Author Topic: What Is YTIMG and Why Does YT freeze??  (Read 4275 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
What Is YTIMG and Why Does YT freeze??
« on: October 16, 2008, 10:28:25 PM »
Does anyone know wtf ytimg is and why it freezes yt all the time?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 10:32:35 PM »
Might be because of not enough Video RAM/ RAM ?? YT SUX on my laptop, but works fine on my server. Laptop is 512 Meg Ram, 1 GHz Proc with 16 Meg of RAM shared for the video. Server is 1.4 GHz proc, 1 GB RAM & 64 Meg Video RAM
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 10:35:34 PM »
Might be because of not enough Video RAM/ RAM ?? YT SUX on my laptop, but works fine on my server. Laptop is 512 Meg Ram, 1 GHz Proc with 16 Meg of RAM shared for the video. Server is 1.4 GHz proc, 1 GB RAM & 64 Meg Video RAM

You running WFW 3.1 on Dos 5.0?

512 won't even load the W2K (and relations) boot kernel.

1 GB is the ENTRY point for a end user machine -- and about 1/3 what a server needs.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 10:46:44 PM »
They're BOTH old and BOTH run XP SP2 just dandy.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
Re: What Is YTIMG and Why Does YT freeze??
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 10:52:11 PM »
Also, the "server" is on a small home network, so it's not like it's tasked very hard. It has an old Abit KT-7A RAID board in it. It will only hold 2 GB of RAM, anyways. I could use a better video card. IF you have one you care to donate...... It's AGP ;)

To answer the original question, ytimg is probably the video server. I can't tell you why it freezes on your end. It almost always freezes on my laptop, but never on my "server".

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 10:54:16 PM »
YTIMG means Youtube Image.

Get a computer built in the last 5 years.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 10:58:23 PM »
YTIMG means Youtube Image.

Get a computer built in the last 5 years.

Yeah, OK.........  :whatever:

These work just fine....... I have a newer one that has a 2.4 GHz Proc but can't afford some more RAM or afford a copy of XP. I might throw Ubuntu on it, though.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 11:03:13 PM »
What happened here?

I was sure MY question was a response to someone else's question on why YT doesn't work for them...

How in the hell did it morph this way? 

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 11:10:05 PM »
I split it off and moved  it as it was not germane to the OP.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 11:41:41 PM »
I split it off and moved  it as it was not germane to the OP.

Sure it was.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 12:57:31 PM »
Sorry, perhaps I'm dense, (but I don't think so). I fail to understand how a YouTube problem is really germane to the post, other than the post  referenced YT. At best, it's tangential to the post, but even that's pushing it.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 09:18:26 AM »
Sorry, perhaps I'm dense, (but I don't think so). I fail to understand how a YouTube problem is really germane to the post, other than the post  referenced YT. At best, it's tangential to the post, but even that's pushing it.

Well, that is because you are a poopy-head.  ;)

(no harm done)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 02:26:31 PM »
You running WFW 3.1 on Dos 5.0?

Is that, Why Fracking Windows?    :fuelfire:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.