Author Topic: 2008 Baseball season  (Read 39259 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Re: 2008 Baseball season
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2008, 11:11:09 AM »
GO D'BACKS!
Randy Johnson will make a start against the Rockies on monday. It looks as though he is right on schedule rehab wise. Good luck Randy....

GO D'BACKS!

That rotation, with Haren and Webb at the top, is scary.

Oh--the Mets send Johan to the hill today against the Sox.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2008, 07:21:19 AM »
Looks like your World.  Champion.  Red.  Sox.  are already hurting, and Spring Training ain't even over yet...

Poor formerlurker.  It's gonna be a LONG season in Red Sux Nation.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2008, 12:12:23 PM »
Looks like your World.  Champion.  Red.  Sox.  are already hurting, and Spring Training ain't even over yet...

Poor formerlurker.  It's gonna be a LONG season in Red Sux Nation.

Yeah, they may be hurting, but it's now that they're hurting.  The season doesn't start for two-and-a-half weeks yet, and there's some time to heal.  Today I saw that Brad Lidge of the Phillthies is looking to be ready near Opening Day.  He had his injury in ST, rather than the third week of the season (when he's gonna get shelled by the Mets), so he's got some time to get well.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2008, 06:56:02 AM »
At least the Sox don't have to face the dirty-playing, take-em-out-at-the-knees Yankees.

Me, I would have given Billy Crystal some chin music yesterday...

But here's some good news for my Angels...

http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20080312&content_id=2423155&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2008, 04:13:58 PM »
At least the Sox don't have to face the dirty-playing, take-em-out-at-the-knees Yankees.

Me, I would have given Billy Crystal some chin music yesterday...

But here's some good news for my Angels...

http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20080312&content_id=2423155&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

Well, Duncan and Melky Cabrera are going to have to sit to start the season . . .

SUSPENSIONS
DUNCAN, CABRERA HIT FOR BRAWL

By MARK HALE

March 14, 2008 -- YankeesNew York Yankees  first baseman Shelley DuncanShelley Duncan  likely will be suspended for three regular-season games for his role in the benches-clearing incident with the Rays on Wednesday, The Post has learned.

Duncan's spikes-first slide into second baseman Aki Iwamura started the fracas, which came in the aftermath of a home-plate collision between the teams on Saturday. Duncan also will be fined.

Melky CabreraMelky Cabrera  also is facing a suspension for throwing a punch in the incident, which came in the second inning of Wednesday's game.

Rays outfielder Jonny Gomes, who raced in to get at Duncan after the slide, likely will receive a two-game suspension and fine.

Ther rest is at:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03142008/sports/suspensions_101983.htm

Chase her.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2008, 07:09:57 AM »
Opening Day and I'm so excited I could bust a nut!   :hyper:

Okay, maybe not that excited.   :innocent:

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2008, 10:01:46 AM »
Opening Day and I'm so excited I could bust a nut!   :hyper:

Okay, maybe not that excited.   :innocent:

Glad you clarified that, Red . . .  :p

Chase her.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2008, 11:51:29 AM »
I can't help but think we Braves fans are just going to be let down again, even with Tom Glavine back with us.  :bawl:
Every expert on ESPN except one has the Braves picked to win the division.  Franceur added about 20 pounds of muscle, we have a full year of Texiera, Glavine is still a good 3-4 pitcher, Andruw jones can still not hit a curveball in L.A., and McCann should be even better this year.  I'm not saying we'll win the division just yet, but we may just shock a few people.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2008, 05:20:26 PM »
I can't help but think we Braves fans are just going to be let down again, even with Tom Glavine back with us.  :bawl:
Every expert on ESPN except one has the Braves picked to win the division.  Franceur added about 20 pounds of muscle, we have a full year of Texiera, Glavine is still a good 3-4 pitcher, Andruw jones can still not hit a curveball in L.A., and McCann should be even better this year.  I'm not saying we'll win the division just yet, but we may just shock a few people.

You may just shock a few people . . . if Larry plays 130 games, and if Smoltz doesn't miss 4-5 starts on the DL, and if Glavine doesn't continue what he started in September of last year, and if Jair Jurrjens lives up to his promise, and if . . .

I actually think the Braves will get the WC.

Chase her.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2008, 07:24:57 PM »

On behalf of Phillies Phans to all decent baseball fans, I apologize for that pitching performance. 

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2008, 04:31:27 AM »

On behalf of Phillies Phans to all decent baseball fans, I apologize for that pitching performance. 

Ugh.  Apology accepted.  And, if you want to see what real pitching looks like, may I suggest the man wearing #57 for the Mets? :tongue:

What utterly shocked me about the Mets' pitching was not the actual pitching performances themselves--it's the way Willie went about it.  Schoeneweis for just Mike Jacobs, followed by Sosa.  Heilman for the ninth.  Willie seemed to be managing this game as if his very job depended on it.  It does.

Chase her.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2008, 09:00:29 AM »

You may just shock a few people . . . if Larry plays 130 games, and if Smoltz doesn't miss 4-5 starts on the DL, and if Glavine doesn't continue what he started in September of last year, and if Jair Jurrjens lives up to his promise, and if . . .

Didn't Santana miss some time last season?  I honestly am not sure.  Pedro, there's someone who never misses any time.  Besides, the Mets will find a way to lose the division.  they always do.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2008, 09:41:43 AM »
Phils just signed Rudy Seanez.  They may actually be serious about kicking some of the losers to the curb and making a stab at a successful title defense!!!  :o

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/Phillies_Sign_Seanez.html

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2008, 09:43:29 AM »

Ugh.  Apology accepted.  And, if you want to see what real pitching looks like, may I suggest the man wearing #57 for the Mets? :tongue:

What utterly shocked me about the Mets' pitching was not the actual pitching performances themselves--it's the way Willie went about it.  Schoeneweis for just Mike Jacobs, followed by Sosa.  Heilman for the ninth.  Willie seemed to be managing this game as if his very job depended on it.  It does.

Hi-5's for Santana helping me out in a fantasy league.  :cheersmate:

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #89 on: April 01, 2008, 01:17:43 PM »

Didn't Santana miss some time last season?  I honestly am not sure.  Pedro, there's someone who never misses any time.  Besides, the Mets will find a way to lose the division.  they always do.

No, he didn't.  Finished 15-13, and gave up 33 HRs, a few (10, I think) more than he normally does.  Let's remember that the "junior circuit" has the DH, Santana's a flyball pitcher, and the Metrodome was nicknamed the "Homerdome," chiefly because of the tendancy for HRs to be hit there.

Pedro's had his issues.  However, he doesn't take any painkillers after he throws, nor does he even ice his arm--he doesn't need to.

Chase her.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2008, 02:04:31 PM »

No, he didn't.  Finished 15-13, and gave up 33 HRs, a few (10, I think) more than he normally does.  Let's remember that the "junior circuit" has the DH, Santana's a flyball pitcher, and the Metrodome was nicknamed the "Homerdome," chiefly because of the tendancy for HRs to be hit there.

Pedro's had his issues.  However, he doesn't take any painkillers after he throws, nor does he even ice his arm--he doesn't need to.
Maybe it was the other stud pitcher for the Twins I was thinking about. 

Pedro doesn't need to ice his arm?  Is that because he only pitches right before the playoffs?  Which is usually when the Mets starting winding it down.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2008, 04:08:50 PM »

Maybe it was the other stud pitcher for the Twins I was thinking about. 

Pedro doesn't need to ice his arm?  Is that because he only pitches right before the playoffs?  Which is usually when the Mets starting winding it down.

According to Willie, that's what is going on.  The very fact that Pedro was pitching at all last year should tell you something about the man.  And, you say the Mets were winding down about then . . . The Braves had already packed it in at the end of August--for the second year in a row . . .  :tongue:

Chase her.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2008, 05:47:22 AM »
Hey--it wasn't his arm!  The Mets will put Pedro on the 15-day DL.  The pen did good, until the tenth . . . You're going to win 60 no matter what you do, and you're going to lose 60 no matter what you do.

I had the "over" in the number of pitches . . .  :o

Chase her.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2008, 07:45:21 AM »
Hey--it wasn't his arm!  The Mets will put Pedro on the 15-day DL.  The pen did good, until the tenth . . . You're going to win 60 no matter what you do, and you're going to lose 60 no matter what you do.

Did he ice his arm last night? :lmao: :fuelfire:

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2008, 09:33:58 AM »

No, his leg.

Both Hudson and Glavine have needed ice lately . . . in their stiff drinks after watching the Braves bullpen blow their pretty good efforts . . .

Chase her.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2008, 09:37:25 AM »

We'll be alright.  We've had a couple of bad seasons.  But considering the past decade and a half, I'd say we were due.
No, his leg.

Both Hudson and Glavine have needed ice lately . . . in their stiff drinks after watching the Braves bullpen blow their pretty good efforts . . .

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2008, 03:22:59 PM »

We'll be alright.  We've had a couple of bad seasons.  But considering the past decade and a half, I'd say we were due.
No, his leg.

I take it that you concede the point, then? :tongue:

Chase her.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2008, 09:09:23 PM »
Yes ladies and gentlemen, the most high-octane offense in the National League just lost 1-0 at home to the Washington Nationals. 

Apparently, last year's 4-12 start was so much fun they want to relive the drama.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2008, 04:18:29 AM »
Yes ladies and gentlemen, the most high-octane offense in the National League just lost 1-0 at home to the Washington Nationals. 

Apparently, last year's 4-12 start was so much fun they want to relive the drama.

They want to go 3-13 this time!  :tongue:

Chase her.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2008, 08:27:40 AM »

No, his leg.

I take it that you concede the point, then? :tongue:
Braves' bullpen stinks.  That's like saying the sky is blue.  everyone knows that, it's always been that way.

And the Mets' strength, starting rotation, looks like it will end up being the weakness.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 08:33:13 AM by Rebel Yell »