Author Topic: What you need to understand about DU is that it is a PR project (see page 3)  (Read 19284 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
Very interesting and informative piece of information that IMO answers a lot of questions about DU and some of it's most prolific posters.

Lurkers...how does it feel to get used by the people you adore?

The PR firm that runs DU does want an echo chamber. The young people (now a little older) in charge, like Skinner, Elad, etc. are being subcontracted by the PR firm to run the board. There is probably a room with a bunch of computers and the same six or seven people posting all day under many different handles, spewing out Democratic talking points. There may be other people across the country hired through one party apparatus or another to do a certain number of hours daily on DU and to watch out for any deviation from important talking points.

I think Frenchie Cat fits that description: she always said she was some kind of "activist", when she wasn't posting the pictures of other people's day care kids online or writing drunken poetry. She also knew about Obama's trip to Europe during the 2008 campaign way before anyone else did, which led me to believe she had some inside-the-party info.

In the end, I think about 20 or 30 regular posters are hired guns of some sort under a number of different handles. There are a number of genuine regulars--Mike C, for example, is a real professor at Humbolt--but the genuine posters are not on all the time.

Mostly, the hired guns are there to promote the talking points, sway conversations in the direction of the talking points, and get rid of people who are too far off message, even if they are true Democrats. For example, when the gays got too vocal, two years before Obama was ready to do something about DADT, many of them were tombstoned, even though they were true registered Democrats who had worked hard for the party.

What you need to understand about DU is that it is a PR project. To look "genuine", they have to allow some leeway, but when an important policy issue or election comes up, the firm's lackeys unleash "new" posters (with, mysteriously, many thousands of posts) to push the talking points all over the front page at rapid speed. Any genuine posters who disagree too vehemently are tombstoned for interfering with the PR.

The lackeys, on the other hand, can post the most outrageous filth. (I'll never forget Frenchie Cat posting the picture of a rectum on a thread to insult the PUMAs. She didn't even get a wrist slap.) This means that DU is really a PR dump. Genuine Democrats who honestly want to discuss issues need not apply.

H/t Elspeth of conservativeunderground.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:18:50 AM by franksolich »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: What you need to understand about DU is that it is a PR project
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 02:42:28 PM »
What you need to understand about DU is that it is a PR project.

Right on the money.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:45:51 PM »
Right on the money.

It does seem to answer some questions that left us all scratching our heads.  And would confirm some of BadCats computer models.

We've all wondered why we haven't heard of some of the primitives that suddenly appear with several thousand posts and we've never brought anything of their musings over before that first time we post them here.

And it explains why there was the great purge and banning in 2008 of Hillary supporters who dared speak out against Obama.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline EagleKeeper

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 02:47:17 PM »
When you think about DUmmies like prosense in this vein it begins to make sense.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
- Napoleon Bonaparte

If you wait by the river long enough the bodies of your enemies will float by.
-Sun Tzu

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 02:55:45 PM »
Interesting. I remember some people who used to post at DU, but left. I thought they were banned under unpleasant circumstances. I know GabysPoppy was banned from DU and even harassed.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:58:55 PM by Ptarmigan »
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 03:42:18 PM »
Elspeth is no kook.  She may well be onto something here.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 04:37:29 PM »
Then, if said Elspeth is on the right track, it begs the question . . .

WHY?

Why was/is it being done?
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 04:53:46 PM »
Then, if said Elspeth is on the right track, it begs the question . . .

WHY?

Why was/is it being done?
I remember writing it, but I have no idea where it's at.

Once I write something, I tend to forget all about it and move on to something else.

Anyway, my fellow alum used to be an aide for U.S. Senators Joseph Biden, Ron Wyden, and Carl Levin--although on the third, don't take my word for it, as it might have been Levin's brother the Congressman Sander Levin. 

Skins was also a congressional aide for congressman David Bonior, who made an outstandingly stupid mistake of running in the Democrat gubernatorial primary in Michigan about ten years ago, losing to that woman from Canada, and hence losing his seat-for-life in the House.

It's all on the internet, somewhere, including that Lord Marblehead EarlG had some sort of connection with the U.K. Ministry of Defence during the late 1990s (his college education was financed by them, or something, or he was an intern there; one no longer remembers), but it's information so ancient it would demand the deep-googling skills of a miskie to find it now.

My particular flaw in such matters is that I'm not so much interested as in where people have been, but more so in where they're at now, and where they're headed.

As for the Establishment Democrats setting up Skins's island so as to identify, attract, and isolate the fringe elements from the public eye, lest the nuts embarrass the Democrats, costing them elections, there were many links to this issue during the Scamdal five and a half years ago, but at any rate, res ipsa loquatir; the thing speaks for itself, and demands no corraborating evidence.
http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,53501.0.html
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 07:29:47 PM »
Elspeth is no kook.  She may well be onto something here.

Elspeth has an account here at CC. I have not seen her here in a while.

I seem to remember another mass banning at DU in 2004. Anything on that?
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 07:35:38 PM »
Elspeth has an account here at CC. I have not seen her here in a while.

They were tracking people who visited DU by clicking on links at CU. A lot of moles died that day.  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 07:52:28 PM »
They were tracking people who visited DU by clicking on links at CU. A lot of moles died that day.  :-)

Not only moles. I also remember non-moles and even a moderator.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline blitzkrieg_17

• The harder they come, the harder they fall
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 08:15:31 PM »
Must be some f'n lousy PR firm, with all the psycho-Nazi things said on DU the past 8 years.
Caught somewhere in time

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 09:21:02 PM »

That was also the year of the great Deaniac purge after he went nutso.

As for the OP:  Interesting theory.  I'm not convinced at this point because something like this would take thought and planning, and I just have never seen liberals successfully conduct anything involving thought, much less planning.  It explains some things, but leaves other things even more confusing.

I still tend to think the admins are pro-Dem and they want a board that reflects approval of whatever the Dems do and whatever will strengthen the party.  I think Skin's and company still hold out some hope of recognition for being loyalists.  In some members, like prosense, they've found members who will tow the party line no matter what, and they like that.  That is their anchor.  Over time, everyone else either falls in line, or stays pretty close to base, or is TSed.  They keep a few who appear to question Dems just for appearances.  I mean, the comment was made that the true followers can do just about anything, and I've noticed the questioners are essentially in the same boat.  You'll occasionally see primitives complain that a certain poster always bashes Dems but never gets in trouble for it.  So if the above theory is true about the PR thing, then they're playing both sides with more emphasis towards the ones that favor Dems.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 09:46:07 PM »
But no matter what.......

........they can never explain nadin.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 11:16:51 PM »

So true.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 11:55:11 PM »

She's "teh shiney", meant to distract.
Those that oppose her and tarnish that image are weeded out.
Anybody seen BTG, lately?
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 12:23:28 AM »
I pause to wonder if any one has a mole over there that has been or is currently a moderator.

If so what level of IP tracking is available to the DU moderation staff - Claims that there are only a few tens of actual posters on there should be easy enough to verify through the IP tracking component of the board software....

Even if the  board software really is as old and clapped out as it appears to be ; they'd have to have a moderately sophisticated system for user tracking.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 12:26:53 AM »
I pause to wonder if any one has a mole over there that has been or is currently a moderator.

If so what level of IP tracking is available to the DU moderation staff - Claims that there are only a few tens of actual posters on there should be easy enough to verify through the IP tracking component of the board software....

Even if the  board software really is as old and clapped out as it appears to be ; they'd have to have a moderately sophisticated system for user tracking.

Sounds like something BadCat could find out with his dumpster diving software.

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 12:31:32 AM »

Even if the  board software really is as old and clapped out as it appears to be ; they'd have to have a moderately sophisticated system for user tracking.

Not one of the real mods could find their asses with both hands and a flashlight.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 12:32:31 AM »
Sounds like something BadCat could find out with his dumpster diving software.

Maybe. I don't know how his software operates - but I suspect it is essentially a link crawler and statistical aggregator that doesn't operate under a user name. I may well be wrong. However, on every board I've been on - you need to be a moderator to be able to access and track IP information on users and posts.

Now if BadCat had an account that had moderator level access...

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 12:35:32 AM »
Maybe. I don't know how his software operates - but I suspect it is essentially a link crawler and statistical aggregator that doesn't operate under a user name. I may well be wrong. However, on every board I've been on - you need to be a moderator to be able to access and track IP information on users and posts.

Now if BadCat had an account that had moderator level access...

BC to my knowledge doesn't have that level access...but IIRC there are a couple people here that  do.  Or did at one point.  And at least one person at ToS did/does as well.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 12:39:28 AM »
Not one of the real mods could find their asses with both hands and a flashlight.

Yes, but that's because their arms are too short and their waist is too large in circumference for them to actually touch it.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 12:50:52 AM »
So...any thoughts on which "PR firm" has the deep pockets to do this?

My first thought was People For The American Way.

Not a PR firm in the truest sense but they DO float a lot of trial balloons the Dems end up using.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Re: Re: What you need to understand about DU is that it is a PR project
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 02:02:18 AM »

I don't moderate here, but I do at CU. My apologies to SR & SLW etc., but I don't think I'm giving away any secrets.  At CU, I can see every IP address, and can look up much further information if necessary.  For 99% of those who actually post, it means nothing.  Spammers & spider-bots are mostly innocuous.  We zap the spammers in fairly quick fashion.  But lurkers are the ones we are concerned about, as I'm sure is the same here and hell, even at the DUmp.

Very interesting theory by Elspeth, though. Very interesting...
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Re: Re: What you need to understand about DU is that it is a PR project
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 02:25:51 AM »
I don't moderate here, but I do at CU. My apologies to SR & SLW etc., but I don't think I'm giving away any secrets.  At CU, I can see every IP address, and can look up much further information if necessary.  For 99% of those who actually post, it means nothing.  Spammers & spider-bots are mostly innocuous.  We zap the spammers in fairly quick fashion.  But lurkers are the ones we are concerned about, as I'm sure is the same here and hell, even at the DUmp.

Same thing here, exactly.

When I pull up the "users on line" screen, I don't bother paying attention to the threads members, a known quality to me, are reading.  Members can be reading the porno threads here, and I couldn't possibly care less.

However, I care very much what lurkers are reading.

Members here can see essentially the same things I can see, other than the ISP (internet service provider) numbers, by clicking on USERS ON LINE at the bottom of the forum page.  I've always suggested they check it at least once in a while, to see what's popular; they might see a thread they missed earlier.

Our old home, where I was a member but not a moderator, before the crash in 2008, the same thing; I imagine it's still that way.

It's all good.
apres moi, le deluge