Author Topic: Important help needed  (Read 5563 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Important help needed
« on: November 06, 2009, 10:48:49 AM »
I'm having some catastrophic computer issues so I'm planning a new purchase. Naturally I want cheap as possible with the economy like it is.

I'd like an affordable (less than $700) desktop that will handle Windows 7 without problems. I need it rather quickly due to work. My available stores for purchase are walmart and staples. Their websites are walmart.com and staples.com. I also need to be able to install a Nividia GeForce 8600 GT (that I already own) in the new computer.

The main use of the computer will be a cad application with occasional gaming.

The next thing is does a program exist that will let me connect the old PC to the new PC in order to quickly transfer data files? I know years ago in the DOS and Windows 3.1 days I had a program that would do this, but I have no idea now.

Any quick help would be very much appreciated.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jinxmchue

Re: Important help needed
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 11:00:16 AM »
I've heard that buying parts and assembling a computer on your own is very inexpensive.  I personally wouldn't have the first clue where to start, though.

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 11:06:46 AM »
Office Depot has Dell PC's fairly nicely appointed for $399.  You can just swap the video cards.

Check out this software to move your files...

http://www.laplink.com/pcmover/
http://supportconnectw.ca.com/public/dnapro/infodocs/dnapro-comparison.asp
http://www.detto.com/
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 11:17:04 AM »
Is 4gb memory enough to handle Windows7?

My concern with the video card is that I thought in the past some of the factory PC motherboards made it difficult to add parts such as video cards that were not bought from the PC manufacturer.

Just remember that my computer knowledge has actually decreased dramatically since the days of DOS and Windows 3.1.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 11:20:31 AM »
Depending on the computer, one can either attach the hard drive to a PATA (IDE) or SATA port and transfer the data themselves. Worst case, you buy a USB enclosure for your old hard drive and install it in there, hook it up and transfer data. I've done that MANY times, once the OS is installed. From what I've read, Windows 7 will run on 1 GB RAM, but prefers 2 GB RAM.

I don't know what happened to your old PC, but if it was BSODing, it could very well be caused by the video card or some other peripheral that has gone bad.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 11:21:45 AM »
I've been looking at this: Dell option 1

Or this: Dell option 2

Or this: Dell option 3

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 11:23:21 AM »
Unless you need a new monitor, you could save money by buying just the computer part. I don't care for the newer Dells, though.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 11:26:47 AM »
Unless you need a new monitor, you could save money by buying just the computer part. I don't care for the newer Dells, though.

What brand would you suggest. I'm not set in stone on Dell. Just a good price. Problem is that my store options around here are limited to Walmart and Staples.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 11:28:20 AM »
I would recommend that IF you choose between those two, get the 546, NOT the 531 (I absolutely HATE Intel Celeron processors, They're the lowest end Intel processor one can get) AMD outperforms most Intel processors.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 11:28:42 AM »
In my experience with HP systems, if you plan on running Vista and expect reasonable performance, you'll need a minimum of 2GB of memory (preferrably 4GB) and at least a dual-core processor running about 2.8Gz.  I would spend the extra money on an Intel quad-core.

My motherboard's USB host controllers are slowly dying... I'll need to upgrade miy motherboard soon.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 11:28:53 AM »
I've gotten PC's from these guys...takes about a week, but you can pretty much customize the build...

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
I've gotten PC's from these guys...takes about a week, but you can pretty much customize the build...

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

Yeah, I've bought from them before and got a good machine for a good deal. The problem is that I might not have the week or so it takes for delivery.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 11:32:34 AM »
Considering your budget and the time restrictions, the Dell will probably suffice. Get the Athlon version. Just don't expect to upgrade the internals very much except for maybe adding some RAM or changing out an optical drive and perhaps adding a PCI-e card or two.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 11:33:20 AM »
BTW, I build  a decent computer, but again, it won't be available within a week.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 11:37:04 AM »
Considering your budget and the time restrictions, the Dell will probably suffice. Get the Athlon version. Just don't expect to upgrade the internals very much except for maybe adding some RAM or changing out an optical drive and perhaps adding a PCI-e card or two.

The only internal I'm concerned with really is the Nividia GeForce 8600 GT. Do you think it is installable with the Athlon Dell?

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 11:44:51 AM »
The only internal I'm concerned with really is the Nividia GeForce 8600 GT. Do you think it is installable with the Athlon Dell?

Upon looking quickly, it appears that your card will work. I won't guarantee it, though.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 11:45:53 AM »
You will have to disable the onboard video in the bios.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 11:47:02 AM »
You will have to disable the onboard video in the bios.

That's not a problem. I've just never cared for onboard video.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 11:49:33 AM »
What about HP Pavilions?

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 12:47:17 PM »
Damn, it would be nice if you could build your own. Once you know how, it's so easy.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.