Author Topic: More problems - graphics card  (Read 2688 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
More problems - graphics card
« on: November 10, 2009, 02:48:05 PM »
My old PC finally died completely Saturday. I've now got a new one set up. I installed a PNY GeForce 9600 GT in it.  Every thing is running fine thus far, but after finishing I noticed a leftover packet that contained a small three-strand wire that is about 6 inches long and has connections on each end about the same size as HD jumpers. I can find no mention of this in the manual. What is it? And where should it have gone?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: More problems - graphics card
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 02:50:11 PM »
Without looking up that card, I'd venture a bet that it's for a cooling fan on the graphics card that attaches to the card and a fan connector on the motherboard. (Off to look it up)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
Unable to locate a manual online very easily, looking at what's included in the package, it should be a Y power adapter with two white plugs and one small black plug. Also, it MIGHT be an audio connector cable for the HDMI output (found in the MSI version package)

and an audio cable for use with HDMI (connects from a header on the card to an S/PDIF header on your motherboard or sound card).
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 03:13:59 PM »
This card does require a supplemental 6-pin power connection. This motherboard did not have a 6-pin connector as required; however, with the card there was a Y adapter with two large white plugs and a smaller 6-pin plug. Although the manual didn't say this was what that was for I assumed it was and used it as such. The small cable I'm speaking of in my original post is not this. It only has a connection on each end.

The connections are about the size of what I remember connecting to cooling fans years ago.

Wouldn't the previously mentioned power adapter provide power to the cooling fan though? Should I open the case back up and make sure the fan is running?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 03:21:50 PM »
If you really want to find out what it is used for you'll have to open the computer up and examine the card to find out where it connects to the video card. There should be some writing on the pcb close by there that identifies its use.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 03:33:41 PM »
I suppose that one could always RTFM.......(probably on the included CD) It seems like it's the audio cable for the HDMI audio out to the sound card (sp-dif)  I said that earlier, didn't I ??

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 03:37:24 PM »
I suppose that one could always RTFM.......(probably on the included CD) It seems like it's the audio cable for the HDMI audio out to the sound card (sp-dif)  I said that earlier, didn't I ??

I just checked closer. one of the connectors has " SPDIF GRD" on it.