Author Topic: opening day at Dodger Stadium!!  (Read 8248 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
opening day at Dodger Stadium!!
« on: March 31, 2008, 04:26:12 PM »

I have vin scully on my TV, and the dodgers are playing the hated giants.  life is good.

(God knows I wouldn't have been able to stand it if favre and scully had retired in the same
year)

Offline Wretched Excess

Re: opening day at Dodger Stadium!!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 05:03:58 PM »

fred lewis is hitting for the giants right now.  he is from wiggins, kev. :-)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 05:08:11 PM »
For me Vin Scully IS baseball. When I hear his voice I am immediately transported back to summertime of my youth.

And he is the classiest guy in all of broadcasting.  Los Angeles is very fortunate to have him as were we fortunate to have Chic Hearn (and Jim Murphy at the LAT).

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 05:10:46 PM »
For me Vin Scully IS baseball. When I hear his voice I am immediately transported back to summertime of my youth.

And he is the classiest guy in all of broadcasting.  Los Angeles is very fortunate to have him as were we fortunate to have Chic Hearn (and Jim Murphy at the LAT).

but for every vin scully, we have a tj simers. :banghead:

:-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 05:15:04 PM »

I *love* Simers.  You just have to get his sense of humor.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 05:21:17 PM »

I *love* Simers.  You just have to get his sense of humor.

he is a total curmudgeon.  but, yeah, I "get him". :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 05:38:39 PM »

the giants have pulled their starter, and put in a japanese pitcher name yabu.

the dodgers pulled penny, and put in proctor in the last inning.

so, we are into the bullpens now.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 05:48:43 PM »

probably one of the first "torre dividends" that we will see is when he sat juan's pierre in favor
of andre ethier.  not many managers would have gone with the kid instead of the "established
veteran".  grady little certainly wouldn't have.

it takes a manager of a certain stature to be able to do that.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 05:51:45 PM »

an announced crowd of nearly 57K, if I understood vin correctly.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 06:04:45 PM »

I am almost afraid to say it, but at the end of 8, the dodgers lead 5-0.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 06:10:19 PM »

I have no idea why we are putting in our hobbled closer for the 9th.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 06:13:07 PM »

DODGERS WIN!! DODGERS WIN!!

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 06:14:18 PM »
The Dodgers look like a major contender this year in a loaded NL West. The Rangers are up 1 on the M's in top of the 1st.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 06:20:58 PM »
The Dodgers look like a major contender this year in a loaded NL West. The Rangers are up 1 on the M's in top of the 1st.

as long as "noodle arm" (ralphie will like that one :-)) is not in the outfield, I think we have at least a chance.

but keep in mind that the dodgers are essentially the same team that finished 4th last year . . . .

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 06:26:07 PM »

as long as "noodle arm" (ralphie will like that one :-)) is not in the outfield, I think we have at least a chance.

but keep in mind that the dodgers are essentially the same team that finished 4th last year . . . .

Yeah, but they had the injury bug running rampant through the clubhouse with players like Nomar and Schmidt last year. They'll be back by late April and will be ready to roll.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 06:29:08 PM »

Yeah, but they had the injury bug running rampant through the clubhouse with players like Nomar and Schmidt last year. They'll be back by late April and will be ready to roll.

I certainly hope so.  but don't discount the d'backs (yes, jendf, I just said that) or the padres.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 06:44:55 PM »
How many years since 1988 have we said that?  All of them! Get back to me at the break and let's see how badly the Boston Parking Lot Attendant screws things up.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 06:54:33 PM »
How many years since 1988 have we said that?  All of them! Get back to me at the break and let's see how badly the Boston Parking Lot Attendant screws things up.

they looked pretty good a few years ago when they won their division.  and they didn't look totally shitty year before last, when they won the WC.

but your point is well taken.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 07:00:20 PM »

they looked pretty good a few years ago when they won their division.  and they didn't look totally shitty year before last, when they won the WC.

What team are you talking about?  I think you mean the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Los Angeles, not the Dodgers.  They haven't won anything since 1988.  They have 1 game won in the post season in like the last 12 or 13 years.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 07:43:57 PM »

What team are you talking about?  I think you mean the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Los Angeles, not the Dodgers.  They haven't won anything since 1988.  They have 1 game won in the post season in like the last 12 or 13 years.

the dodgers won their division 3 years ago, and won the WC year before last.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 07:45:46 PM »
to answer your question, ralphie (even before you have asked it)

ethier went 0-4, but he ran the count every AB. :-)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 07:48:26 PM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2008, 07:47:42 PM »

oh, and not every flare to left went for a double.  the boy actually has an arm.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2008, 08:50:56 PM »

The Dodgers have won one post-season game since 1988.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2008, 09:05:47 PM »

yes, yes.

kirk gibson.  I am so tired of hearing that. :whatever:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2008, 09:10:11 PM »

yes, yes.

kirk gibson.  I am so tired of hearing that. :whatever:

I am talking about AFTER 1988.  Nothing.