Author Topic: Poll: Are We Relevant?  (Read 772 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Poll: Are We Relevant?
« on: February 03, 2009, 12:52:04 AM »
You know, ever since the elections last November, the primitives on Skins's island have constantly reminded us that we're irrelevant, that we don't count any more.

It's kind of a dangerous thing to do, telling someone he doesn't count--as the Incompetent One (1977-1981) learned--but I'm not about to stop the primitives from doing it.

I decided to take the word of the primitives, and to take a two-year vacation from being relevant; after all, being relevant is hard work, and one needs a break once in a while.

Sort of like the long-suffering husband driving an automobile, who endures much back-seat driving from the wife, until he finally pulls over to the side of the road and says, "Okay, now you drive."

Of course we're relevant in the moral sense; decent and civilized people always count for more than indecent and uncivilized people.  It's sort of like being outnumbered in numbers, but overpowering in sheer strength.

But in the practical sense, with the Democrats owning the White House and both Houses of Congress, we don't have excresence.  Yeah, sure, we can use the rules to delay something by 24 hours, but that's it.  We can slow down the steam-roller (for 24 hours), but we can't stop it.

So when the primitives said we're irrelevant, I happily thought, "Good, I can take a two-year vacation."

But one's getting mixed messages from the primitives; on one hand, they say we're irrelevant, but on the other hand, they're always griping about how we're "obstructing" things.  How a mere circa 40 Republican senators and 180 Republican congressmen can obstruct something escapes me, but perhaps that's the primitive mathematics, the primitive reality, where a smaller number is larger than a larger number.

So after the elections, I packed up the station wagon, planning on taking a vacation from being relevant, but then just as I turned the ignition, the telephone rang; it was the boss calling, telling me to curtail the vacation and get back to work being relevant.

One goes back to work being relevant, and then the primitives again tell us we're irrelevant, so one locks the office and goes to the still-packed station wagon, planning on finally taking that vacation from relevance.

But then the telephone rings again; the boss again, telling one the situation's changed, and best get back to work being relevant.

One drives back to the office, and is relevant for a while, but then the primitives again remind us that we're irrelevant, and so one figures, okay, now's the time to get away.....

Then the telephone rings again.....

Personally, I'm getting pretty tired of this; there's only 21 more months until we get back to work being relevant again, and I'd like to take a break.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Poll: Are We Relevant?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:41:00 AM »
Conservatism is relevant in America.  The GOP is not... or they have not proven themselves to be to the voting public.  Reagan did not beat Walter Mondale in a 49-state landslide by pretending to be a Democrat.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 02:11:09 AM »
They never we Frank

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 04:58:31 AM »
Coach, sir, as long as they are wasting brainpower . . . which they don't have a whole lot of in the first place, but stay with me here . . . As long as they are wasting time and energy (better way to describe it) on us, that's less they can waste on their next score of weed, or Cheetos.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 06:07:34 AM »
Conservatism is relevant in America.  The GOP is not... or they have not proven themselves to be to the voting public.  Reagan did not beat Walter Mondale in a 49-state landslide by pretending to be a Democrat.
IMO, a better term for the GOP today is impotent.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 06:49:17 AM »
I am what I am, a natural man.  Whether I am relevant or not is of no moment to me.  I steer where the wind commands, not where others wish it to take me.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 08:00:43 AM »
Considering the 46% of Americans who didn't vote for B. Hussein own probably around 80-85% of the wealth of the country, yes, we're relevant.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 08:32:28 AM »
Republicans need to continue to vote against every single piece of garbage they put out there for the next two years so they can start winning their seats back (which will take several election cycles).     

We have already seen the results of their standing together.   The Democrats in the Senate are getting cold feet and don't want to own this pork bill disaster -- especially those whose seats are up.    The bill will be rewritten as a result. 

The republicans are saying 'it's all you baby' to the left, which has removed the smoke and mirrors.    Let's see what they got.   

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 08:37:53 AM »
Republicans need to continue to vote against every single piece of garbage they put out there for the next two years so they can start winning their seats back (which will take several election cycles).     

We have already seen the results of their standing together.   The Democrats in the Senate are getting cold feet and don't want to own this pork bill disaster -- especially those whose seats are up.    The bill will be rewritten as a result. 

The republicans are saying 'it's all you baby' to the left, which has removed the smoke and mirrors.    Let's see what they got.

That's my attitude.

I know we're relevant, in the moral sense of the word, but in the political sense, for at least the next 21 months, we're irrelevant.

So I'm enthusiastic about demonstrating our irrelevance by Republicans simply voting "no" or "present"--the precedent for the latter of course being set by 0bama--as we don't have the numbers in Congress to change the outcome of anything anyway.
apres moi, le deluge