Author Topic: What Would the End of Football Look Like?  (Read 2817 times)

Offline zeitgeist

What Would the End of Football Look Like?
« on: May 04, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »
And so it begins:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7559458/cte-concussion-crisis-economic-look-end-football

What Would the End of Football Look Like?

An economic perspective on CTE and the concussion crisis
By Tyler Cowen and Kevin Grier on February 9, 2012PRINT

The NFL is done for the year, but it is not pure fantasy to suggest that it may be done for good in the not-too-distant future. How might such a doomsday scenario play out and what would be the economic and social consequences?

By now we're all familiar with the growing phenomenon of head injuries and cognitive problems among football players, even at the high school level. In 2009, Malcolm Gladwell asked whether football might someday come to an end, a concern seconded recently by Jonah Lehrer.

[Snip}

And how about Hockey?  Boxing? Soccer? Baseball?  Roller Derby??    :runaway:  

I really don't know much about cognitive problems from concussions.  I do know I have had a couple from playing contact sports, never from golf, tennis or fencing.  

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline zeitgeist

Re: What Would the End of Football Look Like?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 02:20:08 PM »
And a story on player lawsuits:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/over-100-more-former-nfl-180210738--nfl.html

Reuters) - More than 100 former NFL players on Thursday sued the league claiming ongoing debilitating effects from head injuries, joining a group of some 1,500 retired players who have brought legal action on the same grounds, a plaintiff's attorney said.

The latest lawsuit on behalf of over 100 plaintiffs was filed in federal court in Atlanta, said lawyer Kirk Pope. It seeks an unspecified amount of damages for lost wages, pain and suffering, and medical treatment.

Among the top athletes in the latest suit are Chris Doleman, Jamal Anderson and Jessie Tuggle, Pope said.

And the only ones who will make out on this will be???  (~ the lawyers ~ ) :fuelfire:

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 05:32:29 PM »
Rush was talking about this today.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 05:56:18 PM »
Rush was talking about this today.

Rush has actually been talking about the concussion issue long before this. I tend to suspect he is right that liberal do-good-ers will be the death of football and most other 'brutal contact sports'.  Powder puff football?  Could happen, pop a beer and watch the cheerleaders rough each other up. :whistling:

Of course Rush is not allowed to buy in to the OBN of the NFL since he isn't liberal enough. :hammer:  Scary isn't it.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
Without football on the Fall weekends, we rednecks will take up human hunting. You liberals better think about that shit. :stirpot:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 07:00:08 PM »
Rush has actually been talking about the concussion issue long before this. I tend to suspect he is right that liberal do-good-ers will be the death of football and most other 'brutal contact sports'.  Powder puff football?  Could happen, pop a beer and watch the cheerleaders rough each other up. :whistling:

Of course Rush is not allowed to buy in to the OBN of the NFL since he isn't liberal enough. :hammer:  Scary isn't it.

Don't they still have the lingerie bowl?  Just expand it to a full season.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 07:02:31 PM »
I think the leengeree league is defunct.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 07:05:04 PM »
Fox can always bring back XFL.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 07:08:13 PM »
I think the leengeree league is defunct.

Maybe not.  http://www.lflus.com/schedule/  But maybe so, they don't list anything for later this year.

ETA:  They have a Facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/mylfl?ref=ts
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:10:18 PM by thundley4 »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 07:08:37 PM »
Don't they still have the lingerie bowl?  Just expand it to a full season.
YES! :yahoo:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 10:42:04 PM »
Well...I wouldn't miss it.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 10:45:03 PM »
Rollerball. Or...Death Race !
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 11:26:32 PM »
Without football on the Fall weekends, we rednecks will take up human hunting. You liberals better think about that shit. :stirpot:

Then again, Ray Lewis said crime would increase if the NFL lockout had continued.  Somehow a guy who basically beat a murder rap on a technicality really shouldn't be speaking of such things, even if he is an expert on them.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 06:02:59 AM »

Oh, please, God no. I can't watch anymore "He Hate Me's" act more like idiots.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 10:13:13 AM »
Oh, please, God no. I can't watch anymore "He Hate Me's" act more like idiots.
I thought the XFL got all their nicknames from a horserace.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 04:36:01 PM »

That was a creation of NBC, when NBC lost the AFC to CBS, and CBS had lost the NFC to Fox.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.