Author Topic: Poll question: Is piercing a babies ears a form of child abuse?  (Read 1919 times)

Offline soleil

Poll question: Is piercing a babies ears a form of child abuse?
« on: October 25, 2010, 08:35:35 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=389&topic_id=9384823&mesg_id=9384823

Just thought there were some interesting comments there. I don't think it is abuse at all. My daughter can get her ears pierced when she is old enough to ask for it, and be able to take care of her ears after the piercing. That is just me. I am not a fan of infant/toddler piercing. I see tots and infants with their ears pierced all of the time, and I have never once wondered if they were abused because of it.  Oh DU! Some lovely stuff there I tell ya.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Re: Poll question: Is piercing a babies ears a form of child abuse?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 08:38:20 PM »
Hmm so far 45 people said yes.
I find it hard to comprehend that ear piercing would be abuse yet abortion is ok.
Then again I'm just a right wing nut job.
 :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline soleil

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:47:32 PM »
I find it hard to comprehend that ear piercing would be abuse yet abortion is ok.

I swear I think some people there just like to be so far out there with their beliefs because they think it makes them a better democrat, but quite honestly, I don't think it jives with most democratic American views. Maybe I am naive though. I don't know many southern democrats that would agree with a lot posted there. I do agree with some things there. For the most part, I feel like it is a contest as to who can be the most liberal, the most far-out democrat because somehow that makes them better.

Offline true_blood

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 08:47:52 PM »
Very true. Good answer. :cheersmate:

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 08:48:09 PM »
Caretha (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Mon Oct-25-10 09:09 PM
Response to Original message
62. No problem

as long as it doesn't sexually affect them in any way.
I'm speechless.
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 08:49:19 PM »
I swear I think some people there just like to be so far out there with their beliefs because they think it makes them a better democrat, but quite honestly, I don't think it jives with most democratic American views. Maybe I am naive though. I don't know many southern democrats that would agree with a lot posted there. I do agree with some things there. For the most part, I feel like it is a contest as to who can be the most liberal, the most far-out democrat because somehow that makes them better.

I think they believe the crap they are shoveling.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 08:51:01 PM »
I'm speechless.

Well hell what good parent doesn't think of the future sex lives of their child?
 :mental:

They are sick.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 08:51:22 PM »
I don't think it's child abuse....but neither do I like to see baby girls or little girls at all, until they are teenagers, with pierced ears.

I know it's a cultural thing for some.

My daughter asked me what I thought about her getting her daughter's pierced....I don't think she liked my response, but so far she hasn't done it....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline soleil

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 08:54:02 PM »
I'm speechless.

Right. It is the ears people. Why would that thought cross that person's mind? If we were talking a vaginal piercing, but we are talking ears and kids. :mental:

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 08:56:25 PM »
Right. It is the ears people. Why would that thought cross that person's mind? If we were talking a vaginal piercing, but we are talking ears and kids. :mental:

If they were talking about vaginal piercings on toddlers at DU it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Offline soleil

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 08:58:14 PM »
I don't think it's child abuse....but neither do I like to see baby girls or little girls at all, until they are teenagers, with pierced ears.

I know it's a cultural thing for some.

My daughter asked me what I thought about her getting her daughter's pierced....I don't think she liked my response, but so far she hasn't done it....

I personally cringe when I see an infant's ears pierced. Not because I think she was abused, but because I think it is tacky, and as if there aren't enough things to worry about with caring for an infant, but like I said, that is just me. I want my kid to at least be able to say that she wants it done. My daughter won't be getting her ears pierced for quite some time, but really it is none of my business if someone chooses to pierce their kids ears. Just because it isn't something I would do doesn't necessarily make it wrong.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 10:07:17 PM »
I don't think it's abuse either, if I had a little girl I would pierce her ears ASAP.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 10:41:32 PM »
It's not child abuse.

Although I would not pierce my daughter's ears until she was old enough to say "yes" or "no" to the piercing.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 02:59:06 AM »
For some reason, I thought the thread title read "Is piercing a baby's arm a form of child abuse?" What?

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 06:20:34 AM »
Guess I'm a child abuser according to the DUmp, cause we got our daughter's ears pierced on her first birthday. When can I expect DCFS to come knocking?  :whatever:

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 06:22:28 AM »
Wanna see some fun over there?

Start a circumcision thread.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Karin

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 07:46:46 AM »
AAAAAGGGHHHHH!!!  MSB!  I was perusing over there yesterday, someone started a FGM thread.  It was too uncomfortably close to dissing Islam, so the conversation promptly turned to regular male baby circumcision.  All of a sudden, I knew waaaaaaayyy TMI, especially since I've seen some of the picture threads.  I don't really want to know about any of those guys' "sexual pleasure."  I didn't dare bring the mess over here, for fear of the bitch slaps.  I exited ASAP and rowed back to safer waters. 

Anyway, as for baby ear piercing, I think of it this way.  Each step in growing up from a girl to a woman is a series of rites of passage.  Being allowed to wear makeup, heels, bras, etc., going on dates, first time this and that, each is a step.  Ear piercing was one of them for me.  If I had a daughter, I'd have it be one for her. 

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
I got mine pierced on Columbus Day.  1978.  I was off school that day.   :-)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 09:56:46 AM »
That whole discussion, as most of their's are, is about control.  If you call it child abuse then they have the 'power' to turn you over to the government if you don't "Do what THEY tell you to do."

It's that simple.  DUmmies want power and since they are too impotent to get some on their own they want to be able to do it at the barrel of a gun.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline soleil

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 10:50:02 AM »
Guess I'm a child abuser according to the DUmp, cause we got our daughter's ears pierced on her first birthday. When can I expect DCFS to come knocking?  :whatever:

How is the pregnancy going?

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 10:59:31 AM »
Not abuse, but not really appropriate until the kid is old enough to ask for it, either.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline jukin

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 12:45:58 PM »
How does the DUmp feel about the tradition of female circumcision/mutilation in islam?

My best guess since the islam card trumps all others that it is OK.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 12:48:06 PM »
How does the DUmp feel about the tradition of female circumcision/mutilation in islam?

My best guess since the islam card trumps all others that it is OK.

I think most of them are against it, but they couch their condemnation on the society, not on the Religion of PeaceTM .

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 01:00:32 PM »

How is the pregnancy going?

Swimmingly, thank you for asking! Doctor says baby is looking good. We should know if it's a boy or a girl sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 01:14:36 PM »
That whole discussion, as most of their's are, is about control.  If you call it child abuse then they have the 'power' to turn you over to the government if you don't "Do what THEY tell you to do."

It's that simple.  DUmmies want power and since they are too impotent to get some on their own they want to be able to do it at the barrel of a gun.

KC

Ding!  Ding!  Ding!

H5 for Teh Winnah!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.