Author Topic: How close is America to a dictatorship?  (Read 468 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
How close is America to a dictatorship?
« on: December 14, 2019, 04:00:03 PM »
kentuck (94,759 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212782565

How close is America to a dictatorship?
It seems to me that the present occupant of the White House has taken total control of all the Departments of our government, including State, Defense, Homeland Security, Energy, OMB, Treasury, etc.

He also has total control of the Senate at this time. He has control of all the Republicans in the House. They have been frantically stacking the courts with their people.

The only part of government that they do not "control" at this time is the Democratic majority of the House of Representatives.

How close are we to total control by a dictator?

Not to be paranoid or unreasonably fearful, but it seems we are getting very near total control by the Chump in the White House?

says the party who tried to install their 'chosen' pick for president and when they failed, tried to overthrow the elected president...

We are so lucky they are total twats and ****ed it all up.

Star Member CrispyQ (27,115 posts)

1. If the GOP keeps the Senate & the WH, it's game over for the US as we know it, IMO.

I don't believe we'll survive another four years of this. The House just isn't enough to stave off the damage that is Trump/Barr/McConnell.

You keep going this way and we'll take the house back and take several more seats in the Senate... not to mention many more judges and probably two more SCOTUS judges...

Star Member Hoyt (40,591 posts)

2. We've got cruddy leadership right now, but don't feel we are close to a dictatorship. GOPers said

same about Obama.

In any event, if we vote next November, we'll depose the cruddy leadership.

Star Member milestogo (6,801 posts)

13. Please. What GOPers said about Obama was pure nonsense.

There is NO comparison.

:whatever:

Baked Potato (752 posts)

6. He only has temporary control

There is immense pushback at every level. His hasn’t solidified a Staff beyond a couple aids and his offspring. His cabinet level managers have been forced to leave in disgrace. He has anonymous insiders watching his every move. Most of his military moves have been delayed, rescinded, changed, or outright ignored. In shear numbers, he is overpowered. He is being sued and investigated for just about everything he has ever done.

I do expect him to become increasingly paranoid and vile. He will stop at nothing to save himself and/or his family from financial ruin or prison. Every bit of our patience and determination will be tried by him.

:loser: and yet the country is better right now that it has been in decades...

delisen (4,417 posts)

7. Fairly Close

The courts are being packed with ideological unqualified judges. executive branch being hollowed out, it appears we cannot retake the senate it 2020, and we are being told that Russia is to be a factor again in 2020.

I believe our position is precarious because a significant part of the electorate is seeking the simplicity of authoritarian rule by a strongman and may other governments face the same threat.

I believe the battle will not be won unless we face the facts and are prepared to confront and be forceful but non-violent.

We need to engage totally now because the situation will become increasing precarious as the reality of climate change will be upon us and authoritarians will double down on the desire for totalitarian "strongman' rule.

they are already preparing themselves for the loss...

Newest Reality (6,109 posts)

9. I would venture that...

we are as close as the GOP collectively wants to take us as a means to wrest power from our system in order to prevent their growing irrelevance and obsolescence from dissolving the party or breaking it up in the next decade or two.

I think they see this clearly and that progress itself will prove to be too much for a dinosaur party that is becoming more dissonant and counter-productive than ever. It is hard for them to deflect that fact. This last gasp may take some time, but it may yield to either the gradual emergence of a new opposition party or a breakup and reformation of what we now call the GOP. It ain't grand anymore. It's a pathetic disgrace in so many ways you need an whole article to illustrate that.

We are also only as close as we let this go. I just have to emphasize that, despite the media, squabbles, propaganda, fake news, whatever, this is based mostly in our minds and hearts first and foremost. Where did most everything in the room you see right now come from initially? Somebody's mind had the idea and then it was produced, not the other way around. Did the country create the Constitution or did the Founders?

It should be obvious that our collective mindset creates our narrative and we can frame it from that, not merely the events and behaviors that corporate media tends to emphasize, nor from the opposition party having a group mental breakdown as the death knell rings out and they shriek and gyrate while sinking into a pit of their own making. Our enemies, (if that term is relevant) are fear, confusion and our own projection, and maybe a bit of laziness or distraction.

I encourage all of our members and our party to forge a collective vision that becomes a persistent and easily recognizable narrative around which we all can gather for inspiration and confidence. That's vitally important when the circumstances are so grievous and and emotionally taxing.

I don't don't place much value in false hopes and positive thinking, or even ideologies, per se, but surely we can use optimistic facts and informed intentions to frame a blueprint for victory together as a consortium of real patriots who will preserve our system and even manage to expand and improve it because of this challenge we face together. I think our Founders would agree and could empathize with this challenge we face.

This is truly a time for vision, unity, conviction and solidarity.

:mental:

jpak (37,568 posts)

15. After acquittal - it will be

He will know he can get away with anything - nicluding murder on 5th Ave - no more checks and balances.

Yup

Lonestarblue (1,444 posts)

19. We have until June of next year.

IF the Supreme Court decides that no sitting (Republican) president can be indicted or even investigated for any crime, then we have a complete takeover by a dictator. We have one opportunity in November 2020. If we fail to gain the presidency and at least keep the House, the American experiment will be over. Four more years of Trump will result in utter destruction of any democratic ideals or norms. Given the makeup of the Supreme Court, I am not optimistic because the majority now seems to favor rule by the corporate class of wealthy white people. I still have hope, but 2020 is the most important election of my lifetime.

:whatever:

bucolic_frolic (14,044 posts)

24. Take what hope you can from

the progress we made in the House, and in state houses and governorships. We are winning elections. It's by no means certain we will have elections in 2020, but it's still likely. Several states held by Democrats are large, strong states. I think we gained 8 governorhips in 2019? California, New York, Virginia, and to some degree Pennsylvania and the midwest haev made stateside progress as well.

What will happen with the Federal government is anyone's guess. We didn't want this, but in some ways we earned it. We were not vigilant, we as a Democratic Party were not focused on ideology to counter the opposition, we were focused too much on policy and outcomes and were blocked by minorities at times, and McConnell.

One party control is what we must fight. I think our party is too focused on money, and not enough on articulating ideology to educate and change voters' minds. But then again, money is free speech, so let's get all we can.

:mental:

AncientGeezer (1,691 posts)

31. "How close are we to total control by a dictator?"

A metric shit ton away....what would make you ask that delusional question?

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: How close is America to a dictatorship?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 04:31:39 PM »
AncientGeezer (1,691 posts)

31. "How close are we to total control by a dictator?"

A metric shit ton away....what would make you ask that delusional question?

Ancient Geezer for the thread win!
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline jukin

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 05:06:18 PM »
Hey DUchebags, you want to see a one party dictatorship look at the very ****ed up states of Kalifornia and Nuevo Yoke. 

I am looking forward to the rout on election night 2020.  The sissy screams from the left and media, but I repeat myself, will be exquisite.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 07:16:29 PM »
delisen (4,417 posts)

7. Fairly Close

The courts are being packed with ideological unqualified judges. executive branch being hollowed out, it appears we cannot retake the senate it 2020, and we are being told that Russia is to be a factor again in 2020.

I believe our position is precarious because a significant part of the electorate is seeking the simplicity of authoritarian rule by a strongman and may other governments face the same threat.

I believe the battle will not be won unless we face the facts and are prepared to confront and be forceful but non-violent.

We need to engage totally now because the situation will become increasing precarious as the reality of climate change will be upon us and authoritarians will double down on the desire for totalitarian "strongman' rule.

Be forceful but non-violent? So they just need to rant more on DU and use more exclamation points and CAPS?
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 12:35:08 PM »
Same shit, second or third Republican president they "claim" will do this....

DUmmies, ESAD
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.