Author Topic: Bucs fire Gruden, general manager  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Bucs fire Gruden, general manager
« on: January 16, 2009, 05:57:05 PM »
wow.  another one that I didn't see coming.

Bucs fire coach, general manager

TAMPA, Fla. -- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have fired coach Jon Gruden and general manager Bruce Allen after the team collapsed following a 9-3 start and failed to make the playoffs.

Gruden, who helped lead the Buccaneers to a victory over the Oakland Raiders in the 2003 Super Bowl, was Tampa Bay's coach for seven years before being dismissed Friday. Allen was general manager for the last five seasons.

The Buccaneers were tied for first place in the NFC South heading into December, but finished with losses to Carolina and Atlanta on the road and San Diego and Oakland at home, where they had been 6-0. One more win would have landed a NFC wild-card berth.

The 9-7 record this season left Tampa out of the playoffs for the fourth time in six years.

"We will be forever grateful to Jon for bringing us the Super Bowl title, and we thank Bruce for his contributions to our franchise," Buccaneers co-chairman Joel Glazer said in a statement. "However after careful consideration, we feel that this decision is in the best interest of our organization moving forward."

More

Offline formerlurker

Re: Bucs fire Gruden, general manager
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 07:00:14 PM »
"However after careful consideration, we feel that this decision is in the best interest of our organization moving forward."

With who the waterboy? 

The NFL has single handedly increased the unemployment stats while simultaneously providing an economic stimulus with its job creations.....

There is no one left to hire Glazer.    If Eric Mangini is first choice for any team then there be some slim pickings out there for sure. 

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
I lived in Tampa from 1969 to 1988 (minus 3 years in the early 80's when I went away to college).  This phrase rang true then, and it still does today:

It's. The. Bucs.   :loser:

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 08:35:36 PM »
He will have a new job in two weeks.

Aside from the Oakland loss, shit just happens.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 08:36:05 PM »
I lived in Tampa from 1969 to 1988 (minus 3 years in the early 80's when I went away to college).  This phrase rang true then, and it still does today:

It's. The. Bucs.   :loser:

the bucs would have been a great team in the 90's, but the packers just happened to be a SPECIAL team.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 08:59:16 PM »
I bet the Rams make a big push for him.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 08:50:44 PM »
Guess the Rams weren't too intereseted in Gruden.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-rams-spagnuolo&prov=ap&type=lgns
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 05:55:31 AM »
Guess the Rams weren't too intereseted in Gruden.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-rams-spagnuolo&prov=ap&type=lgns

I don't blame them, he is a good pick.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 10:18:12 AM »
"Chucky" will have a job soon, I would think.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 10:49:53 AM »
"Chucky" will have a job soon, I would think.

chucky is a moron...

he can't handle the power of HC...

garcia came out  today & said the team HATES gruden & didn't respect his decisions , because they were often WRONG...

I tend to believe the team here, because just look at what gruden has done in the area of qaurterbacks the past few years ...

he dumps the guy that wins a SB for them,  & then lines up a cavalcade of rejects & horrible rookies year after year...

brian greise, jake plummer, garcia was the best, but still not exactly the guy you want to hang your hat on for the future, simms, gradinksi or whatver his name was & on & on & on ....

he's kept 5 QB's on the roster at all times & none of them were gonna wi na SB for the buccs...

was he trying to create a passing team, a running team, a defensive juggernaut, what ??...

the team had no identity, gruden was just crazy ...

I wouldn't want him for a HC...