Author Topic: Is it appropriate to tell a female she has her panties in a twist?  (Read 10527 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Nuclear Unicorn (4,928 posts) http://www.democraticunderground.com/124093447

Is it appropriate to tell a female she has her panties in a twist?
I didn't alert but I am curious if it's a gender-based insult or if I'm just being hyper-sensitive.

:rotf:

You know the bitch had to respond...

iverglas (38,309 posts) <----- has crotchless panties in a bunch.

60. yeah, well, the thing about that is,

I don't wear "panties" either. And that's not how it sounds.

It's one of the words I loathe most in the English language, actually.

I'm sure it comes from a 17th century shortening of pantaloons, and probably applied equally to men at the time or some damned thing.

But what it is in the 21st century is infantilizing. It sounds gender specific, because what man, speaking generally, would refer to his undergarment as "panties"? It's a word for use with children. Or women.

I refer to mine as "underwear", as in "what did you do with my clean underwear?" when the co-vivant has done the laundry, because the whole laundry process is a complete mystery to me. If I realize something's wrong, I'll say I have my underwear on backwards. I'm trying to think whether there's any circumstance in which I might get more specific and say "underpants", since "underwear" could accurately refer to a range of items, but I don't think so. I say underwear, and he knows exactly what I mean.  obviously a man.

I don't know, do other women commonly refer to their underpants as "panties"? I don't think I know any who do, although it's not a big topic of conversation, I have to admit.

Back to the subject, "panties in a twist" (or worse, in a bunch, ick), it could be said in jest, but when it's not, it just sounds rude and dumb. I don't object especially to "knickers in a knot", the way I know it, but I think it also comes as "knickers in a twist". It's another of those things that depend on who's saying it to whom and how. Ducky. 

That sounds more light-hearted and asexual, to me. Of course, in Brit land, "knickers" is the exact equivalent of "panties". But it just doesn't sound precious the way "panties" does, and doesn't sexualize in the way that "panties" obviously does, or trivialize, as I hear it.

The Brits have a lot of better words for things. We don't have a good all-purpose, good clean fun word like "snog". And how much more civilized, and again fun, does it sound to fancy someone than to have the hots for them?

Tad racist too. Them Brits always do shite better than those ig'norant colonials...

rug (36,718 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

67. I don't know. It sounds like a wedgie issue.

:rotf:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: Is it appropriate to tell a female she has her panties in a twist?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 02:23:24 PM »
In the real world? yes, in a politically correct censor everything people don't like to hear world? no!

Now pull up your big girl panties please!
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 02:24:51 PM »
seabeyond
7. i dropped the pearl clutcher cause though it has been used exclusively on women, the gay

community has explained that it has been used on the men in attack. they say it is homophobic. and again, i have and do hear it repeatedly used on women, but i will respect the gay community and not use that one.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 02:24:57 PM »
GMC Chrysler!  You can't say ANYTHING around these people.  I couldn't imagine being locked up in a room with any of them.  That would be my idea of hell.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 02:26:03 PM »
Now pull up your big girl panties please!

thongs or boy shorts?

:hyper:
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 02:26:53 PM »
Iv'enoass has its panties in a twist and a knot and a wad.  :pms:
I wonder if heshe took them off and threw them against a wall, they would stick?  :???:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
seabeyond
16. "Man-up" or "ball" comments. there was a thread of men complaining about this about the time palin

was telling people to get balls, and manning up....

i took those out of my language, too.... out of respect for the men that are bothered with it, giving them a heads up that they are right on. i appreciated them bring it to my notice.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 02:28:46 PM »
thongs or boy shorts?

:hyper:

:lmao: oh wait, aren't I supposed to be offended by what you said?

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 02:32:43 PM »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnd we are off on a tangent...

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 02:33:47 PM »

:-)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 02:35:40 PM »

:fuelfire:

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 02:36:30 PM »
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »
GMC Chrysler!  You can't say ANYTHING around these people.  I couldn't imagine being locked up in a room with any of them.  That would be my idea of hell.

KC

It would be my idea of heaven, as I would send them all to hell!

seabeyond
7. i dropped the pearl clutcher cause though it has been used exclusively on women, the gay

community has explained that it has been used on the men in attack. they say it is homophobic. and again, i have and do hear it repeatedly used on women, but i will respect the gay community and not use that one.

Okay, I give up! WTF is a pearl clutcher?

Is it appropriate to tell a female she has her panties in a twist?

I dunno, is she awake?
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 02:45:08 PM »
I dunno, is she awake?

Does she have to be awake?

(we have already gone past down hill... might as well swerve into the ditch)

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 02:48:37 PM »
iverglas  (38,309 posts)

I refer to mine as "underwear", as in "what did you do with my clean underwear?" when the co-vivant has done the laundry, because the whole laundry process is a complete mystery to me.

Wonder how many whips "she" cracks for this to be done?  "Co-vivant"? Bitch is pretentious, too!
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 03:06:19 PM »
Panties is a gender specific item worn by liberal men. Liberal women go commando. They gotta be ready and available at the drop of a hat.

You can always tell if a woman is a liberal or not. If there are several flies circling around her waist, then she's a dirty hippie without a vapor barrier.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 03:25:20 PM »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnd we are off on a tangent...

cameltoe

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a

Okay, I give up! WTF is a pearl clutcher?

What, you didn't try to "nadin" the answer? ;D
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 04:02:24 PM »
cameltoe

Please swipe your credit card in the direction shown on the display.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 04:21:04 PM »
It would be pointless to tell a DUmmie anything like that, since they live their entire lives in knotted underwear, and know no other state.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 04:26:01 PM »
Is it wrong to ask someone if they went to the beach, because they're acting like they have a sandy vagina?  (even when it's another guy?)

Offline Vagabond

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 04:32:13 PM »
Wow! I wonder what she would have said if she had heard my group of friends in the Army.  Even the female soldiers would ask a guy that was complaining too much if his (insert slang for vagina here) hurt.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline longview

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 04:35:06 PM »
Wow! I wonder what she would have said if she had heard my group of friends in the Army.  Even the female soldiers would ask a guy that was complaining too much if his (insert slang for vagina here) hurt.

They wouldn't do well in ranching circles either.  Insults are gender-neutral and every one is a target.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 04:40:00 PM »
It's sort of surprising that these DUmp bull dagger chicks reject the word "panty", but constantly use the revolting "ve***e" and "tu**y".