Author Topic: Petraeus Wins Support in Troop Cut Delay  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
Petraeus Wins Support in Troop Cut Delay
« on: February 25, 2008, 08:13:03 AM »
IDJITS

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=259x12037

unhappycamper   (1000+ posts)       Mon Feb-25-08 07:41 AM
Original message
 Advertisements [?]

Military.com | By Christian Lowe | February 25, 2008

The top commander in charge of coalition forces in Iraq said Friday senior Pentagon officials agree with him that a rapid drawdown of U.S. troops in that country should be curtailed in favor of a more gradual, "conditions-based" approach to reductions.

In an exclusive interview with Military.com from his headquarters in Baghdad, Gen. David Petraeus, the Multi-National Forces-Iraq commander, explained that he'd held close consultations with Central Command chief Adm. William Fallon and Defense Secretary Bill Gates and won them over on keeping troop levels steady after July.

"I've had a chance to talk to most of the members of the Joint Chiefs in recent weeks ... Adm. Fallon was just out and I think we see the world the same way," Petraeus explained. "He endorsed ... the concept of a period of consolidation and evaluation following the substantial withdrawals that will be completed by the end of July, before continuing with further reductions."

In January, Gates launched what some considered a competing assessment from the Joint Chiefs of Staff on Iraqi security that would coincide with an update on the "surge" Petraeus was scheduled to deliver to Congress in the spring.

Reports have indicated that Joint Chiefs chairman, Adm. Mike Mullen, favors a withdrawal of forces to 10 brigades by the end of the year over concerns that the lengthy Iraq deployments are straining the ground forces beyond repair.

Rest of article at: http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,162658,00.h...

DrDan  (1000+ posts)      Mon Feb-25-08 07:44 AM
Response to Original message
1. well . . . I think the Feb casualty count may also have influenced that
 the surge may not be working as well as advertised . . .

2 more yesterday

You are a ****ing idiot that seems joyfull of deaths to American Troops...............well **** you  :bird:

acmavm  (1000+ posts)      Mon Feb-25-08 07:47 AM
Response to Original message
2. 'Condition based'? Does that mean when the facts don't fit the
 happy picture that this bunch of clowns are trying to project? Or when the oil agreement turning everything they have over to Exxon-Mobile is signed?

The day that these troops that ya'll just seem to malign with every breath and keystroke come to save your sorry worthless waste of ****ing air asses..............they will do it, unlike you ****ing traitorous cowards ****wads  :bird:
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
Re: Petraeus Wins Support in Troop Cut Delay
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 08:30:27 AM »
Tell me again how DU supports the troops?  :whatever:
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Petraeus Wins Support in Troop Cut Delay
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 09:25:54 AM »
Tell me again how DU supports the troops?  :whatever:

By shooting them in the back.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.