Author Topic: The view from someone who has largely dropped out.....comments on recent things  (Read 500 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member NRaleighLiberal (49,209 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213014047

The view from someone who has largely dropped out.....comments on recent things
I love DU - I poke my head in here a few times a day. It is where I get my news.

I was in the corporate world (big pharma) from 1984 until I was laid off in 2008 - then I went back and consulted for a year.

But - since 2010 - age 54 - I've been retired. I decided to finally make my hobby - gardening with an emphasis on heirlooms - my "job". I wrote two books, working on a third, go around the country doing talks and workshops. My wife quilts. We just moved (at last) to a smaller house and more rural area. We are overjoyed.

When I got laid off, we cut the cable - we have WiFi, but no TV and haven't watched any since 2008. We only get the Sunday NY Times - no other paper. We don't listen often to the radio.

The primaries in 2016 drove me off of DU for quite awhile - the behavior overall was deplorable.

Election night, by 9 O'Clock it was evident that something was wrong - I sincerely believe our election was hacked. HIllary won, Trump was "placed".

I can't stand it - since that night there are parts of each day that make no sense (when I do poke at the news). I see it happening again here and elsewhere - the splintering, the cult of personality, the arguing - and I have no doubt seeds of discord are being sown by bad actors.

The media has no idea of how to handle trump. Neither do other politicians. We've never had to deal with a serial liar, a borderline personality narcissist that is in the pocket of foreign powers. We have a world climate in crisis. We have addiction to destructive social networking turning our world into a collection of short attention span idiots.

So - I am in a way "sitting things out" and living my life - my wife and I are living our lives with our dogs and hobbies, trying to enjoy what this lovely world provides. I care - I will vote - I will vote for whoever opposes trump. I am more liberal than many here, but that's fine - it is a big tent - but I do shake my head at how my party since as long as I can remember has run so fast rightward away from me. I guess propaganda works.

So - I am here - still here - with less to say than usual because little makes any sense at all. I worry for the future of humanity. I don't worry for the earth, because she will just run her fever and burn us off - and we will be deserving of it.

I guess in a way I've about had enough. Enough of "out there" - but never enough of my wife, dogs, cats, life, nature, music, books.

:yawn:

Post removed

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Star Member nolabear (34,037 posts)

6. What a mean comment.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

SylviaD This message was self-deleted by its author.

SylviaD This message was self-deleted by its author.

Star Member paleotn (6,530 posts)

27. Yes. I do.

The point is, you're obviously here to start fights and sling shit. The arguments the OP mentioned. Not sure why. But if you want to be part of the mayhem that's taken over the Democratic party and normally reasonable people, have at it. I'm not playing your game anymore.

SylviaD (691 posts)

28. That's not what I intended.

It angers me when people claim the Democratic party has swung to the right. That's an untruth. I call out people who say that.

And you basically said my opinion is invalid because you haven't seen me post a lot. I've been here longer than you!

You can't blame me for getting a little irate. I'm 50 years old now and don't have the patience of the 20 year old girl who first voted!

Star Member paleotn (6,530 posts)

15. Aren't you the poster child for niceness.....

You have no idea what the poster went through. No idea at all....and yet feel it necessary to spew such nastiness. But your a liberal...more liberal than most here....so that makes your vitriol OK, I guess.

SylviaD (691 posts)

19. Why are you attacking him/her?

OP said the Democratic party (which they admitted they are NOT a part of) has moved "far to the right". UNTRUE

Now... hold on a minute... where did this OP retard say the dem party has moved to the right? Did I miss that?

I am more liberal than many here, but that's fine - it is a big tent - but I do shake my head at how my party since as long as I can remember has run so fast rightward away from me.

Now, he says it's gone rightward...which is a total lie... but ****, who knows... maybe this retard is left of Mao...

SylviaD (691 posts)

31. I'm sorry, I must have misread.

I guess my mind is playing tricks on me. I read so many things over the past while of people claiming they are no longer Democrats because of some kind of supposed "right wing shift" the party has taken and it's just not true. Brack Obama and Joe Biden are not to the right of Bill Clinton! This is often said by...let's be frank here...Sen. Sanders supporters who then ask for our vote to go to their candidate.

I apologize for making accusations.

This is why I choose to lurk instead of post I suppose.

richdj25 (28 posts)

9. Trump is a BSer

which from my old stomping grounds, he's to be treated and looked upon as a pure loser. After all, that's what he is.

Yes, he's occupying the oval office but why even bother showing any respect towards him?

That's the media's biggest problem, approaching Trump in the same manner as past presidents. That ship sailed a long time ago.

:whatever:

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline thundley4

We've never had to deal with a serial liar, a borderline personality narcissist that is in the pocket of foreign powers.

The OP perfectly described Obama.

Offline SVPete

"Big Pharma" and the R-D-RTP tech and R & D culture have been better since DU-member NRaleighLiberal became a seedy character and became vegetative. :tongue:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.