Author Topic: Economic rescue could cost $8.5 trillion  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Economic rescue could cost $8.5 trillion
« on: December 01, 2008, 09:30:44 PM »
Economic rescue could cost $8.5 trillion
Heavy spending to battle the financial crisis is unlikely to abate soon. Analysts say next year's deficit could top $1 trillion.
Just last week, new initiatives added $600 billion to lower mortgage rates, $200 billion to stimulate consumer loans and nearly $300 billion to steady Citigroup, the banking conglomerate. That pushed the potential long-term cost of the government's varied economic rescue initiatives, including direct loans and loan guarantees, to an estimated total of $8.5 trillion -- half of the entire economic output of the U.S. this year.

Nor has the cash register stopped ringing. President-elect Barack Obama and congressional Democrats are expected to enact a stimulus package of $500 billion to $700 billion soon after he takes office in January.

The spending already has had a dramatic effect on the federal budget deficit, which soared to a record $455 billion last year and began the 2009 fiscal year with an amazing $237-billion deficit for October alone. Analysts say next year's budget deficit could easily bust the $1-trillion barrier.

"I didn't think we'd see that for a long time," said Maya MacGuineas, president of the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget. "There's a huge risk of another economic crisis, a debt crisis, once we get on the other side of this one."

LINK

$750 billion was just the start.  When does this shit end?
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
Re: Economic rescue could cost $8.5 trillion
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 09:34:27 PM »
at 110% effective tax rates... on those top wage earners, the burger flippers at McDonald's.  Every other business will have taken their capital and moved overseas, taking the jobs with them.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Economic rescue could cost $8.5 trillion
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 09:35:40 PM »
I always hated listening to George Bush give a speech.  I knew every time he opened his mouth, it was going to cost a shitload of money.

Obama will be worse.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.