Author Topic: UN vandals spray graffiti on Sahara’s prehistoric art  (Read 3254 times)

Offline bijou

UN vandals spray graffiti on Sahara’s prehistoric art
« on: January 31, 2008, 01:48:24 PM »

Spectacular prehistoric depictions of animal and human figures created up to 6,000 years ago on Western Saharan rocks have been vandalised by United Nations peacekeepers, The Times has learnt.

Archaeological sites boasting ancient paintings and engravings of giraffes, buffalo and elephants have been defaced within the past two years by personnel attached to the UN mission, known by its French acronym, Minurso.

Graffiti, some of it more than a metre high and sprayed with paint meant for use for marking routes, now blights the rock art at Lajuad, an isolated site known as Devil Mountain, which is regarded by the local Sahrawi population as a mystical place of great cultural significance.

Many of the UN “graffiti artists” signed and dated their work, revealing their identities and where they are from. Minurso personnel stationed in Western Sahara come from almost 30 countries. They are monitoring a ceasefire between the occupying Moroccan forces and the Polisario Front, which is seeking independence.

One Croatian peacekeeper scrawled “Petar CroArmy” across a rock face. Extensive traces of pigment from rock painting are visible underneath. Another left behind Cyrillic graffiti, and “Evgeny” from Russia scribbled AUI, the code for the Minurso base at Aguanit. “Mahmoud” from Egypt left his mark at Rekeiz Lemgasem, and “Ibrahim” wrote his name and number over a prehistoric painting of a giraffe. “Issa”, a Kenyan major who signed his name and wrote the date, had just completed a UN course, Ethics in Peacekeeping, documents show.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/visual_arts/article3280058.ece

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: UN vandals spray graffiti on Sahara’s prehistoric art
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 01:53:41 PM »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 02:39:50 PM »
So?  6000 years ago someone vandalized some rocks.   It was no big deal then.  Why is it a big deal now?  Just wait another 6000 years and the UN art will be just as revered.

Offline djones520

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 03:53:06 PM »
So?  6000 years ago someone vandalized some rocks.   It was no big deal then.  Why is it a big deal now?  Just wait another 6000 years and the UN art will be just as revered.

6000 Years ago, someone wrote a story of their life on those rocks.  6000 years ago, someone left clues of where we has humans came from for the rest of us to study and learn from.  Today, some dipshit pissed all over that and destroyed a priceless peice of art and history for no reason at all.

I think your total ambivilance towards this travesty has caused me to lose more respect for you then anything you've ever posted before.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 04:04:28 PM »
"Thog was herz"
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 05:51:35 PM »

6000 Years ago, someone wrote a story of their life on those rocks.  6000 years ago, someone left clues of where we has humans came from for the rest of us to study and learn from.  Today, some dipshit pissed all over that and destroyed a priceless peice of art and history for no reason at all.

I think your total ambivilance towards this travesty has caused me to lose more respect for you then anything you've ever posted before.

Stick around...there will be plenty more....

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 07:21:26 PM »

I regret you took it seriously.  I will try not to be flip.  :tongue:

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 07:22:07 PM »

Get bent.

Offline djones520

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 07:35:44 PM »

I regret you took it seriously.  I will try not to be flip.  :tongue:

If you were joking, then ok.  No harm done. :-)
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 08:06:31 PM »

Get bent.

What? no whack job comment this time?

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 08:10:16 PM »

Get bent.

What? no whack job comment this time?

I'm sorry.  I'm tired.  Maybe tomorrow.   :-*

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 06:02:55 AM »

No need to get yer undies in a wad.   :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.