Author Topic: Canseco's "Max" revealed. Says A-Rod adamently against steroids. Uh-Oh.  (Read 2602 times)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/04/18/canseco.max/index.html
MIAMI -- As the Justice Department pursues its perjury investigation of Roger Clemens, Jose Canseco may put his credibility at risk during a scheduled interview with federal agents next week if the author of Vindicated discloses the identity of "Max."

Canseco uses that pseudonym on page 184 of his latest book to describe the personal trainer and alleged steroid pusher whom he claims he introduced to Alex Rodriguez. In a Miami-area restaurant on Tuesday night, trainer Joseph Dion read the passage in front of two SI reporters and instantly identified Max.

"That's gotta be me," Dion said.

Dion said that Canseco is partially accurate in his portrayal of Max. Yes, Dion is a Canadian-born trainer who knew Canseco during his Toronto Blue Jays days. And it's true that Dion moved back to Miami, where he was raised, and was introduced to Rodriguez by Canseco in the late '90s. Dion said he worked with Rodriguez for four years when the current Yankee played for the Seattle Mariners.

But Dion adamantly denies Canseco's written account of Max as a "fan of steroids" who began working with Rodriguez specifically to juice the young phenom's body with illicit performance-enhancing drugs.

"That's really, really funny because I am the one person that hates steroids," Dion said. "I'm against it 100 percent. And, A-Rod, at the time that I trained him -- and this I swear to God -- was 100 percent against steroids. He was one of the hardest working guys, and most natural guy, that I've met in my life. He hated steroids. We talked about it."

With a shaven head and wearing a skin-tight Under Armour shirt, Dion looks lean and toned but not overblown. Nearing age 50, he remains a trainer in South Florida who works in a gym in a strip mall. He maintains a client list that includes housewives, prep athletes and two or three pro players.

The contradictions between Dion's and Canseco's stories are important, not just to the authenticity of Rodriguez's march through baseball history, but to federal investigators who have been trying to unearth steroid users and suppliers since agents raided BALCO in 2003. Whether investigating Barry Bonds or Clemens or Olympic stars and coaches, determining the credibility of witnesses is essential in the government's sweeping steroid investigation of sports.

On Friday, Canseco returned a call from SI regarding Dion's claim but said, "Ask him to call me. I want to talk to him before I comment on it." An associate close to Canseco confirmed that Dion is "Max" in the book.

Dion said that to this point no one -- not Canseco, federal agents, Major League Baseball, the book's publisher, Simon Spotlight, or Rodriguez -- have contacted him since the release of Vindicated.

If investigators ask to interview him, Dion said he would agree.

"I'm clean," he said. "I have no reason for concern."

By his account, Dion is a simple fitness devotee and instructor who runs five miles a day, eats brown rice with his sushi and doesn't push protein powders on his clients, much less steroids. If Dion is telling the truth, why would Canseco fabricate a steroid identity for him?

"I'm hurt in every way because it's not right and it's not true," Dion said. "I don't know if he is [writing Vindicated] for business or for fame or what."

You just couldn't leave well enough alone, could'ya.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline john c calhoun

MIAMI -- As the Justice Department pursues its perjury investigation of Roger Clemens, Jose Canseco may put his credibility at risk during a scheduled interview with federal agents next week if the author of Vindicated discloses the identity of "Max."

Canseco uses that pseudonym on page 184 of his latest book to describe the personal trainer and alleged steroid pusher whom he claims he introduced to Alex Rodriguez. In a Miami-area restaurant on Tuesday night, trainer Joseph Dion read the passage in front of two SI reporters and instantly identified Max.

Dion said that Canseco is partially accurate in his portrayal of Max. Yes, Dion is a Canadian-born trainer who knew Canseco during his Toronto Blue Jays days. And it's true that Dion moved back to Miami, where he was raised, and was introduced to Rodriguez by Canseco in the late '90s. Dion said he worked with Rodriguez for four years when the current Yankee played for the Seattle Mariners.

But Dion adamantly denies Canseco's written account of Max as a "fan of steroids" who began working with Rodriguez specifically to juice the young phenom's body with illicit performance-enhancing drugs.

"That's really, really funny because I am the one person that hates steroids," Dion said. "I'm against it 100 percent. And, A-Rod, at the time that I trained him -- and this I swear to God -- was 100 percent against steroids. He was one of the hardest working guys, and most natural guy, that I've met in my life. He hated steroids. We talked about it."

With a shaven head and wearing a skin-tight Under Armour shirt, Dion looks lean and toned but not overblown. Nearing age 50, he remains a trainer in South Florida who works in a gym in a strip mall. He maintains a client list that includes housewives, prep athletes and two or three pro players.

The contradictions between Dion's and Canseco's stories are important, not just to the authenticity of Rodriguez's march through baseball history, but to federal investigators who have been trying to unearth steroid users and suppliers since agents raided BALCO in 2003. Whether investigating Barry Bonds or Clemens or Olympic stars and coaches, determining the credibility of witnesses is essential in the government's sweeping steroid investigation of sports.

On Friday, Canseco returned a call from SI regarding Dion's claim but said, "Ask him to call me. I want to talk to him before I comment on it." An associate close to Canseco confirmed that Dion is "Max" in the book.

Dion said that to this point no one -- not Canseco, federal agents, Major League Baseball, the book's publisher, Simon Spotlight, or Rodriguez -- have contacted him since the release of Vindicated.

By his account, Dion is a simple fitness devotee and instructor who runs five miles a day, eats brown rice with his sushi and doesn't push protein powders on his clients, much less steroids. If Dion is telling the truth, why would Canseco fabricate a steroid identity for him?

"I'm hurt in every way because it's not right and it's not true," Dion said. "I don't know if he is [writing Vindicated] for business or for fame or what."

Arod had gained 40 lbs of muscle from 1999 to around 2004 or so...

Barry Bonds gained 17lbs of muscle from 1986 to 2003 ....

hmmmmm   ....wonder if Arod did like EVERY PRO ATHLETE DOES in this type of situation ?? ...

well, all I gotta say is they had better run him over the coals like they did bonds, clemens...just to be fair you know (& I'm a red sox fan  :hyper:)

Offline formerlurker

That's really, really funny because I don't believe one damn word of this. 

Offline john c calhoun

it is possible that a natural genetic freak in his early 20's could've put on 40 lbs of muscle over a 6 year span or so.... DRUG FREE...

but,  he would have to be more of a pro body builder, rather than a baseball player....I simply don't thik Arod could put on that muscle weight while also keeping his baseball skills tuned  80% of the year....

that much weight training would make you stiff, sore & immobile if you did it natural ... and there ain't NO WAY a pro baseball player puts on that kind of muscle weight,  maintains it, while holding down a MLB top spot AND does it without lifting weights like crazy & living on a bodybuilders diet/schedule...(which is impossible if he's a pro baseballer at the same time)

and I find it highly unlikely the former trainer of Arod & Canseco would be training old ladies in a strip mall in Florida today, unless he was 'laying low' .... I would think this guys magic would be wanted by everyone right now, since ROIDS are out & natural is in...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 04:22:57 PM by john c calhoun »

Offline formerlurker

it is possible that a natural genetic freak in his early 20's could've put on 40 lbs of muscle over a 6 year span or so.... DRUG FREE...

but,  he would have to be more of a pro body builder, rather than a baseball player....I simply don't thik Arod could put on that muscle weight while also keeping his baseball skills tuned  80% of the year....

that much weight training would make you stiff, sore & immobile if you did it natural ... and there ain't NO WAY a pro baseball player puts on that kind of muscle weight,  maintains it, while holding down a MLB top spot AND does it without lifting weights like crazy & living on a bodybuilders diet/schedule...(which is impossible if he's a pro baseballer at the same time)

and I find it highly unlikely the former trainer of Arod & Canseco would be training old ladies in a strip mall in Florida today, unless he was 'laying low' .... I would think this guys magic would be wanted by everyone right now, since ROIDS are out & natural is in...

I agree.  A-fraud is a juicer.   I really have no doubt about that at all.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.

Arod had gained 40 lbs of muscle from 1999 to around 2004 or so...

Barry Bonds gained 17lbs of muscle from 1986 to 2003 ....

hmmmmm   ....wonder if Arod did like EVERY PRO ATHLETE DOES in this type of situation ?? ...

well, all I gotta say is they had better run him over the coals like they did bonds, clemens...just to be fair you know (& I'm a red sox fan  :hyper:)
But Bonds also gained 40 lbs of head.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad