Author Topic: It's the AL ongoing thread! will it be the angels and the bosox in the ALCS?  (Read 17489 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
my heart really isn't in this one. :-)

but I am sure that at some point, odin will merge the threads into one, singularly
successful thread.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
I like that ALCS matchup.  Put me down for $20.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Before you go into that mode right off the bat, let's remember that there's five other teams in the AL that could make things interesting:  the Rays, the Yankees, the Twins, the White Sox, and the Indians.  Add in the Tigers and it's wide open in the AL Central.  Even the Royals will be better than they were last year, I think.  While part of me is pleased that the Yankees may be the third-best team in the AL East, the Red Sox just might not turn out to be the beast of the East.  That may go to the Rays.

About the only "pretty sure bet" is that the Angels will be the team to beat in the AL West.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline NHSparky

The Yanks are proof that while you can buy talent, they don't always form a TEAM.  CC Sabathia has had his arm overused so badly the last 2-3 years he MUST slow down or he's going to be on the DL ala Pedro.  The Yanks didn't address their middle relief and Rivera ain't no spring chicken (39).  Joba just ain't up to the task if Mariano goes down.  A-Roid is out until July, and that's going to make opposing batters pull (righties) all day long. 

People aren't going to take the Rays as lightly as they did last year.  And that's a good thing, because now we'll see what a lower-budget ballclub is REALLY capable of.  They dumped Cliff Floyd and signed Pat Burrell to DH, BJ Upton will be back by May, and locked up Shields for a couple of years.  They also got a setup guy who can fill in as a closer in case Percy goes down.  Former Angel/Cardinal Adam Kennedy should be an interesting fit in the infield as well.

While the Angels didn't resign Teixeira (more like he bolted for bigger money--he was never serious about playing in LA) it hurt, and they lost a fan favorite in Anderson, but keeping Santana, resigning Juan Rivera, extending Scioscia's contract 10 YEARS, and signing Fuentes to replace K-Rod in addition to picking up Abreu for a song makes it all a wash.  Oh, and the Angels STILL have the best starting rotation in baseball, and Escobar is coming back.

The biggest question in the AL East are the Sox.  Yes, Pedroia is coming off an MVP year.  Yes, they locked up Youk for four years.  Yes, they signed Smoltz and Penny.  Neither is going to make that much of an impact.  The biggest question on offense is Papi.  Without Manny, and without him at 100 percent (remember the knee, kids) he might be cheating on getting the bat around.  According to Massarotti, when Papi changes his stance to get the bat around sooner, he might be able to hit the fastball, but he's going to miss the changeups, curves, and sliders, and miss them badly.  Look for his strikeouts to skyrocket in April and May over this time in previous seasons.  And with no real backup with power in the lineup besides Youk (who didn't even reach 30 HR last year) they're not going to be among the AL leaders in runs scored as they've done recently (3rd in 2007, 2nd in 2008).  'Tek is old, tired, overpaid, and underperforming.  He needed to retire after 2007, but he's still behind the plate, and it'll be interesting to see if he isn't replaced by Kotteras full time or, if the Twins are out of it by July, make the move for Joe Mauer that they need to make lest the Yanks grab him after the season.  Finally, they never really addressed the horrific middle relief. 

In the Central, look for another battle between the White Sox and the Twins.  The Tigers simply won't be that much of a factor.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BlueStateSaint

Another factor here, at least for the AL West--what are the chances of Erik Bedard haing another washout season?  Supposedly, he's a "surly" person, which can't bode well for the clubhouse.  I think that he just might have a decent year, and Seattle will trade him at the deadline to a contender.  My gut tells me that he'll go to the NL, so . . . and it won't be the Mets.  But, this is an AL thread.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
The three best teams in the AL clearly are in the East.  I know the Rays should regress, and for some reason I think that A-Rod will recover in time to be excellent as usual.  Jeez, he hasn't done steriods since he was leading the Rangers to several last place finishes. :-)

I did this last year (quite poorly as it turned out), but I'm going to run my predictions again.

AL EAST
Yankees
WC-Red Sox
Rays
Orioles
Blue Jays

AL CENTRAL
Indians
White Sox
Royals
Twins
Tigers

AL WEST
Athletics
Rangers
Angels
Mariners

I'll put the rest in the NL thread, Wretch.  It'll be combined anyway.  :-)
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline formerlurker

I like that ALCS matchup.  Put me down for $20.

Only $20 as he knows his Angels can't make it out of the first round...

Offline NHSparky

Wave that WC banner with pride, hon.

Offline formerlurker

Again, we got rid of the AL West chump-champs in how many games was it again Sparky?   

We not only waived it, we shoved it up their arses.   :-)

Offline Oriole Fan

• Player Hater
  • Probationary (Probie)
CC's debut fall shy of expectations

Sabathia shelled.

Texiera with an 0 fer.

Middle relief looked bad.

Hank won't be pleased.

I'll enjoy this while I can.

Offline NHSparky

Again, we got rid of the AL West chump-champs in how many games was it again Sparky?   

We not only waived it, we shoved it up their arses.   :-)

Christ, ya'll are reminding me of Yankees already.  That was yesterday.  What have you done today?

Offline formerlurker

Christ, ya'll are reminding me of Yankees already.  That was yesterday.  What have you done today?

:rotf:

You brought up the WC flag my friend, I was merely responding to it. 

Game starts at 4:05.  I will let you know then.   

Offline formerlurker

CC's debut fall shy of expectations

Sabathia shelled.

Texiera with an 0 fer.

Middle relief looked bad.

Hank won't be pleased.

I'll enjoy this while I can.

I enjoy it year round.    :cheersmate:

Offline formerlurker

Booed all afternoon by the Baltimore crowd after spurning a local contract offer to sign with New York, Mark Teixeira had his biggest chance in the eighth inning with two men on. But Jim Johnson got the slugger to bounce into an inning-ending fielder's choice, finishing Teixeira's day at 0-for-4.

Joe Girardi:  I can't understand it, they did so well in Spring Training........

:lmao:

Leigh Teixeira's husband is a post-season a-fraud.  Delicious. 

Offline formerlurker

It's a Horrific Start for CC and Mr. Leigh
Wait Till Next Year Again, N.Y.
CC, Yanks Rocked to Start Season
Daily News: Struggles an Eye-Opener
Sabathia: 6 Runs, 5 Walks, No Strikeouts
Leigh Texeira's Husband: 0-for-4, 5 Left on Base
What a Waste of Hard-Earned Money. Sincerely, Bernie Madoff

"It's going to leave a sour taste in my mouth." -- CC's not talking about his last cheeseburger either

http://bostondirtdogs.com/

Offline BlueStateSaint

The back page of the New York Post had this phrase on it:  "It's a BIRDBATHIA."  I was rather amused.

Chase her.

Offline Oriole Fan

• Player Hater
  • Probationary (Probie)

Joe Girardi:  I can't understand it, they did so well in Spring Training........

:lmao:

Leigh Teixeira's husband is a post-season a-fraud.  Delicious. 

What's the deal with his wife? Is she the new Anna Benson?

Offline formerlurker

What's the deal with his wife? Is she the new Anna Benson?

He said he let his wife decide which team he was going to go to -- totally made it sound like she wears the pants in the family, and it was completely out of his hands.   Dirt Dogs crucified him when it happened and continue to call him Leigh's husband to this day.   

The fans are going to be SOOOO brutal to him when he comes to Fenway.   I know the O's fans gave it to him good, but it will pale in comparison.   

Offline Oriole Fan

• Player Hater
  • Probationary (Probie)
He said he let his wife decide which team he was going to go to -- totally made it sound like she wears the pants in the family, and it was completely out of his hands.   Dirt Dogs crucified him when it happened and continue to call him Leigh's husband to this day.   

The fans are going to be SOOOO brutal to him when he comes to Fenway.   I know the O's fans gave it to him good, but it will pale in comparison.   

The O's thought they had a shot at 'em. He's from Annapolis.

Offline BlueStateSaint

Exactly.

Chase her.

Offline formerlurker

I remember.   He lied about pretty much everything, or shall I say his POS agent lied.    Annapolis is home, but he has always been a die-hard Yankees' fan?   The Yankees were always at the top of the list of the teams he was considering?   That's funny because they weren't even in the running until the 11th hour. 

Rings mean very little to him apparently.

Offline formerlurker

Oh and NY ain't Texas, or Hotlanta.    He found that out on opening day.   Mr. Bigshot has never been under this type of intense media scrutiny and pressure before.  So far he is hovering at the fail grade.   Girardi sure as hell is not the manager to work him through the "welcome to NY" jitters.

It's all good.   :evillaugh:

Offline Oriole Fan

• Player Hater
  • Probationary (Probie)
Joba bashes NYC in DUI video

He had the right to remain silent, and should have used it. Yankees righthander Joba Chamberlain instead ripped New Yorkers as rude and city drivers as cutthroat after his drunken-driving arrest - before taking a boozy shot at pinstriped icon Yogi Berra. "No bull----, he might not be as tall as the front of your car," Chamberlain told the Nebraska state trooper who found an open bottle of Crown Royal sitting inside the hurler's BMW. Chamberlain's cracks were captured in an arrest video uncovered by thesmokinggun.com. It showed the 23-year-old going through a variety of sobriety tests and chatting amiably with Trooper Michael Grummert. "The biggest thing that I've noticed driving here and there is if you let somebody in, they open the window and say 'thank you,' " Chamberlain said about getting behind the wheel in Nebraska. "In New York, they might hit you. Yeah, it's a joke." The video caught Chamberlain after he was pulled over last Oct. 18 for doing 70 mph in a 55 mph zone. Chamberlain was heading home from a local strip club when stopped.

Link

Offline BlueStateSaint

Joba bashes NYC in DUI video

He had the right to remain silent, and should have used it. Yankees righthander Joba Chamberlain instead ripped New Yorkers as rude and city drivers as cutthroat after his drunken-driving arrest - before taking a boozy shot at pinstriped icon Yogi Berra. "No bull----, he might not be as tall as the front of your car," Chamberlain told the Nebraska state trooper who found an open bottle of Crown Royal sitting inside the hurler's BMW. Chamberlain's cracks were captured in an arrest video uncovered by thesmokinggun.com. It showed the 23-year-old going through a variety of sobriety tests and chatting amiably with Trooper Michael Grummert. "The biggest thing that I've noticed driving here and there is if you let somebody in, they open the window and say 'thank you,' " Chamberlain said about getting behind the wheel in Nebraska. "In New York, they might hit you. Yeah, it's a joke." The video caught Chamberlain after he was pulled over last Oct. 18 for doing 70 mph in a 55 mph zone. Chamberlain was heading home from a local strip club when stopped.

Link

This was a big story in the New York Post yesterday.  Methinks that when Joba gives up six runs in little over an inning at the new Yankee Stadium, the fans will "pay him back."

Chase her.

Offline formerlurker

Is it too early to panic? Sure. However, it's not too soon to gaze at a 3-for-19 (.158) team batting average with runners in scoring position. Or the fact that Sabathia and Wang have hurled a combined eight awful innings in which they have given up 17 hits, 13 runs walked eight and are searching for their first strikeout.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04092009/sports/yankees/for_second_time__big_bucks_lineup_for_th_163577.htm

Nice!

I don;t even want to talk about the Red Sox game.  Thank God I was out and didn;t watch it.