Author Topic: Evangelicals are a big part of the problem.  (Read 854 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Evangelicals are a big part of the problem.
« on: February 15, 2020, 09:11:21 PM »
Star Member milestogo (7,274 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212991643

Evangelicals are a big part of the problem.

I was talking to an evangelical this morning and I brought up Trump. She told me that he's been a big part of rooting out corruption in this country. And she told me she believes every single word of the Bible is true.

I don't know how anyone could believe that Trump is rooting out corruption, unless their brain has gone missing.

:whatever:

Star Member wcmagumba (1,239 posts)

1. Point on...

some kind of mass deprogramming required...

Star Member CanonRay (10,155 posts)

2. They've been the problem for forty years.

And getting worse.   

The Genealogist (3,635 posts)

3. I'd like these people to tell me what corruption he is rooting out.

I really don't hear much in the way of specifics. As far as I can tell, the only thing he has done since he got in office is golf and manufacture corruption. If corruption were a commodity, he'd have a significant portion of the market cornered.

jayschool2013 (1,596 posts)

24. The "Deep State"

Every time we read something in the Times, the Post or some other reputable news source about bureaucrats resigning in protest, the alternate right-wing media universe celebrates it as Trump further draining the swamp.

Until we can get to a point where we're all reading our news from similar sources, we'll never understand how the other can believe what appears to be the exact opposite of reality.

And I have my doubts whether we'll get to that point without some catastrophic upheaval. When those in my chosen profession are being singled out as the enemies of the state, we're not in a good place, obviously.

Star Member lunasun (18,351 posts)

5. He knew they were a gullible crowd . Sorry but it was a crack move to bring Pence on. I have to

give him evil credit on that alliance . They need proof of nothing and take him at his word
Spread the love!Spread the love!Spread the love!Spread the love!Spread the love!Spread the love!Spread the love!Spread the love!Spread the love!Spread the love!Spread the love! Click here to purchase valentine hearts!

Star Member stopbush (21,356 posts)

7. The BuyBull. What a piece of shit that book is.

Any correlation between people who believe the fantasies of the BuyBull being predisposed to believing the fantasies offered by Rs since Raygun?

Star Member bitterross (3,939 posts)

8. "Every, single word of the Bible is true" That should be a clue

If anyone tells you the Bible is the literal, inerrant word of "GOD" you should stop trying to logically discuss anything with them. Turn, and run away. They will have proven they are not capable of critical thinking. You are not going to change the years and years of their indoctrination in a short conversation.

Star Member hunter (30,753 posts)

10. Right wing Catholics are just as bad.

The Church is deeply fractured between Social Justice Catholics and Catholic Fascists.

Authoritarian religious people of any sort, whatever god or gods they claim to worship, are cut from the same cloth.

Star Member Arkansas Granny (25,771 posts)

12. I read an article several months ago that explained that evangelicals are conditioned by

their belief to accept authoritarian leaders. The author maintained that was the reason they stick with Trump regardless what he does.

I don't know if that's true, but it would help to explain their blind fealty.

J
ake Stern (2,780 posts)

60. Years back I was invited to visit a evangelical, Independent Baptist type church by a friend

The thing that struck me right away was how the Pastor's word was law. These folks weren't asking him advice on something - they were asking him for PERMISSION.

One woman had brought up that she was offered a better paying job but he shot it down as soon as he learned she wouldn't be able to attend church on Sunday nights and Wednesday nights. He said, with a look of complete seriousness, "No, you're not!" and she and her husband nodded approvingly.

This was just over the line in MO.

:thatsright:

Star Member Skidmore (37,089 posts)

16. When you confront them on

immorality and his personal corruption, they talk about his economy. When you bring up racism, they talk about we love all and refuse to engage. When you talk about treatment of the poor, immigrants, LGBTQ and children, they go hard core Leviticus. When you speak of women's rights, we are back at Adam's rib and bearing children in pain to pay for Adam not following rules.

Newest Reality (6,939 posts)

26. The more you read up on them...

The more of the problem you see. The underlying impetus would be to establish a theocracy with some sort of fetish for Mosaic Law, (which is not only archaic, but rather barbaric by our secular standards).

Again, theocracy is in direct opposition to democracy and I oppose anything that opposes democracy, because you and I, all of us, ARE democracy and that means they oppose us as citizens of this country and its common, established principles.

gembaby1 (115 posts)

31. Evangelicals have problems with brain abnormalities

So that’s not surprising. The woman is in a cult and these people have nothing to do with true Christianity.

Star Member calguy (1,834 posts)

34. I was born and raised in an evangelical church family

We weren't a hard core Christian family but my parents did send us to the parochial christian school operated by our church. The only reason we went there was because my mom went there So she sent us there too. So from kindergarten until 8th grade I was indoctrinated every day in the teachings of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. As we were going through the grades whenever one of us kids had a question the minister or teacher could not answer their response was always " Do not question the word of God. Nor should you question the minister, who is God's spokesman, nor anyone in the church" So these people are taught not to question anything or even think of questioning anything their church says. Classic brainwashing in the name of Jesus. They'll follow trump through the gates of Hell if their leaders tell them to, because they have been trained not to question anything they've been told. This is why they so willingly follow trump even though he violates everything they stand for, because their leaders tell them not to question anything they say, and they don't.

:thatsright:

DENVERPOPS (1,404 posts)

37. A Nation of Sheep.......50+ million of them.

Some one, Newsweek?, described (seriously) the brain washing effect of listening to Fox News and Rush Limbaugh for years on end as their only source of information, and that alone would create the same effect.....

That and watching continuous "Reality TV" which would soon distort and cloud any viewer's comprehension of any and all rational thinking about even the simplest legitimate reality....

We have all questioned, "are all these people "brainwashed" ????????

It's as if they were held captive in a NorthComm/Re-education camp for years..........

All the Repubs had to do, was look around for an already existing, huge group of "followers", and bingo.........an instantaneous loyal group.
Then find a reality TV star that could wind them up............

Then, gather all the Republican corporate men and/or wealthy. Next, increase these top dogs wealth with ludicrous tax cuts, increasing all their wealth substantially overnight and you are off to the races........

patphil (959 posts)

39. I've come to realize that a lot of right wing Christians are not big into critical thinking.

I tell people that the old testament is worthless as a spiritual guide.
Jesus didn't teach old testament ideas. He brought forth a new, love based, way of thinking and living, and true Catholics and Christians should only pay attention to the New Testament if they want to follow the path of Jesus.

Pat Phillips

Star Member tiredtoo (1,762 posts)

42. on facebook there is a post

Showing the MAGA hat and something from the bible about the anti-christ and how his followers will carry his mark on their foreheads. I dug this up from the bible.

"Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thorns, or figs from thistles? So, every sound tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears evil fruit. A sound tree cannot bear evil fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus you will know them by their fruits."

In doing so I remembered the part about trees that don't bear fruit should be cut down and thrown into the fire. An evangelical preacher said those words in condemnation of Gays.
I was at the service because my grandson was getting baptized there. Sad to say.

Hulk (5,815 posts)

45. Radical Islamists.....our answer radical evangeliKKKals

I don't even consider them Christians any longer. They are to Christianity what the "jihadist terrorists" are to Islam. They distort and selectively pick pieces of the holy book to fit their demonic form of religious righteousness.

hamsterjill (9,931 posts)

52. Evangelicals are THE problem.

They are neither compassionate nor true Christians and it’s time they are called out for what they are.

Star Member I_UndergroundPanther (693 posts)

57. Evilvangelcals

Have a very narcissistic veiw of the bible. Just read the end times crap and read it from a bullies perspective. A chosen one who is rewarded to be a priest king and bash his enemies with iron rods. Those in heaven can see people suffering in hell.. It's all disgusting. That is why I am a malthiest..

Maltheism (from "mal" meaning bad, or illness, and theism, from... well, theism) is the idea that God is just out to get us and that he or she or it is malicious, like a kid who keeps removing the pool ladders in The Sims. A Maltheist, therefore, is someone who believes that a god or gods exist, and that they are evil, malicious, incompetent, or otherwise causing the suffering of humanity. In essence, Maltheism is the idea that God exists, but is essentially toying with us.

While just as conjectural and unproven (and indeed unlikely) as all other forms of theism, maltheism boasts the notable feature of solving the otherwise show-stopping problem of evil. Further, several other major problems with a theistic God, such as the propagation of several contradictory divine messages (with recommendations of holy war to resolve the dispute), God's failure to provide any clear evidence whatsoever for His own existence, the wasteful and sometimes incompetent design choices made in creation, etc. all become unproblematic facts of life once the maltheistic assumption is made — that God really is a deranged intergalactic Joker with a Stalinist streak.

As further proof of the fact that innate morals predate religion however, almost no ethically serious person chooses maltheism over the far more fallacious — and, crucially, more wish-fulfilling — concept of (somehow benign) theism.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline thundley4

Re: Evangelicals are a big part of the problem.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 09:28:42 PM »
Star Member wcmagumba (1,239 posts)

1. Point on...

some kind of mass deprogramming required...

I remember from history that there were other countries that had camps for people that needed "reeducating".

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 09:46:04 PM »
Star Member calguy (1,834 posts)

We weren't a hard core Christian family but my parents did send us to the parochial christian school operated by our church. The only reason we went there was because my mom went there So she sent us there too. So from kindergarten until 8th grade I was indoctrinated every day in the teachings of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. As we were going through the grades whenever one of us kids had a question the minister or teacher could not answer their response was always " Do not question the word of God. Nor should you question the minister, who is God's spokesman, nor anyone in the church" So these people are taught not to question anything or even think of questioning anything their church says. Classic brainwashing in the name of Jesus. They'll follow trump through the gates of Hell if their leaders tell them to, because they have been trained not to question anything they've been told. This is why they so willingly follow trump even though he violates everything they stand for, because their leaders tell them not to question anything they say, and they don't.

Ummmmm :rotf: ! First, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) did not exist until 1987. "ELCA" was the new name for the denomination that was the product of the merger of the Lutheran Church in America and the American Lutheran Church. Unless calguy is under 55, his :bouncy: has an anachronism problem.

Second, ELCA is the most liberal - socially and theologically - of the three major Lutheran bodies. Being theological liberals, "Do not question the word of God" is not something they would tell students, if they even have parochial schools.

Third, I was raised in the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, one of the two theologically conservative major Lutheran bodies. And I attended a parochial school operated by my parents' church for three grades (after which it was closed, being too small to pay a teacher a remunerative salary). While the Bible was taught as authoritative, never in the terms calguy claimed. And while our pastors were respected, I NEVER heard anything remotely resembling what calguy claimed.

IMO, calguy probably lied, ignorantly basing his lies on the word "Evangelical" in ELCA's name and playing on the likelihood that no DUpipo have experience with ELCA or other Lutheran churches and DUpipos' hate-fueled general ignorance of Evangelical Christians.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 09:11:42 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 01:53:18 AM »
This is, of course, nothing but a masturbatory thread written by Dummies who have had none of the interactions or experiences they claim to have had.  This is how they think things are when they are not. 

I was raised being bounced between the Pentecostal and Baptist churches.  I never met any of the people they claim to have met.  I even stumped a Baptist preacher based on verses in a Sunday school lesson that seemed to indicate that the dead walked upon the Earth during a solar eclipse that occurred at the time of Jesus execution.  It confused me because I had never heard of either event, yet there they both are in the bible.  I still don't have a good reason for it.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 01:59:41 AM »
Imagine a thread at the DUmp that starts with  "muslims are a big part of the problem "...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 06:37:36 PM »
Well, time for me to put on some Rebecca St. James and tackle some ignorant, anti- Christian hatemongering from one of the 'Net's most vile and prolific sources of it!

"Star Member wcmagumba (1,239 posts)

1. Point on...

some kind of mass deprogramming required..."
The DUmmies' ideological brethren in places like the Soviet Union, Cuba, China, North Korea and Cambodia felt the same way, and their methods of "Mass deprogramming" resulted in some of the most hideous human- rights violations in human history.

"Until we can get to a point where we're all reading our news from similar sources,"
In other words, this DUmmy is openly calling for the stifling of dissenting views.

"Star Member stopbush (21,356 posts)
7. The BuyBull. What a piece of shit that book is.
Any correlation between people who believe the fantasies of the BuyBull being predisposed to believing the fantasies offered by Rs since Raygun?"
1. Ah, the "Party of Tolerance" at work.
2. Ah, openly insulting the religion practiced by the majority of Americans, and by extension implying that all who follow it are stupid/ gullible. And the DUmmies wonder why their leaders keep losing elections?
3. I believe, based on my limited human understanding, that one of the things I'll be most looking forward to in Heaven will be the blessedly enhanced sense of perspective I'll have up there, a much better sense of "The big picture," and how things fit together. However, posts like that remind me of another great benefit to being in Heaven: I won't have to put up with ignorant, cynical, obscene, hate- filled jerks like this DUmmy up there stinking things up. He/ she'll instead be going somewhere much hotter, filled with people who hate God and His Word as much as he/ she does.

"Star Member bitterross (3,939 posts)

8. "Every, single word of the Bible is true" That should be a clue

If anyone tells you the Bible is the literal, inerrant word of "GOD" you should stop trying to logically discuss anything with them. Turn, and run away. They will have proven they are not capable of critical thinking. You are not going to change the years and years of their indoctrination in a short conversation."

See all the same responses I had for the previous comment.

"Star Member Arkansas Granny (25,771 posts)

12. I read an article several months ago that explained that evangelicals are conditioned by

their belief to accept authoritarian leaders. The author maintained that was the reason they stick with Trump regardless what he does."
Wrong all the way!
Evangelical Christians are taught to only worship the one true God, and not to let cults of personality develop around any human leader.

"ake Stern (2,780 posts)

60. Years back I was invited to visit a evangelical, Independent Baptist type church by a friend

The thing that struck me right away was how the Pastor's word was law. These folks weren't asking him advice on something - they were asking him for PERMISSION.

One woman had brought up that she was offered a better paying job but he shot it down as soon as he learned she wouldn't be able to attend church on Sunday nights and Wednesday nights. He said, with a look of complete seriousness, "No, you're not!" and she and her husband nodded approvingly.

This was just over the line in MO."

:bsmeter:

Bouncy, bouncy!
See my previous comment, none but the most hardcore lunatic- fringe, do- not- represent- even- a- twentieth- of- American- evangelicals, pseudo- Christian cults of personality would be THAT much in lockstep with what their pastor says or let him have that much direct influence over their actions.

"
Star Member Skidmore (37,089 posts)

16. When you confront them on

immorality and his personal corruption, they talk about his economy. When you bring up racism, they talk about we love all and refuse to engage. When you talk about treatment of the poor, immigrants, LGBTQ and children, they go hard core Leviticus. When you speak of women's rights, we are back at Adam's rib and bearing children in pain to pay for Adam not following rules."
 :straw:
In particular, the part about how evangelicals supposedly feel about women is a complete BS stereotype. I can be considered an evangelical, and have been around MANY evangelical churches, and have never seen a single person in any of them speak that way about women.

"Newest Reality (6,939 posts)

26. The more you read up on them...

The more of the problem you see. The underlying impetus would be to establish a theocracy with some sort of fetish for Mosaic Law, (which is not only archaic, but rather barbaric by our secular standards).

Again, theocracy is in direct opposition to democracy and I oppose anything that opposes democracy, because you and I, all of us, ARE democracy and that means they oppose us as citizens of this country and its common, established principles."
Wrong again!
We do not seek to impose a theocracy; We merely seek to ensure that Christians' basic religious rights are protected from being infringed upon by leftist Christophobes like this DUmmy. That's why we support Trump, because he has proven to be much more interested in ensuring that Christians' rights are protected than Obama was (His odious "Birth Control mandate" which would have forced Christian pro- life employers to either go against the teachings of their faith and basic dictates of their consciences by paying for their employees' abortions as part of their healthcare plans, or else be branded as criminals; Trump thankfully reversed this with an Executive Order a few months into his administration) or Hillary would have been if she had won (i.e. At a speech she gave shortly before she officially began her 2016 campaign, she openly said that people's religious beliefs "Need to be changed" in order to advance her psychotically pro- abortion policies).

"gembaby1 (115 posts)

31. Evangelicals have problems with brain abnormalities

So that’s not surprising. The woman is in a cult and these people have nothing to do with true Christianity."
Another ignorant bigot slinging insults at people who follow America's dominant religion.

"Star Member calguy (1,834 posts)

We weren't a hard core Christian family but my parents did send us to the parochial christian school operated by our church. The only reason we went there was because my mom went there So she sent us there too. So from kindergarten until 8th grade I was indoctrinated every day in the teachings of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. As we were going through the grades whenever one of us kids had a question the minister or teacher could not answer their response was always " Do not question the word of God. Nor should you question the minister, who is God's spokesman, nor anyone in the church" So these people are taught not to question anything or even think of questioning anything their church says. Classic brainwashing in the name of Jesus. They'll follow trump through the gates of Hell if their leaders tell them to, because they have been trained not to question anything they've been told. This is why they so willingly follow trump even though he violates everything they stand for, because their leaders tell them not to question anything they say, and they don't."
SVPete already did a great job shooting down this idiotic post.
However, I must add, no Christian church or organization would refer to a minister as "God's spokesman." That would be blasphemous and cultish. My family and I certainly had no problem questioning some of our now- retired pastor's policies. Just a couple days ago, my father openly expressed righteous outrage over a very unethical decision our former pastor had made relating to some property that a deceased client of his (My dad's, a retired investment banker) had willed to the church.

"
DENVERPOPS (1,404 posts)

37. A Nation of Sheep.......50+ million of them.

Some one, Newsweek?, described (seriously) the brain washing effect of listening to Fox News and Rush Limbaugh for years on end as their only source of information, and that alone would create the same effect.....

That and watching continuous "Reality TV" which would soon distort and cloud any viewer's comprehension of any and all rational thinking about even the simplest legitimate reality....

We have all questioned, "are all these people "brainwashed" ????????

It's as if they were held captive in a NorthComm/Re-education camp for years..........

All the Repubs had to do, was look around for an already existing, huge group of "followers", and bingo.........an instantaneous loyal group.
Then find a reality TV star that could wind them up............

Then, gather all the Republican corporate men and/or wealthy. Next, increase these top dogs wealth with ludicrous tax cuts, increasing all their wealth substantially overnight and you are off to the races........"
1. Again, openly insulting the majority of Americans. Not the best attitude to have if seeking to win elections.
2. They ALWAYS have to bring up Fox News and Rush Limbaugh, don't they? It factors into practically every discussion the DUmmies make about anything. THEY obsess over Fox News and Limbaugh more than the supposedly "Brainwashed" conservatives do.
3. Most evangelical Christians not only don't watch reality television, they openly despise most if not all of it as asinine, crass, obscene, immoral trash. Don't forget, evangelical Christians are the same sorts of people that the DUmmies in another argument portray as sheltered "Prudes," do you really think such people would be fans of the likes of 'Jersey Shore' and 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians'?
4. The "Re- education camp" part particularly sticks out considering the earlier comment insisting that Christians need "Some kind of mass- deprogramming," and considering how Christians in Communist nations (Aka the form of government the DUmmies and other leftists believe should be inflicted upon us, by force if necessary) were indeed shipped off to "Re- education camps" to be tortured and killed unless they denied Christ and became atheists.

"patphil (959 posts)

39. I've come to realize that a lot of right wing Christians are not big into critical thinking.

I tell people that the old testament is worthless as a spiritual guide.
Jesus didn't teach old testament ideas. He brought forth a new, love based, way of thinking and living, and true Catholics and Christians should only pay attention to the New Testament if they want to follow the path of Jesus.

Pat Phillips"
1. AAAAND, yet ANOTHER post openly insulting and stereotyping the religion that the majority of Americans follow. You know what? The DUmmies will never listen, and will never learn. Truly THEY are the ones incapable of critical thinking. That fact will likely contribute to Trump being re- elected.
2. The Old Testament teaches much that is still important to those who follow Jesus. Consider the noble example of the Old Testament heroes of the faith (i.e. Moses, David, Gideon, the prophets, etc.), the Old Testament prophecies which Jesus fulfilled and which prove He is the Son of God, the beauty of the Psalms, the timeless wisdom of the Proverbs, etc..
3. Jesus taught Old Testament ideas, but to look at them in more complex ways (i.e. Matthew 5:21-22 and 27- 28).

"Star Member tiredtoo (1,762 posts)

42. on facebook there is a post

Showing the MAGA hat and something from the bible about the anti-christ and how his followers will carry his mark on their foreheads."
They've tried to claim this BS before, but it has a few big problems:
1. The AntiChrist will be someone who will be beloved by nearly everyone in the world for much of his reign, due to his deceptive nature, and will be seen as a force for peace and unity. Trump, even before entering politics, had loads of detractors (Does the name "Rosie O'Donnell" ring a bell?) and was no stranger to controversy. Obama came closer to achieving that kind of near- universal love and support than Trump did (i.e. in the 2016 campaign, Jimmy Kimmel once said something to the effect that he had a hard time coming up with jokes about Obama because the guy was "Practically perfect in every way").
2. It's also believed the AntiChrist will come from somewhere in Europe, most likely Italy.
3. The Bible says that the Mark of the Beast will be required to buy or sell anything. We have seen MAGA hats have the opposite effect, as those wearing them have been denied service at certain businesses, harassed, and physically attacked.

"Hulk (5,815 posts)

45. Radical Islamists.....our answer radical evangeliKKKals

I don't even consider them Christians any longer. They are to Christianity what the "jihadist terrorists" are to Islam. They distort and selectively pick pieces of the holy book to fit their demonic form of religious righteousness."

Ah, so Christians seeking to have their basic Constitutional rights protected and peacefully live out their faith are the equivalent of Jihadist terrorists who commit brutal mass murder and other forms of horrific violence?
Pathetic.

"Star Member I_UndergroundPanther (693 posts)

57. Evilvangelcals

Have a very narcissistic veiw of the bible. Just read the end times crap and read it from a bullies perspective. A chosen one who is rewarded to be a priest king and bash his enemies with iron rods. Those in heaven can see people suffering in hell.. It's all disgusting. That is why I am a malthiest.."

Huh, the subway kitty is still alive?
Her past posts prove she has no business calling others "Narcissistic."
She also has no business referring to the book of Revelation as "Crap," considering that she has claimed that she has spoken telepathically with the spirit of her dead pet rooster "Blackie," and that he apparently told her that the bird flu outbreak was caused by righteously- angry chicken ghosts as a way of somehow communicating with humans about the evils of the meat- packing industry as it pertained to the treatment of chickens.
I'm not surprised she latched her claws onto this post, she has long been one of the most rabid Christophobes on the DUmp.
She can keep her "Maltheism," I'm happy to worship Jesus, the one true God, who was kind enough and loving enough to suffer and die to pay the penalty for my sins and enable me to one day join Him in Heaven.

Whew, that's a LOT of DU BS to wade through! I'm exhausted!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 07:09:29 PM by Movie buff- The Sequel »

Offline SVPete

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 08:50:20 AM »
Star Member Arkansas Granny (25,771 posts)

their belief to accept authoritarian leaders. The author maintained that was the reason they stick with Trump regardless what he does.

I don't know if that's true, but it would help to explain their blind fealty.

I know a simpler and less ludicrous way to learn about Evangelicals ... hang out with us for a while. Read what we are taught, listen our discussions, watch what we do. We happily accept responsibility for damage done to your stereotypes, :rotf: .

ake Stern (2,780 posts)

This was just over the line in MO.

That is so bizarrely and utterly different from anything I've observed in 60+ years in Evangelical churches of various flavors that I'm inclined to doubt this :bouncy: 's veracity. The superfluous line, "This was just over the line in MO," has the fictional What Is Wrong With Kansas ring of a DUpipo trying too hard to make a fictional :bouncy: sound real.

This phrase, "evangelical, Independent Baptist type church" may be a bit of a malaprop. Either its phrasing shows extremely limited familiarity with Evangelicals generally (despite the implied claim to be describing something more or less typical), or ignorance of even the proper self-describing name, "Independent Fundamental Baptist Church".

But I know that if one looks hard enough long enough one can find almost anything. That said, despite having lived in and close to San Jose for nearly 40 years I do not know where to look for a congregation anything like what this DUpipo described. All in all, it's a very DUbious :bouncy: .
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Delmar

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 09:30:26 AM »
Response to milestogo (Original post)Sun Feb 16, 2020, 03:04 PM
Star Member Maraya1969 (15,184 posts)
66. Show this person Fox's articles on Trump's scams. His stealing from charity and

his university scams and then continue to give them stuff from a network that they trust.

It will blow their frigging minds.

The primitives seem to think that all conservatives watch Fox News--not just watch it, they think our eyes are glued to it from dawn to dusk.  I don't know about everybody else here, but I watch Fox News so rarely that I can pretty much say that I never watch it.  I don't have cable.  The primitives watch more Fox News than I do--judging from the bouncies they tell about being bombarded with it at the mechanic shop, dentist  office, etc. 
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 12:19:47 AM »

Offline SVPete

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 08:59:25 AM »
The primitives seem to think that all conservatives watch Fox News--not just watch it, they think our eyes are glued to it from dawn to dusk.  I don't know about everybody else here, but I watch Fox News so rarely that I can pretty much say that I never watch it.  I don't have cable.  The primitives watch more Fox News than I do--judging from the bouncies they tell about being bombarded with it at the mechanic shop, dentist  office, etc.

Going by their :bouncy: s, there are many DU-folk who watch more Fox News than Mrs. SVPete and I have watched put together, :rotf: . Just like they cannot conceive of intelligent, decent people having opinions so very different from their own, they cannot imagine so many people having those people of differing opinions not having it fed to them by some eeee-vile entity.

My Christian beliefs are the foundation of my life. Among them are that humans are God's design and creation, not the highest animal to have evolved so far. God being our Creator, He has the authority to tell us how He designed us to live, honoring Him and honoring others: not substituting phony surrogates for Him; not murdering other humans; not having sex promiscuously like many animals do; not stealing others' property; not falsely accusing and perjuring against others or even gossiping; not envying what other people have.

It wasn't always this way, but many/most in the Dem Party leadership:

* Attack religious believers and beliefs;

* Honor murderers like Stalin, Mao, and Che' and protect murderers of certain PC-classes;

* Honor the likes of Teddy the Snorkel or Katie Hill or ......

* Are fine with government taxing people discriminatorily ("The Rich" paying taxes at a high % rate) and certain PC-classes stealing from others;

* Memogate ... the NYT's false accusation that McCain had had an affair with a lobbyist friend ... Reid's knowingly false claim Romney didn't pay taxes ... Clarence Thomas and Brett Kavanaugh ... Creepy Porn Liar and Creepy Porn Lawyer ... the Trump-Russia Collusion Delusion and the myriad faux-scandals-of-the-week ...

The Rs are not perfect, and there are some against whom I voted and some whose names I voted as far less awful that their opponent. But the Rs do not celebrate violations of these fundamental standards of basic human decency the way Dems do. As for DUpipo, many/most still believe it even after Mueller's Partisan Gang had to admit it was utterly groundless and probably high-fived Reid's, "It worked," after his lie was exposed.

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 09:49:41 AM »

Offline jukin

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 12:12:46 PM »
Hello Kettle.

This is Pot Calling.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.