Author Topic: vindictive primitive angered by estate sale  (Read 1926 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
vindictive primitive angered by estate sale
« on: March 09, 2012, 06:58:07 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1026172

Oh my.

The vindictive primitive, the notorious re-seller, who pays Dollar General prices for Wedgewood goods and charges Wedgewood prices for Dollar General goods at her own garage sales.

Vinca (21,740 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

An Estate Sale Made Me Angry

I know this is dumb, but yesterday I got so pissed off after going to an estate sale I stewed about it all day. The sale was being run by someone I know and I had a special invite to a "pre-sale sale" on Friday evening that I was unable to get to. I didn't get there on Saturday, either, so I assumed by Sunday when I arrived the place would be picked clean.

What a surprise to walk in and find the place stuffed to the gills. It looked like a museum the items were so high end and it didn't take long to realize the price tags did more than reflect that fact. I didn't see one item priced below what I would consider a retail price and most were well above. One particular picture I had been interested in as a result of the flyer given out weeks before the sale was still on the wall.

After getting over that shock I discovered why. The price was double the value of it. And, unlike other sales I've been to, there was only a very small discount on this, the last day of the sale. I can only assume the owners ignored appraisals and set their own prices. They must have set rules about discounts, too, since I heard a perfectly reasonable offer for a lower end item turned down.

If the person running the sale makes a dime in profit off this I'll be amazed. Don't ask me why this made me so mad . . . I don't know. Maybe it's because sales are few and far between at this time of year and I was looking forward to it and actually had money to spend in my pocket.

Too bad for the vindictive primitive; someone tried to cheat her before she could first cheat him.

supernova (38,867 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

1. Hard to know

Two things could be going on here:

1) Your friend doesn't know anything about estate/tag sales, chiefly that they are for liquidating property And wildly overestimated the value of the items.

2) The owners are jerks who who put ridiculously high reserves on most of their items. In that case, I have a lot of sympathy for your friend who was put in a bad situation.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: vindictive primitive angered by estate sale
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 07:03:35 PM »
It's perfectly fine to profit from capitalism, but not for someone else to. Hmmm.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 10:53:17 PM »
Sooo....the prices on these items were already at the amount this DUmpmonkey could sell them for.

Sooo....she couldn't buy them below market and sell them at or above market.

Sooo...she's pissed off at the seller.

That sounds about right for a DUmmy.

Offline jukin

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 09:23:22 AM »
The things that gets these losers mad is truly sad.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 10:36:21 AM »
The vindictive primitive wanted to use her inside connection with the seller to profit from another person's loss.

How 1% of her.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 10:42:08 AM »

You know, the vindictive primitive, an elderly woman from somewhere in New England--I'm guessing New Hampshire or Vermont--has spent her whole adult life dealing in used goods.

Really, it couldn't have been a lucrative profession.

The vindictive primitive, who recently had her hips replaced, would've been better off if circa 40 years ago she'd gone to work at the local factory or something; it would've meant a more stable life and financial security, not to mention a comfortable retirement.

She's a pal of the fecund grasswire primitive, who adores her.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 11:18:19 AM »
You know, the vindictive primitive, an elderly woman from somewhere in New England--I'm guessing New Hampshire or Vermont--has spent her whole adult life dealing in used goods.

The vindictive primitive, who recently had her hips replaced, would've been better off if circa 40 years ago she'd gone to work at the local factory or something; it would've meant a more stable life and financial security, not to mention a comfortable retirement.

Two observations, Coach (well, three, but the last one is about the Nebraska Cornhuskers basketball program)--

1.  Birds of a feather . . .

2.  Misery loves company.

3.  If Nebraska could hire Bruce Weber for their basketball program, they'd be right in the thick of it with Michigan and Michigan State in two-three years.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 11:40:58 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1026172

Oh my.

The vindictive primitive, the notorious re-seller, who pays Dollar General prices for Wedgewood goods and charges Wedgewood prices for Dollar General goods at her own garage sales.

Too bad for the vindictive primitive; someone tried to cheat her before she could first cheat him.

In an effort to fill the vast empty of the one eyed monster ( take up time on hundreds of cable channels), there are a literally dozens of shows featuring a flea market / estate auction / storage locker buyer theme.  I assume it is the thrill of victory and agony of DE-feet (if you will), that treasure hunter / get rich quicker  / little child that is in us all that makes these shows popular, wow that could have been me finding the Rembrandt for $2.00.  Yep nourish your inner greed DUmmies.  Something for nothing.

Frank, I assume you don't have cable and thus miss all this type stuff ( not that that is a bad thing ).   Amazing how much of this there actually is on cable but then there is a lot of time to fill and it is probably cheap to make.

Yard sales and flea markekets seem to be an American tradition.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 12:07:25 PM »
Buy retail, sell wholesale. Robert Kiyosaki covered this extensively in his series of bestselling books, the first of which was "Rich Dad Poor Dad".
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline shadeaux

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 12:23:41 PM »
How dare someone price something a DUmmy can't afford.   :whatever:

Reminds me of their homemade jewelry no one wants to buy because it's priced like Tiffany's.

Offline jukin

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 12:45:23 PM »
Buy retail, sell wholesale. Robert Kiyosaki covered this extensively in his series of bestselling books, the first of which was "Rich Dad Poor Dad".

I thought that was the smartest man in the history of the world thoughts on green energy. But that is buy high go bankrupt but only f the profit to earnings ration is right IOW, negative.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 01:55:02 PM »

The things that gets these losers mad is what keeps us entertained.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
How dare someone price something a DUmmy can't afford.   :whatever:

Reminds me of their homemade jewelry no one wants to buy because it's priced like Tiffany's.

Which primitive was it that was making jewelry with Swarovski crystals, and trying to pawn them to their captive audience they had at an old folk's home?

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 02:22:48 PM »
Which primitive was it that was making jewelry with Swarovski crystals, and trying to pawn them to their captive audience they had at an old folk's home?

That was no one other than.....

Mrs. Alfred Packer, the hippywife primitive.

I miss her.  I wish she'd come back.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline sybilll

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 02:54:58 PM »
This is rich, coming from the same slopeheads that applaud the $50 lightbulb and the $40k explosive electric car. 

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 03:30:05 PM »
My son's FIL does this estate sales stuff! He could be on that show "Hoarders"! I think he has 2 houses and 2 barns full of stuff. I don't think he's sold anything in years, but he ke3eps buying!

Wonder if this primitive is the same way? His FIL had to move out of his house because of all the crap stacked to the ceiling! OH, and there was dog shit everywhere,too! Just like those shows on TV!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 03:58:36 PM »
That was no one other than.....

Mrs. Alfred Packer, the hippywife primitive.

I miss her.  I wish she'd come back.

She's fertilizer by now.  :whistling:
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 04:08:55 PM »
She's fertilizer by now.
Nah, hippywife Monica's peddling her junk on the internet now.

She gave up on scamming the DUmp and quit. She also kept seeing franksolich peering from behind trees in her backyard.

The DUmpmonkeys were tapped out by Bev Harris and then the Andyscam, and now Skimmer is bleeding them white, so a sharpie like Monica has slim pickings.
http://www.etsy.com/people/hippywife

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »

Oh, quite the contrary, coach.  There's a nice little cottage industry of "antique" stores which charge flatlanders with more money than sense outrageous prices for comparative crap.  Zeit could tell you all about them.

Kinda like the same places that charge $25 for a pot of crappy tea and the customers who are all to happy to part with said money for what's a bunch of dried flowers in hot water.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 08:00:20 PM »
Oh, quite the contrary, coach.  There's a nice little cottage industry of "antique" stores which charge flatlanders with more money than sense outrageous prices for comparative crap.  Zeit could tell you all about them.

Kinda like the same places that charge $25 for a pot of crappy tea and the customers who are all to happy to part with said money for what's a bunch of dried flowers in hot water.

Yep! Ever watch those Storage huntin' fools? They want to pay bottom dollar, then spike the price up until I'd just look at 'em like they had lost their ever luvin' mind!

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 11:50:14 PM »
I thought that was the smartest man in the history of the world thoughts on green energy. But that is buy high go bankrupt but only f the profit to earnings ration is right IOW, negative.
If you are talking about AlGore, how does he lose his investors so much money, but keep his own ?

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 12:18:06 AM »
If you are talking about AlGore, how does he lose his investors so much money, but keep his own ?

He just buys carbon credits from the company he owns. Pretty sweet deal, doncha think?

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 12:24:56 AM »
He just buys carbon credits from the company he owns. Pretty sweet deal, doncha think?
They were de listed from the exchange, and went bankrupt. How did he manage not only to avoid bankruptcy, but profit from the deal ?

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 01:14:12 AM »
They were de listed from the exchange, and went bankrupt. How did he manage not only to avoid bankruptcy, but profit from the deal ?

Amazing what you can do if yer a stinkin' crooked DemonRat with a little pull, huh?

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 11:40:41 AM »
Amazing what you can do if yer a stinkin' crooked DemonRat with a little pull, huh?
Yeah, like Terry McAwful DNC chair and global crossing.
And Hitlary and cattle futures, and many other "investments".