Author Topic: Let's talk about the real F word!  (Read 754 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Let's talk about the real F word!
« on: May 26, 2012, 04:20:16 PM »
hedgehog

Let's talk about the real F word!

Let’s take only the Obama presidency. Had the filibuster not applied, the United States would have a market-based system to control carbon emissions, which would limit the damage from global warming, vitalize the clean technology sector, and challenge other large polluters like China and India to do the same. The new health care law would have a public option. Children of undocumented immigrants who served two years in the military or went to college could become US citizens. Women paid less than their male colleagues because of their gender would have broader legal recourse against their employers. Billionaires would not be able to manipulate the political system from behind a veil of anonymity.

Dozens of vacant judgeships would have been filled. The Federal Reserve would have operated with a full slate of governors, including Nobel Prize-winning economist Peter Diamond. Elizabeth Warren would be director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, not a candidate for the Senate. And Mitt Romney would be paying a higher tax rate than the 13.9 percent he shelled out in 2010, since a provision to end the carried-interest tax break wouldn’t have died in the Senate. (By my math, that filibuster saved Romney $1,480,000 in 2010 alone, the difference between the 15 percent he paid on $7.4 million earned in carried interest and the top marginal rate of 35 percent.)

Each of these measures passed the House and received, or would have received, at least the 50 votes necessary to pass the Senate — but lacked the 60 votes to break a filibuster. (Nominations are handled — or not — solely by the Senate.) Since 2007, the GOP has filibustered legislation with majority support 78 times.

http://articles.boston.com/2012-05-18/opinion/31749851_1_filibuster-public-option-senate

http://www.democraticunderground.com/125140620

:mental:

libinnyandia
2. Besides the filibuster issue, the Senate by its very nature is dysfunctional: The 10 states with

the lowest population have 20 Senators. California, with approxiimately the same population has 2. The Senate is an ancient artifact from the past.

Apparently this DUmmy has no clue why the Senate is like that, the whole idea was to give each state equal, (and libs love "equality") representation in one house of government. The House is proportional to the population of each state. Also the Senate was intended to maintain the rights of each state, but we all know how much that has failed.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: Let's talk about the real F word!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 05:38:50 PM »
But the filibuster was great when the R's had the Senate and House.

Hypocrites.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 06:07:27 PM »
Watch the filibuster become a sacred and vital component of the democratic process--after November!!

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 06:18:33 PM »
Watch the filibuster become a sacred and vital component of the democratic process--after November!!

Yep all of a sudden obstruction will be a good thing at DU again.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 06:20:20 PM »

It was before - here is an example thread from 2005. There are dozens more just like it.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x1466872

Quote from: amjucsc  (195 posts)        Mon Jan-03-05 08:12 PM
Original message

What should the Dems fillibuster over the next two years?
   So with the Reps controlling the House, Senate, and the Presidency, it seems that the only useful tool the Dems have left in DC is the fillibuster.

What should the Democrats concentrate on talking to death over the next two years? How much can we reasonably hope to block, and what should be our priorities?

I say the supreme court and soc. sec. are the top two-- though I'll be livid if things like a gay marraige or an anti-flag burning amendment get passed.

Any other thoughts?

Quote from: slackmaster  (1000+ posts)          Mon Jan-03-05 08:16 PM
Response to Original message
1. Anything and everything
   The less this Congress does, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Quote from: Dr.Phool  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jan-03-05 08:30 PM
Response to Reply #1
6. Amen Brother
   You got that right. The less work this Congress does, the safer we are.

Quote from: Pithy Cherub  (1000+ posts)          Mon Jan-03-05 08:17 PM
2. Ensuring the filibuster rule stays intact! n/t

Quote from: Ian David  (1000+ posts)          Mon Jan-03-05 08:17 PM
3. They should filibuster everything
   The more filibusters, the less time the Repugs will have to pass any legislation this session.

Everything from budgets to defense bills to informal resolutions recognizing March First as National *****willow Awareness Day.

They should just gum-up the works until the Repugs lose their seats, Bush is impeached, or the election is over-turned.

Quote from: rwenos  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jan-03-05 08:22 PM
4. JUDICIAL APPOINTMENTS
   Just wait. A Court with Ken Starr, Ted Olson, Bob Bork, Clarence Thomas, and Chief Justice Scalia.

Quote from:  Pushed To The Left  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jan-03-05 08:34 PM
Response to Reply #4
7. Definitely judicial appointments!
   This is the most important domestic issue in my opinion. This will affect civil rights for the next 50 years.

Quote from: bowens43  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jan-03-05 08:23 PM
5. at very least, EVERY judge the idiot attempts to appoint.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 06:21:30 PM »
It was before - here is an example thread from 2005. There are dozens more just like it.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x1466872

The DUmmies smoke so much dope they done forgot all about 2001 through 2008.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 06:47:24 PM »
Let's also remember that the Obamessiah had a fillibuster-proof Senate for two years, DUmb****s.  If he had thought that he wouldn't get his ass kicked in November, he would have choked it through before January 3rd, 2011.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 07:23:10 PM »
To be a liberal is to be a hypocrite. They reek of hypocrisy.

Offline dixierose

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 07:28:01 PM »

Their hypocrisy knows no bounds :)
When Harry Truman was President of the United States, he had a sign on his desk in the White House that said: "The buck stops here." If Barack Obama had a sign on his desk, it would say: "The buck stops with Bush." - Thomas Sowell

Offline Doubleplusungood

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 07:42:52 PM »

High Five for exposing stark hypocrisy.