Author Topic: Nightmare in Green Bay: Favre asks for his unconditional release from Green Bay  (Read 17749 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
I said he was gone, but maybe the people I have talked to are full of crap. :-)

peter king is one of the three or four sports writers that favre called to discuss his decision to
retire before it was formally announced, so king obviously has credibility on this issue.

it would be a mess if he did come back, a bigger mess if the packers didn't want him back, and
the biggest mess imaginable if he wound up with a team in the nfc central, er, ah, nfc north.

Nightmare in Green Bay: The saga of Brett Favre is far from over

We are early in what I can guarantee will be a very tumultuous month in the recurring Brett Favre will-he-or-won't-he saga, and what I can tell you for sure is this: No. 4 wants to play football again, and the Green Bay Packers desperately do not want him to.

Will he play? I don't know. I don't think he knows. He has, however, told coach Mike McCarthy he wants to return.

The issue is going to be pressed soon. I fully expect Favre's agent to send a letter to the Packers within the next 10 days, stating that Favre, 38, wants to be taken off the National Football League's reserve/retired list. At that point, the team will have no choice but to re-admit the league's most accomplished statistical quarterback ever back to football, and general manager Ted Thompson and McCarthy will have a decision to make that you can be sure is keeping them up nights. They can take Favre and his $12.8-million cap number back onto the team and give him his starting job back, they can trade him or they can release him.

Every one of those options makes the Packers wretch. I've been told an edgy McCarthy told Favre, in their most recent phone conversation a couple of weeks ago, the legendary quarterback would put the Packers in a tough spot by reneging on his March 6 retirement. Favre understands. But I don't think it's going to stop him from doing what his body tells him to do -- play football again.

In the past few years, Favre has begun to prepare for training camp by throwing to high-school receivers at Oak Grove High School in Hattiesburg, Miss., and when he's done that in the past month, his arm has felt pain-free and strong. That, plus the fact he hasn't found anything else to do in retirement other than the chores on his 465 acres in Hattiesburg, is making him think he wants to play football again.

And one other thing: I believe as Favre looks back on his decision to retire, he thinks part of the reason he made it was he felt it would have been easier to retire and return if he changed his mind than to blindly say he was going to keep playing -- only to find out in mid-August his heart was not in it. When he made the decision a month after the Super Bowl, he announced it with certainty. But the further he's gotten from the season, the more he realizes he still wants to play. The 2007 season was one of his three or four best as a pro. This wouldn't be a broken-down Johnny Unitas slinking back for an 18th year in San Diego. This would be Favre, in his 18th season, coming off a year when he set personal records for completion percentage (.665) and yards-per-pass-attempt (7.8).

McCarthy has also told Favre he worries about him tarnishing his legacy. The one thing I don't believe Favre understands yet is the tumult which will greet his return to the Packers, or to another NFL team. There are Packer fans who have moved on, and wish he would do the same. He doesn't realize fully -- yet -- that Brett Favre returning to the Packers would bug a slew of Packerphiles who wish he'd make a decision and stick with it and ride off into the sunset with his glory intact. Because he insulates himself from much of the football world in Mississippi, I'm sure he doesn't realize the impact that playing for another team would have on his bleed-Packer-green fandom. Playing for any old NFL team would be crime enough to many of his faithful, but playing for a rival like Minnesota or Chicago would be like Johnny Damon spurning the Red Sox for the Yankees. Times five.

Much More
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 05:29:46 PM by Wretched Excess »

Offline ReardenSteel

Rodgers, meanwhile, has stirred up controversy himself this week. In a Sports Illustrated article, the quarterback said he didn't need to prove anything to the fans.

"I don't feel I need to sell myself to the fans," he said in the article. "They need to get on board now or keep their mouths shut."
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8306706/Favre-downplays-comeback-talk-as-rumors-swirl

:fuelfire: :fuelfire: :-)

Man, I dunno. I've been listning to the sports shows on the radio and seen bunches of articles on this topic. I like GB well enough and have always loved watching Brett play. I'm as informed as the next guy. I know Favre can still play. I care about the game of football itself and believe GB has some of the best fans in all the wide world of sports. I just don't know what to think about all this or even what to feel. LOL

All that said... if Farve wants to play then just bring him back and play. One more year, two, whatever. Heck, trade Rodgers to Chicago or any other QB desperate team (except the Vikes). Brian Brohm's the real deal IMO and can hold a clipboard as well as anyone. (and has as much potential as Rodgers anyway)

"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Wretched Excess

Rodgers, meanwhile, has stirred up controversy himself this week. In a Sports Illustrated article, the quarterback said he didn't need to prove anything to the fans.

"I don't feel I need to sell myself to the fans," he said in the article. "They need to get on board now or keep their mouths shut."
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8306706/Favre-downplays-comeback-talk-as-rumors-swirl

:fuelfire: :fuelfire: :-)

Man, I dunno. I've been listning to the sports shows on the radio and seen bunches of articles on this topic. I like GB well enough and have always loved watching Brett play. I'm as informed as the next guy. I know Favre can still play. I care about the game of football itself and believe GB has some of the best fans in all the wide world of sports. I just don't know what to think about all this or even what to feel. LOL

All that said... if Farve wants to play then just bring him back and play. One more year, two, whatever. Heck, trade Rodgers to Chicago or any other QB desperate team (except the Vikes). Brian Brohm's the real deal IMO and can hold a clipboard as well as anyone. (and has as much potential as Rodgers anyway)

I thought he was done three years ago.  he came back from a 4-12 season to go 8-8, and then 13-3.

I always thought he came back just to silence his critics by turning in a stellar season, and thus quiet all
of the critics that said he couldn't play anymore.

I don't know what to think of this myself.  he's obviously ambivalent in the extreme about leaving the game,
as witnessed by the annual "maybe I will, maybe I won't" freaking charade.

I will take another year of brett favre any way that I can get it.  the packers would be making a mistake to resist
his attempt to come back - if that is what is really going on here.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
I will take another year of brett favre any way that I can get it.  the packers would be making a mistake to resist

I agree completely.  I would love to see Favre's wizardry for a season again.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Wretched Excess

I agree completely.  I would love to see Favre's wizardry for a season again.

he won three games that I can think of just off the top of my head, on late > 60yd TD passes.

the 80+ yarder against denver in OT was just the icing on the cake.

i would take him back in a skinny minute.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
The Packers' GM is saying that Favre will be taken off the reserve/retired list within the next 10 days.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline ReardenSteel

The Packers' GM is saying that Favre will be taken off the reserve/retired list within the next 10 days.

Nice. But where did you hear that? I could only find where Brett's agent had said that (googled "Brett Farve news" which was 2 hrs old as of this post) ...

All quiet on Favre front — except the rumors
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/NFC/NFC+North/Green+Bay/Features/2008/arkush070808.htm

I hope he can play in GB with as little disruption as possible. Also hope they win a lot. It's a shame, for the Packers, that the NFC championship will be in Seattle next year.  :p

"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion

Nice. But where did you hear that? I could only find where Brett's agent had said that (googled "Brett Farve news" which was 2 hrs old as of this post) ...

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/NFC/NFC+North/Green+Bay/Features/2008/arkush070808.htm

I hope he can play in GB with as little disruption as possible. Also hope they win a lot. It's a shame, for the Packers, that the NFC championship will be in Seattle next year.  :p

It was on ESPN News a couple of hours ago. Michael Kim is the one who said it.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline ReardenSteel

It was on ESPN News a couple of hours ago. Michael Kim is the one who said it.

Cool. H5 for the heads up. I really don't know exactly what that means though I hope it means Favre will be in GB. (just can't see him in another uni)(minus Falcons, the early years, lol)

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

my guess is, if Faverer comes back, it won't be for the PACKERS...

the pack can get alot of money for brett (still has something left on contract I think) ....

and favre has proven , basically since the last superbowl he was in, that he was a one hit wonder in BIG games...

so I'd say he's definitly expendable for the packers & it would be the packs best move...

Offline Wretched Excess

the pack can get alot of money for brett (still has something left on contract I think) ....

and favre has proven , basically since the last superbowl he was in, that he was a one hit wonder in BIG games...

so I'd say he's definitly expendable for the packers & it would be the packs best move...

stick to the bares, dood, where you may know something.  it turns out YOU are the "one hit wonder". :whatever: :-)

Offline john c calhoun

stick to the bares, dood, where you may know something.  it turns out YOU are the "one hit wonder". :whatever: :-)

you need to watch the  re- runs of  Favre vs. Elway back in 98' was it ??

NFL network had them on alot lately...

favre SUCKED in that SB & I haven't seen him play great in important games in a looooooooong time...

how did favre perform in the 2 biggest games of last season ? (cowboys game for 1st place & NFC championship against the giants ??) ...

favre needs to get out of the packs way ....he's holding them back if a superbowl & a future  is what they are looking for...

QB controversy is the DEATH of any team (thats where my Bares background comes into play eh?? :lmao:)

Offline Wretched Excess

favre SUCKED in that SB & I haven't seen him play great in important games in a looooooooong time...

how did favre perform in the 2 biggest games of last season ? (cowboys game for 1st place & NFC championship against the giants ??) ...

favre needs to get out the packs way ....he's holding them back if a superbowl & a future  is what they are looking for...

I don't have to watch it on the re-runs, I remember the game vividly.   and I have watched every GB game since
satellite TV was available commercially without having to nail a swimming pool sized satellite dish to the roof of your
house.

GB lost the game because terrell davis shredded the GB defense for something like 160 yeards and 3 TDs.

favre threw for a perfectly respectable 260 yards or so, with a TD and a pick.  elway threw for a buck-25
(or so) and a pick, so don't act like QB play was the deciding factor in that game.

oh, and mike holmgren forgetting what down it was on the goal line and laying down for a touchdown late
in the game didn't help.

don't mess with me on packers shit, JCC.  I'll hurt you. :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

JCC just can't stand it because the bares have started about 80 worthless QBs during the favre era.   :whatever:

if he was honest, he would admit that he would suck an orange through a garden hose if he could have favre
NEXT year. 

Offline Wretched Excess

if you believe the buzz, it's looking more and more likely.  favre's brother, who has predicted that he would retire every year in the passt five years except this one  :whatever:, says it's 50-50.  more buzz here and here.

Offline john c calhoun

JCC just can't stand it because the bares have started about 80 worthless QBs during the favre era.   :whatever:

if he was honest, he would admit that he would suck an orange through a garden hose if he could have favre
NEXT year. 

yeah, I'd take Favre if the price was right...

sure...

but no way I could do what you do after a few six packs every weekend  :rotf:...

but, my point wasn't to badmouth favre....he's GREAT & i enjoy watching him...

my point is to say he is no longer the answer for GB ....

the money GB could get for favre & the release of the ball & chain would be the best option for GB...

Offline john c calhoun

favre needs to get out the packs way ....he's holding them back if a superbowl & a future  is what they are looking for...

I don't have to watch it on the re-runs, I remember the game vividly.   and I have watched every GB game since
satellite TV was available commercially without having to nail a swimming pool sized satellite dish to the roof of your
house.

GB lost the game because terrell davis shredded the GB defense for something like 160 yeards and 3 TDs.

favre threw for a perfectly respectable 260 yards or so, with a TD and a pick.  elway threw for a buck-25
(or so) and a pick, so don't act like QB play was the deciding factor in that game.

oh, and mike holmgren forgetting what down it was on the goal line and laying down for a touchdown late
in the game didn't help.

yeah, Favre hit fergusson out on the flat all day long...

but, he MISSED a WIDE OPEN FREEMAN in the 4th quarter . blew an easy 7 points & gave the broncos the ball back at midfield where they summarily capped the game off...

favre got HIS yards, but, he never really 'controlled' the game, therefore not giving TD a chance to run up those huge holes his great Oline cleared for him...

hey, how many yards did favre throw for against the cowboys & giants last season  :tongue:

Offline Wretched Excess

house.

in the game didn't help.

yeah, Favre hit fergusson out on the flat all day long...

but, he MISSED a WIDE OPEN FREEMAN in the 4th quarter . blew an easy 7 points & gave the broncos the ball back at midfield where they summarily capped the game off...

favre got HIS yards, but, he never really 'controlled' the game, therefore not giving TD a chance to run up those huge holes his great Oline cleared for him...

hey, how many yards did favre throw for against the cowboys & giants last season  :tongue:

I'm sorry, I was wrong.  all three of GBs TDs were favre passes in SB XXII.  do you realize how retarded it sounds to claim that
260 yards through the air is somehow "greedy" and ineffectual?  GB and Den had the same number of first downs, dood.  Den
ruled ToP because terrell davis was a monster in that game.  and he hit freeman all day long in that SB.  missing him once when,
if memory serves, there was pressure in the pocket and confusion on the route is hardly the washed up has been that can't win
a big game that you are attempting to make him out to be.

and how it is favre's fault that davis had a great game is a complete mystery to me.  when you avg over 5 yards a rush,
you are going to get your touches, irrespective of what happens on the other side of the ball.

and do you mean the first game against the giants, were green bay romped, or the second, when it was 3 degrees
below zero?  it sorta matters.  and he got knocked out the cowboys game.

this is just a ridiculous argument. :whatever:  denver just outplayed GB on both sides of the ball.  I suggest that you blame
SB XXXII on the neocons.  it would make a little more sense. :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

jeeez.  I never thought this would happen . . . .

Favre asks for unconditional release from Packers, sources say

Offline ReardenSteel

Damn.
 :o :o :o
Say it ain't so...

And now begins the speculation. Where will Favre go? And who could use him?

- Close to his Mississippi home? (Houston, TB, Miami or back to Atlanta)

- Division rival? (Lions and Vikings and Bears, oh my!)

- QB needy wildcard? (49ers, Jets, Chiefs or Bills)

Oy. Farve in another color jersey will be a sad sight IMHO. But I'll watch him.

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

Damn.
 :o :o :o
Say it ain't so...

And now begins the speculation. Where will Favre go? And who could use him?

- Close to his Mississippi home? (Houston, TB, Miami or back to Atlanta)

- Division rival? (Lions and Vikings and Bears, oh my!)

- QB needy wildcard? (49ers, Jets, Chiefs or Bills)

Oy. Farve in another color jersey will be a sad sight IMHO. But I'll watch him.

I would say somewhere FAR, FAR AWAY from the division....

miami?

atlanta??

tampa?

somewhere he can play another season & 1/2  ??

san fran ??

oakland ??

texans ??

KC ?

to trade him to a division rival would be a SIN that packer fans would never forget ....

favre's legacy would also be tarnished if he ended up playing for da bears , vikes or lions (all 3 need QB's more than just about anyone in the league too)

Offline ReardenSteel

favre's legacy would also be tarnished if he ended up playing for da bears , vikes or lions (all 3 need QB's more than just about anyone in the league too)

I agree on both counts. (Brett's legacy and on QB needs)

However, I think that only on the Vikings would Favre be deadly to the Pack and a true Super Bowl threat. While all three GB rivals badly need QB help, the Vikes are the only team that only needs QB help.

Well the Vikes and maybe the Packers, LOL. There is still a good chance (30-40%?) that Rodgers will come out and totaly suck. GB grabbed Brian Brohm for a reason.

- Ayn Rand

Offline Wretched Excess

it is being confirmed by local sources in GB as well.

jeez.  I just can't express how much I hate this.  #4 wants to come back, but the
pack doesn't want him.  that just staggers the imagination.  I can't imagine him playing
in another uniform.

I understand the team's positon;  the annual drama for the past three or four years
had to be getting old.  it's a high risk decision either way for the packers.

Offline Wretched Excess

However, I think that only on the Vikings would Favre be deadly to the Pack and a true Super Bowl threat. While all three GB rivals badly need QB help, the Vikes are the only team that only needs QB help.

Well the Vikes and maybe the Packers, LOL. There is still a good chance (30-40%?) that Rodgers will come out and totaly suck. GB grabbed Brian Brohm for a reason.

it has to be a similar system.  the WCO isn't always the same WCO offense anymore;  the variations are pretty
extreme.

I would hate to be the packers if he stays in the division.  a pissed off brett favre isn't something you want on
the other sideline.

Offline ReardenSteel

it has to be a similar system.  the WCO isn't always the same WCO offense anymore;  the variations are pretty
extreme.

I would hate to be the packers if he stays in the division.  a pissed off brett favre isn't something you want on
the other sideline.

That's true about the WCO but the Vikes don't need their QB to be superman. With that O-line and AP in the backfield, all the QB has to do is keep the D honest. Givin all day to throw, Brett can do that and more in any WCO.

Holmgren's version of the WCO is as complex as any but a Holmy/Favre reunion would almost be tolerable if it was each guys last year. However, I don't think Favre could beat out Hasselbeck for the job. That and I hate hate hate the idea of Favre anywhere but GB, let alone with "my" Seaahawks. Also, fwiw, Franco Harris, Warren Moon and Jerry Rice all ended great careers with crappy season(s) in Seattle so why not Brett too? (sigh)  :(

Sidenote:
I hate the term "WCO". Unless one means "Walsh Copied Out-the-a$$". Just wanted that on the record.  :-)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 05:58:35 PM by ReardenSteel »

- Ayn Rand