Author Topic: Abortion Poll = Mole Trap  (Read 4233 times)

Offline thundley4

Abortion Poll = Mole Trap
« on: March 02, 2010, 11:05:35 AM »
RainDog   (1000+ posts)           Tue Mar-02-10 08:34 AM
Original message
Poll question: Poll: Abortion

Poll result (117 votes)
I support a woman's right to choose according to Roe v. Wade    (107 votes, 91%)   Vote
I do not support a woman's right to choose according to Roe v. Wade    (10 votes, 9%)   Vote
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7824537

Bettie   (605 posts)           Tue Mar-02-10 08:36 AM
Response to Original message
2. If you're on DU, I'd kind of think this is a given

Pro-choice is one of the basics of being a progressive.

Must march in lockstep.

RainDog   (1000+ posts)           Tue Mar-02-10 08:53 AM
Response to Reply #2
4. and at least one person on this board is anti-choice... n/t

Cerridwen   (1000+ posts)             Tue Mar-02-10 10:19 AM
Response to Reply #4
9. Now up to 5 as I type this.

Interesting, isn't it?

Actually, I imagine there are many more who post here who are anti-choice but haven't yet voted.

tekisui   (1000+ posts)             Tue Mar-02-10 09:33 AM
6. 3 anti-choicers? They should be banned.

t0dd   (978 posts)             Tue Mar-02-10 09:38 AM
Response to Reply #6
7. yep, they should. they're on the wrong site.

Tommy_Carcetti   (1000+ posts)             Tue Mar-02-10 10:35 AM
Response to Reply #6
12. Yes, let's ban anyone who doesn't agree with 100% that everyone else believes.

Unfortunately, since 100% of people don't agree on what 100% of things to believe in, that will result in a mass banning of everyone. Fun!

tekisui   (1000+ posts)             Tue Mar-02-10 10:41 AM
Response to Reply #12
13. No need to agree 100%. But, there are some things that   

should be absolute on DU. In fact there are some. Gay rights is one issue that can get one banned to be against.

Anti-Choice should be another.

No room for true Christians at DU, is there?

Tommy_Carcetti   (1000+ posts)             Tue Mar-02-10 10:55 AM
Response to Reply #13
14. Says who? You?

You'd be turning your backs on a lot of solid Democrats and progressives if you decide that only one issue (read: abortion) trumps all others in what makes one a "good" or "bad" liberal in your little mind.

But go ahead, play the single issue game by all means.

Maru Kitteh   (1000+ posts)             Tue Mar-02-10 11:01 AM
Response to Reply #14
15. **** them all.

There is no such thing as a "solid progressive" who believes that the reproductive enslavement of women is just.

Tommy_Carcetti   (1000+ posts)             Tue Mar-02-10 11:02 AM
Response to Reply #15
17. If that's how you want to frame the issue, then yeah.

Edited on Tue Mar-02-10 11:06 AM by Tommy_Carcetti
But the abortion debate has become less about the debate and more about issue framing and bumper sticker sloganeering.

So the only really important thing about being a progressive is supporting abortion rights? That one issue overshadows everything else--universal health care, a proactive government that cares for people as opposed to corporations, fostering peace across the world--those are all secondary issues?

Zoeisright   (1000+ posts)           Tue Mar-02-10 11:37 AM
Response to Reply #14
21. Yes. Me.

If you think that a woman shouldn't be able to control her own body, you are NOT progressive. PERIOD. And you should not be on this board.

Mind your own ****ing business.

How many babies have you killed?

Maru Kitteh   (1000+ posts)             Tue Mar-02-10 11:42 AM
Response to Reply #22
24. Crotch-sniffing sperm worshipers should have no place on DU.

And they are most certainly not progressives.

WTF does that mean?

ensho   (1000+ posts)           Tue Mar-02-10 11:49 AM
Response to Reply #13
29. agree - how can a democrate/progressive be against women's best interest?

mostly likely DUs anti choice people are misogynists

How about we believe in the sanctity of innocent life?

Maine-ah   (1000+ posts)             Tue Mar-02-10 10:14 AM
8. I'd like to see the five that voted that they didn't support

right to chose explain their position.

tekisui   (1000+ posts)             Tue Mar-02-10 10:29 AM
Response to Reply #8
10. They are most likely christian men.   

In support of male domination and female subordination. They should get a tombstone, IMO.

Right. No woman would ever be anti-baby killing.

Tommy_Carcetti   (1000+ posts)             Tue Mar-02-10 11:01 AM
Response to Reply #11
16. "Choice" and "Life" are meaningless rhetorical buzzwords invented by each side of the debate...

...to make their side look like the most righteous one and to demonize the opposing side. No one wants to be "anti-choice" or "anti-life" anymore than they would want to be "anti-sunshine" or "anti-puppies."

The bottom line, however, is that there are infinite more choices than the choice to have an abortion. And there are many more lives than just the life of the fetus. What you have is posteuring by both sides to make a morally complex and delicate issue into an easy black-and-white issue.

Abortion politics--from both sides of the debate--frustrates me to no end.[/quote

ismnotwasm   (1000+ posts)           Tue Mar-02-10 11:48 AM
Response to Reply #16
28. Frustrates you?

I usually word it differently, but I was being polite. Anti-abortion is pro-forced birth, a type of physical slavery.

Abortion goes beyond choice, its a human right not to be forced to carry, what is essentially a parasitic growth that can cause death and permanent disease or disability. Now, I'm not one to parse words about whether a fetus is 'human' or not. Of course it's human. What I believe in is maternal moral authority. What the question was involving here, was Roe vs. Wade. The 'complexities' that you allude to are better left outside the law which needs merely to ensure that abortion is available and safe, and leave the philosophy up to the individual woman involved.

I was surprised not to see name removed show up nor his lesser known twin sub-thread removed.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Abortion Poll = Mole Trap
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 11:10:41 AM »
While I agree that it is technically a mole trap, there is a way to vote "no" if you argue it correctly.  You would have to post that Roe v. Wade doesn't go far enough to protect the rights of abortion.  Something along those lines.

There's your advanced moling lesson for the day. :-)
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 11:13:30 AM »
I hadn't thought about, and I'll bet no DUmmie would either.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 11:22:12 AM »
So if you're a lib, and you are pro-abortion, but you still believe Roe v. Wade is bad case law, is that allowed?  Probably not.

Hey they're primitives, they march in lockstep all the time.  When they say "some things that should be absolute on DU," they really wish it was the whole planet and they were the judge, juror, and executioners.  This is a further illustration against their claim that they are a big-tent party.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 11:28:56 AM »
As soon as the fetus is required to sign-off on a consent form to be aborted I will call it "pro-choice".
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 11:37:33 AM »
Maru Kitteh   (1000+ posts)             Tue Mar-02-10 11:42 AM
Response to Reply #22
24. Crotch-sniffing sperm worshipers should have no place on DU.

Careful, Maru, your anti-gay bias is showing!

:rotf:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 12:05:39 PM »
Okay, but if that "parasitic" growth was a minority female growth shouldn't it be given the same opportunity to benefit from affirmative action policies that other minorities do?

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 01:01:11 PM »
the reproductive enslavement of women

Okay, which one of you crotch sniffin', sperm worshupin' assholes, made all the womens spread their legs???!!!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 01:18:57 PM »
ensho   (1000+ posts)           Tue Mar-02-10 11:49 AM
Response to Reply #13
29. agree - how can a democrate/progressive be against women's best interest?

Interesting. Individuals who began their lives as embryos developed a vaccine for polio, developed transplant procedures, developed tons of medication and the list goes on. Would it have been in "women's best interest" if these individuals were killed before developing these things?

tekisui   (1000+ posts)             Tue Mar-02-10 09:33 AM
6. 3 anti-choicers? They should be banned.

Anit-choicers? My wife has the choice to walk into a convenience store. She has the choice to decide if she wants a Coke or a Pepsi. She has the choice to decide between a bottle or a can. But she does NOT have a choice to kill the cashier simply because the cashier is an inconvenience.
On a similar note, you have the choice to take birth control. You have the choice to make the man wear a condom. You have the choice not to have sex. You have a ton of choices. If you get pregnant unwantingly you apparently are not very good when it comes to choices. So why should we allow someone who has clearly demonstrated poor choice making ability to make the choice as to whether or not to end an innocent life?
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 01:33:13 PM »
So if you're a lib, and you are pro-abortion, but you still believe Roe v. Wade is bad case law, is that allowed?  Probably not.

Hey they're primitives, they march in lockstep all the time.  When they say "some things that should be absolute on DU," they really wish it was the whole planet and they were the judge, juror, and executioners.  This is a further illustration against their claim that they are a big-tent party.

My problem is that overturning RvW doesn't make abortion illegal, it simply allows the states to decide.

My other problem is I  don't consider a court decision to be "law" since they are not, in my opinion, "law makers".

I'm weird that way.

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 01:34:06 PM »
You have the choice not to have sex.

BINGO!!!!

Same thing goes for faggots with AIDs!

Offline kenth

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 02:20:11 PM »
My problem is that overturning RvW doesn't make abortion illegal, it simply allows the states to decide.

My other problem is I  don't consider a court decision to be "law" since they are not, in my opinion, "law makers".

I'm weird that way.

That's what I was thinking. And, if the dummies really believe it to be a right, it doesn't matter if Roe is in effect or not making either option a potentially "correct" one for them. All that would be over their heads though.

I can't imagine getting much in the way of clear thinking from someone whose kneejerk reactions include, "crotch sniffing sperm worshiper."

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 03:03:34 PM »
That's what I was thinking. And, if the dummies really believe it to be a right, it doesn't matter if Roe is in effect or not making either option a potentially "correct" one for them. All that would be over their heads though.

I can't imagine getting much in the way of clear thinking from someone whose kneejerk reactions include, "crotch sniffing sperm worshiper."

Aw c'mon! I thought is was quite colorful! Heh, heh!

Offline Karin

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 03:59:47 PM »
its a human right not to be forced to carry, what is essentially a parasitic growth that can cause death and permanent disease or disability.

God, I hate them. 

I've seen this death, etc. arguement before.  They act like it's the 19th century or before.  I don't know, I'm speechless with that quote up there.  I hate them.  I'm checking out for the night.  Be back tomorrow afternoon. 

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 04:28:29 PM »
...what is essentially a parasitic growth that can cause death and permanent disease or disability.

Now you know how we feel about liberals.

Can we choose not to have to carry you to term?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 08:06:17 PM »
Tommy_Carcetti   (1000+ posts)             Tue Mar-02-10 11:02 AM
Response to Reply #15
17. If that's how you want to frame the issue, then yeah.

Edited on Tue Mar-02-10 11:06 AM by Tommy_Carcetti
But the abortion debate has become less about the debate and more about issue framing and bumper sticker sloganeering.

So the only really important thing about being a progressive is supporting abortion rights? That one issue overshadows everything else--universal health care, a proactive government that cares for people as opposed to corporations, fostering peace across the world--those are all secondary issues?

I want people caring for people not corporations or government.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 09:52:31 PM »
I want people caring for people not corporations or government.

What exactly does this have to do with the cost of tea in China?