Author Topic: Dummy Food Fight  (Read 1919 times)

Offline zeitgeist

Dummy Food Fight
« on: September 12, 2010, 01:04:03 PM »
Just ran across this campfire burning brightly ( or not ) with lots of campers

It features:

A bobo wanttabe.
Some good advice on cupons and food banks.
Serial Humor.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x9117865

noamnety  (1000+ posts)        Sat Sep-11-10 11:04 PM
Original message
"I just bought 672 boxes of cereal"
 From http://www.pennyexperiment.com/i-just-bought-672-boxes-... /

I still find it hard to believe that I did this. Lucky Supermarket was having a cereal promotion this week (still good until Tues) where if you buy 4 boxes of Kellogg’s Apple Jacks, Corn Pops, Fruit Loops and Corn Flakes, each box is $1.39 or $5.56 for all four. I had a lot of left over Blinkie coupons for $0.70 off 1 box of Kellogg’s Apple Jacks, Corn Pops or Fruit Loops. I also had a ton of $1.00 off 2 Kellogg’s Corn Flakes coupons (one reader asked how she could help and I said I could always use cereal coupons and she sent me loads).

I did the first transaction as 4 Fruit Loops using four $0.70 off of 1 coupons. This brought the price down from $5.56 to $2.76. I paid this out of pocket, but received a $3.00 catalina coupon (the ones that come out of the register) for my next purchase.

(snip)

I didn’t have a chance to take photos of everything because I had to house sit tonight and was running late, but here are some of the boxes in the dining room and my room (there are more in other rooms):

I will spend next week driving these to the local food banks in my area (It took 5 carloads to get it all home) and these boxes of cereal will be added to the Penny Experiment food purchased master list.

Someone pointed me to the penny experiment last month. Jeffrey Strain began with one penny in Nov, 2009 that he picked up on a sidewalk, and is working to turn that into a million dollars in food donations to food banks. Right now he's at $17,379.21.

I got inspired by that post and decided to give it a try. In the last three weeks, I've been able to collect/donate $248.06 of food. It cost me $16.81.

Good idea and inspiring, but then Vesta's bobo like mole shows up. :tongue:

rucognizant  (1000+ posts)       Sun Sep-12-10 06:41 AM
Response to Reply #14
37. LYRIC.........smug,  
 SHAME ON YOU! PLEASE RETHINK!
"then worrying about the health of your food is pretty low on the priority list."
I didn't get to be 71 years OLD EATING CORN FLAKES...........................Now because of the stupidity of the cat food commission..my SS is only 5.14 per hr, food prices go up despite THEIR insistance THAT WE HAVE NO INFLATION. Butter jumped .50 lb last week. ( margerine is unhealthy for you & not that much cheaper!)

I just REMOVED MYSELF from the GOVT COMMODITIES LIST - 30 free lbs of food a month, because the canned peas & corn ( I never ate corn) were high in sodium, & I accumulated 4.5lb of corn flakes I COULDN'T EAT! They give me a stomach ache!!!
ANY FOOD THAT HURTS CAN'T BE GOOD! It's Ralston not Kellog, but same dif. I suspect.
INGREDIENTS; milled corn,SUGAR, SALT,CORNSYRUP, ( HFCS) & Malt Syrup. I suspect it is also GM corn they use, as 90% of the corn crop is now infected!
OATMEAL!!!! Remember that commercial with the old guys raving over how oatmeal REDUCES CHOLESTEROL? YOU CAN"T GET THAT AT THE FOOD PANTRY OR FROM THE GOVT.
I talked with the Director of the "local" faith based, food bank, about this rejection & she AGREED WITH ME 100%. SHe said,"It's not about food insufficiency but healthy food, come on in we have plenty of PRODUCE this week!"
We are going to collaborate, on some healthy recipes, to give out to the recipients of the pantry ie: I grow parsley & basil in a window box year round,. Parsley is higher in Vitamin C than citrus fruit,easy to incorporate in anything you cook.
( In the dim distant past when America WAS, invitations to my dinner parties were prized.........I know gourmet cooking & nutrition!)

Presently I am still functioning as a busy CEO, NOT sitting around knitting, IT IS REQUIRING 10 HOURS A DAY OF INTENSIVE WORK ( NOT FUELED BY CORN FLAKES! PROBLEM BEING NO ONE CAN AFFORD TO BUY ARTWORK, & IN COMMERCIAL TERMS THE VALUE SYSTEM OF THE CEO'S HAS CHANGED THEY WANT FREE ARTWORK INSTEAD OF SUPPORTING A GROUP OF SKILLED WORKERS, DOING WHAT THEY ARE GOOD AT. THE ABILITY TO "SEE" ARTWORK IS GONE TOO; FALSE PEOPLE ( 1% WITH THE $ CAN'T SEE OR APPRECIATE. THEY BUY DEAD ARTISTS FOR INVESTMENT!

ANYONE WANT FREE CORNFLAKES? SEND ME $3.00 for shipping & I'll mail you a box!
JUST LIKE THE AUTO WORKERS OR ANY OTHER JOB DESCRIPTION, MY JOB HAS DISAPPEARED!

And like the Energizer Bunny keeps on going.

Take a walk on the wild side and check this one out. But don't forget to wipe your feet before coming  in the house. :rotf:

Pats are kickin a little Bengal behind at the moment or I would post more.

ETA Serial Humor?

aikoaiko  (1000+ posts)      Sun Sep-12-10 11:44 AM
Response to Original message
64. Corn Flakes: John Harvey Kellogg's cure for the propensity to masturbate.

True story.

brewens  (679 posts)      Sun Sep-12-10 12:14 PM
Response to Original message
68. You're gonna need a shitload of milk! n/t

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 01:12:52 PM by zeitgeist »
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Dummy Food Fight
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 01:06:45 PM »
If something as minor as corn flakes are giving you a stomach ache, I don't think it's the cereal.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 01:15:11 PM »
If something as minor as corn flakes are giving you a stomach ache, I don't think it's the cereal.

More like it's actual solid food instead of alcohol/booze/illicit drugs in your stomach.

Or, he/she/it could be lactose intolerant. 

Leave it to a DUmmie to bitch about free food.   :banghead:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 01:22:44 PM »
More like it's actual solid food instead of alcohol/booze/illicit drugs in your stomach.

Or, he/she/it could be lactose intolerant. 

Leave it to a DUmmie to bitch about free food.   :banghead:

Actually the real Main-ahs are big on Coffee Brandy and Milk.  But it probably would cause problems when you use it on your cornflakes after a few years.   :-)

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 01:51:28 PM »
It's great that the OP was able to save that much money.  Like I said, if you use your coupons properly, you could save so much money in food every month.

Why all the hate though?  Yes, 672 boxes of cereal is excessive if you save it all for yourself.  But if this poster plans on donating some of it, then good for them.  That's what I understood from the thread.  This person is doing a GOOD thing, and everyone bitches about it.  I guess since she didn't give the the cereal to the DU leeches, it's not good enough.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 01:54:53 PM »
The problem is that a private citizen is doing it instead of the all loving state.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 02:04:02 PM »
Kudos to the blogger who's donating all that cereal, and shame on a few people who are knocking it!
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 02:13:17 PM »
Kudos to the blogger who's donating all that cereal, and shame on a few people who are knocking it!

Yeah-butt how can you argue with logic like this??

rucognizant  (1000+ posts)       Sun Sep-12-10 07:06 AM
Response to Reply #32
40. NOT!
 rethink!
You are buying into the corporate tricks with the coupons......................
Has anyone volunteered your time to WORK in GARDEN for a food pantry? That is needed more!
During WWII we had rationing; BUT ate plenty of produce! That & the early med advances are why people are living longer now.
Later med advances adding to the problem. not so hot so. creating illness, as food corps created monstrous food!
Younger people are dying younger now because of it!

Evil corporations are everywhere, buggity buggity boo!! :rotf:

Offline diesel driver

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 02:20:32 PM »
Notice the bitching DUmmie's name

rucognizant

Likely not, probably never.   :hammer:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
Yeah-butt how can you argue with logic like this??

Evil corporations are everywhere, buggity buggity boo!! :rotf:

:banghead:
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 02:41:01 PM »
Notice the bitching DUmmie's name

rucognizant

Likely not, probably never.   :hammer:

Rue's Maine Avatar and this sequence are both interesting.

TexasObserver (1000+ posts)        Sun Sep-12-10 10:17 AM
Response to Reply #46
54. Isn't that the truth?
 Hard to take seriously is dead on.

"Unbelievable" is another word that applies.
 Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

Commie Pinko Dirtbag  (1000+ posts)        Sun Sep-12-10 02:34 PM
Response to Reply #54
86. Most posted forum:
Astrology, Spirituality & Alternative Healing Group.

What a SURPRISE!
 donco  (478 posts)        Sun Sep-12-10 01:09 PM

Response to Reply #46
78. WHAT...WHAT AFTER  
 ALL THE CAPS I PUT UP?

SmileyRose (1000+ posts)      Sun Sep-12-10 05:58 AM
Response to Reply #11
35. Starvation isn't that healthy either
 we do what we can..................

You have to have had lots of coffee brandy on the cornflakes when even the primitives rag on you. Now I ask, is this really a bobo mole or sock puppet

:rotf:

Offline true_blood

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 05:08:41 PM »
It's just like the libs/primitives to complain. It's in their nature, even if the food is free. ::)

Offline Karin

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 12:11:56 PM »
I talked with the Director of the "local" faith based, food bank, about this rejection & she AGREED WITH ME 100%. SHe said,"It's not about food insufficiency but healthy food, come on in we have plenty of PRODUCE this week!"

Oh Looky.  A faith-based organization is doing a better job that the nanny-state goverment.  Who'da thunk?

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 02:13:47 PM »
Presently I am still functioning as a busy CEO, NOT sitting around knitting, IT IS REQUIRING 10 HOURS A DAY OF INTENSIVE WORK ( NOT FUELED BY CORN FLAKES! PROBLEM BEING NO ONE CAN AFFORD TO BUY ARTWORK, & IN COMMERCIAL TERMS THE VALUE SYSTEM OF THE CEO'S HAS CHANGED THEY WANT FREE ARTWORK INSTEAD OF SUPPORTING A GROUP OF SKILLED WORKERS, DOING WHAT THEY ARE GOOD AT. THE ABILITY TO "SEE" ARTWORK IS GONE TOO; FALSE PEOPLE ( 1% WITH THE $ CAN'T SEE OR APPRECIATE. THEY BUY DEAD ARTISTS FOR INVESTMENT!

Oh geez it's one of those starving artists. However, if it can take itself off the food bank roles should it have been getting free food in the first place. Why is it those getting free stuff are so ungrateful. I'd be happy with corn flakes if I was hungry.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 02:29:30 PM »
Oh geez it's one of those starving artists. However, if it can take itself off the food bank roles should it have been getting free food in the first place. Why is it those getting free stuff are so ungrateful. I'd be happy with corn flakes if I was hungry.

Cindie

I remember when my mom remarried back in the 60's and we ended up with 9 kids under one roof. While my Step Dad went to night school and worked a low payin' job durin' the day, we got gubmint cheese, peanut butter, canned chicken, ( blech! ), and wheat germ, also blech!.

I also remember we were damned glad and thankful to get it!

Hey, DUmbass, if ya don't think the "free" stuff is up to your standards, you're welcome to get a frikkin' job and buy yer own!!!!!!!!!!! Frikkin' leechin' slug!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline diesel driver

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 04:35:33 PM »
I remember when my mom remarried back in the 60's and we ended up with 9 kids under one roof. While my Step Dad went to night school and worked a low payin' job durin' the day, we got gubmint cheese, peanut butter, canned chicken, ( blech! ), and wheat germ, also blech!.

I also remember we were damned glad and thankful to get it!

Hey, DUmbass, if ya don't think the "free" stuff is up to your standards, you're welcome to get a frikkin' job and buy yer own!!!!!!!!!!! Frikkin' leechin' slug!

My ex-MIL used to get stuff from the SHARE pantry once a month or so, and she would let us pick out what we wanted/needed.  Government cheese ain't that bad, but the peanut butter was too dry to spread on a slice of bread.  I did get a can of "government pork" with one batch, I kept it in the pantry to show people that I actually had some "government pork".  We ate it before the expiration date, and we had to scoop about a third of a can of fat off the top before we heated it up.  Not bad with BBQ sauce on HB buns.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 07:06:12 PM »
My ex-MIL used to get stuff from the SHARE pantry once a month or so, and she would let us pick out what we wanted/needed.  Government cheese ain't that bad, but the peanut butter was too dry to spread on a slice of bread.  I did get a can of "government pork" with one batch, I kept it in the pantry to show people that I actually had some "government pork".  We ate it before the expiration date, and we had to scoop about a third of a can of fat off the top before we heated it up.  Not bad with BBQ sauce on HB buns.

Been a few times in my life when I ate corn flakes with water so the kids could have milk on theirs.   

About the cell phones, It was in the news last Feb. that a woman living alone had died when the power company shut off her electricity in below freezing temps. and she was on some kind of Oxygen that needed electricity.  Cell phones have become just as important as tooth paste in today's world.