Author Topic: Omaha Steve wonders where primitives of the 1970s are today  (Read 1152 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Omaha Steve wonders where primitives of the 1970s are today
« on: February 04, 2008, 04:40:35 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2810043

Oh my.

Omaha Steve, one of the few non-primitives on Skins's island, inquires of the unterprimitiven:

Omaha Steve  (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-02-08 11:19 PM
Original message

Where were the war protests of the 70's, and where are they today?

I remember being just a bit too young to be at the big protests against the war in the early 70's. The BIG one's were held across the street from Omaha University. It was the state's largest park dedicated to America's war dead. I do remember losing a close friend to the jungles of Nam. I've seen his name on the traveling "Wall That Heals". IF the war in Iraq continues unabated, I'm sure I will loose somebody very close. Everything old is new again. Is it too late to raise up and stop this madness?

MookieWilson (1000+ posts)      Sat Feb-02-08 11:22 PM
Response to Original message

1. Getting rid of the draft took some of the wind out of them.

msongs  (1000+ posts)      Sat Feb-02-08 11:22 PM

2. today's college crowd does not sacrifice anything of consequence in iraq war terms except for those who volunteer to be in the war. if there was a draft, the protests would appear like magic because those being told to be cannon fodder for the pro-war-funding politicians like McCain, obama, and clinton, would rebel.

sfexpat2000  (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-02-08 11:24 PM

3. Can't find an image of the beach protest of Nixon's second inaugural.

But I sure remember it. It was my first one.

We're still out there.

thunder rising  (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-02-08 11:27 PM

4. Getting real .. on the political stage. 

Grace Slick pointed out that after Woodstock she had an epiphany: RCA (their record label) was excited and enthusiastic about promoting their albums while at the same time manufacturing bomb fuses. She realized that "the establishment" is so powerful they can profit from each side of a conflict.

And then as usual the primitives make numbers up in their heads:

patrice  (1000+ posts)       Sat Feb-02-08 11:27 PM

5. 300,000 Strong in DC September/October of '02 and again in January of '03

We had the WH quadrangle completely surrounded, all streets filled curb to curb, and more people were coming. I talked to Gordon Parks and old women were there in wheelchairs.

In NYC winter 2004(?) we filled the streets to the UN, lots of SEIU, Women's Groups, Old Peace Activists, Neo-Hippies, Churches, Artists, and Universities.

The Media blacks us out.

MookieWilson (1000+ posts)      Sun Feb-03-08 10:58 AM
Response to Reply #5

22. I think one was about 500K. I went to most of them.

It's a medium-sized bonfire on Skins's island, but the above's a good sampling.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Omaha Steve wonders where primitives of the 1970s are today
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 08:12:46 AM »
Without the draft, the point is moot.  When your goal is to protest other peoples' choices it is no longer a noble cause.  The protesters become the oppressors.   That fact has been the biggest glitch in the current phony baloney "antiwar movement".

Grace Slick, in her 1970 song "Mexico", told the world Richard Nixon had come to "call himself king".   See? the more things change, the more they stay the same.    Ms. Slick was born into the upper-upper-middle class and raised in Palo Alto, California by her investment banker father and society matron mom.  Of course, she had a better prospective on life than the rest of us. 

Today, at age 68, Grace lives in Malibu, California, and I doubt she is wondering where her next vegan meal is coming from.  She can thank RCA for that.  It seems to me Grace Slick made (continued) a nice life for herself by profitting from both sides of the culture wall too.