, and it works now for both .jpg, and .gif.

Thanks,

doc