Author Topic: Was Jimmy Carter THAT Bad?  (Read 14905 times)

Offline Alpha Mare

Was Jimmy Carter THAT Bad?
« on: February 28, 2010, 01:32:28 AM »
 :thatsright:
Bullet1987 (1000+ posts)      Sat Feb-27-10 11:58 PM
Original message
 We often hear that Obama is going to be another Jimmy Carter? I've even seen it written on here by DUers. I would understand why the Republicans hate him...they hate all Democrats. But since when did Carter's name become synonymous with failure? Is it purely because he was a 1-term President? But then GHWB (Poppy) was a 1-term President too. His son was an even bigger failure. I don't see people coming on T.V. saying "you don't want to be like the Bushes." I'm only 22, so I wasn't around way back then. Is it because Carter was possibly the last true American President before complete corporate takeover brought to us by Ronald Reagan? Or is it just more of the MSM/republicans dictating to the Democratic Party? I know Carter has said a lot of things that have put him in the news. He's openly called Israel's actions apartheid and that pissed a lot of people off. But Israel has been getting some bad press lately. People aren't as afraid to criticize them or question them now as they once were. They still have a very powerful lobby called AIPAC though.

So what's the big idea?

PurgedVoter  (590 posts)        Sun Feb-28-10 12:04 AM
Response to Original message
1. Carter stood up to the oil companies
 He was and is an honest and brilliant man. The best president that we have had in my lifetime.

Skittles  (1000+ posts)      Sun Feb-28-10 12:11 AM
4. no, he was not

sandnsea  (1000+ posts)      Sun Feb-28-10 12:17 AM
5. Republicans crashed the economy
 pissed off the Middle East and then dumped it in Carter's lap.

Sound familiar?

No, he wasn't a bad President. If we had listened to him all these years, we wouldn't be in the mess we're in today.

He did start a lot of the deregulating though. I don't think he was that great of a friend to labor.

rufus dog  (1000+ posts)      Sun Feb-28-10 12:24 AM
7. sandnsea makes a good point
 He put together a plan for Energy independence in response to the Mid East Crisis. St. Ronnie tore it apart to the point of making a big deal of tearing the Solar Panels off the WH. (Nice payback to the Oil Companies)
No telling how much money and lives would have been saved if those policies had been followed.

Brother Buzz  (1000+ posts)      Sun Feb-28-10 12:35 AM
8. The right wing echo machine attacked him from day one undermining his administration
 it culminated with the covert agreement between Reagan et al. and the Khomeini regime in Iran to delay release of the American hostages until Carter left office. Some say it boarded on treason; I believe it WAS treason.

FrenchieCat  (1000+ posts)        Sun Feb-28-10 12:55 AM
13. Democrats blew it, 
 turned against him, and that's how we got that ****ed-up Reagan, God of the Right....and then Bush Sr.

Clinton slid in, but did a lot of the dirty work that had been started by Reagan,
and then Bush Jr. pushed his way in.

That's what Democrats got for ****ing whining about everything and never being satisfied.

May happen again, at the rate we're going.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=433x202034
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: Was Jimmy Carter THAT Bad?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 05:49:45 AM »
Psssst Jimmuh,don`t look now but behind you....

Carter was an idiot among idiots and those of us alive when he was President knew it and no amount of DUmp revisionism will change it.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 05:50:51 AM »
While we're talking about the Obamessiah being like President Peanut, I found this:

This will be about it . . .  :-) :tongue: :evillaugh:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 06:26:36 AM »
Yes, he was that bad.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 06:34:49 AM »
Yes, he was that bad.

+1...oh hell + however big Ronnie R's landslide was. How big was it again DUmmies?  :uhsure: :innocent:

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 07:24:17 AM »
Quote from: Bullet1987
Bullet1987 (1000+ posts)      Sat Feb-27-10 11:58 PM
Original message
 We often hear that Obama is going to be another Jimmy Carter? I've even seen it written on here by DUers. I would understand why the Republicans hate him...they hate all Democrats. But since when did Carter's name become synonymous with failure? Is it purely because he was a 1-term President? But then GHWB (Poppy) was a 1-term President too. His son was an even bigger failure. I don't see people coming on T.V. saying "you don't want to be like the Bushes." I'm only 22, so I wasn't around way back then. Is it because Carter was possibly the last true American President before complete corporate takeover brought to us by Ronald Reagan? Or is it just more of the MSM/republicans dictating to the Democratic Party? I know Carter has said a lot of things that have put him in the news. He's openly called Israel's actions apartheid and that pissed a lot of people off. But Israel has been getting some bad press lately. People aren't as afraid to criticize them or question them now as they once were. They still have a very powerful lobby called AIPAC though.

So what's the big idea?

You weren't really around for Reagan either, yet you seem to have an opinion of him- Why do you need to be spoon fed Carter talking points ? - did you find the interwebs not as "Carter Friendly" as you were hoping ?

Or are you a mole stirring the pot ?

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 07:24:49 AM »

Carter was an idiot among idiots and those of us alive when he was President knew it and no amount of DUmp revisionism will change it.

:rotf:

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 07:29:34 AM »
+1...oh hell + however big Ronnie R's landslide was. How big was it again DUmmies?  :uhsure: :innocent:

Because the landslide was so massive in 1984, what many people forget was that four years earlier, against the Incompetent One, Ronald Reagan had amassed a nearly-equally large landslide.

Reagan's victory in 1980 was as Roosevelt's landslide in 1932 (against the "Great Humanitarian" Hoover), and 1984 was as Roosevelt's landslide in 1936.

And then George Bush in 1988--the presidential race only, not the congressional races--was Roosevelt in 1932 all over again.

The primitives really need to learn some history.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 07:31:03 AM »
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 08:01:57 AM »
I was around for Carter. I served in the Military under Nixon and Ford. I watched how the peanut farmer screwed up the military, economy ( remember those interest rates), and foreign relations ( middle east). I was based in Cal. while Reagan was Gov., and he was good at it.
And yes, Carter was still the worst, EVER. Thank GOD for Reagan.... We need one like him now.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 08:04:18 AM »

Was Jimmah that bad?  Yep.   Hey dummies, he barely beat Gerald Ford who had pardoned arch villain Richard Nixon for heaven sake.  People were reduced to drinking postum, eating horse meat and using artificial sweeteners!!  

Great lunch box miskie.  Kids would have carried their government cheese sandwich (or government peanut butter) and gone home to a nice supper of government macaroni an cheese.  Them were the days.  High unemployment and higher interest rates.  I may still have a copy of a CD paying 18%.   I was working for the forerunner of CETA at the time.  Carter's legacy is a turd which will never be polished.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 09:06:44 AM »
Yes, he was that bad.

However bad you might think he was, he was actually at least three times worse than that.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 09:19:38 AM »
Was Carter that bad?????

In two words:  HELL YES!!!!!!!

Until Zero made the scene, Carter was SO bad (How bad was he?), if you looked up "incompetent" in the dictionary, it would have his picture....   :rimshot:

Now, there is a very real possibility that the latest editions of dictionaries will have BOTH of their pictures....
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 09:30:16 AM »
Was Jimmah that bad?  Yep.   Hey dummies, he barely beat Gerald Ford who had pardoned arch villain Richard Nixon for heaven sake.  People were reduced to drinking postum, eating horse meat and using artificial sweeteners!!  

Great lunch box miskie.  Kids would have carried their government cheese sandwich (or government peanut butter) and gone home to a nice supper of government macaroni an cheese.  Them were the days.  High unemployment and higher interest rates.  I may still have a copy of a CD paying 18%.   I was working for the forerunner of CETA at the time.  Carter's legacy is a turd which will never be polished.

heh, I remember those days of total poorness, and had eaten many a dinner of tuna-noodle casserole made with gub-mint cheese. Frankly - that was some of the best tuna-noodle casserole ever. Its just not the same without that gooey orange goodness.  :-)

Offline Duchess

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 09:41:40 AM »
Even Carter knows he was that bad, that's why he's never shut his mouth since he left office, and has designated himself as critic of every administration since his own-he's been trying desperately ever since to shine up his tarnished legacy.

Offline Duchess

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
Too bad the young DUmmy wasn't there in person to experience waiting in line for gas, hoping it wouldn't run out before he got there, or Carter lecturing Americans about our "malaise", or making America look totally incapable re:the hostage situation. The Iranians knew Reagan would be a whole different ballgame even before he took office.

Offline Duchess

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
And Carter upheld the "highest" DUmmy standards of politicising everything by pulling us out of the Olympics over a political matter.

Carter is despicable, and he hasn't gotten any better since getting booted out of office.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 09:52:59 AM »
And Carter upheld the "highest" DUmmy standards of politicising everything by pulling us out of the Olympics over a political matter.

Carter is despicable, and he hasn't gotten any better since getting booted out of office.

A must read.

Offline Duchess

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 09:55:03 AM »
A must read.

Thanks, I will get it and read it.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 10:01:24 AM »
He wasn't all bad. He did bring us Billy Beer.

Offline HACKSAW

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 10:04:28 AM »

Somebody had to do it... may as well be me!

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcxKIJTb3Hg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XcxKIJTb3Hg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Liberals are like Slinkies...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 11:06:07 AM »
He wasn't all bad. He did bring us Billy Beer.

And we probably wouldn't have had the TV show The Dukes of Hazzard if he weren't elected president.

Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 11:22:54 AM »
Serious about it now but one really did have to live in that day.

We had a media and President in the wake of Vietnam telling us that America was in the wrong and all but finished.
The greatest country the world has ever seen and the one through self turmoils had brought greater freedom and prosperity then all the world have ever known.

This incompetent fool (Carter) didn`t believe that and was willing and happy to throw it all away to bow down to the Soviets.

If not for his stupidity there would be no WOT as likewise if not for Roosevelts  trust of uncle Joe at Yalta there may have been no cold war.

History will within a decade recognize what President Bush 43 did and will place him in the upper half of Presidential rankings.
Carter will always be near the bottom and O will be alongside him.
DUmmies know this and are trying to convince themselves otherwise but as with all things they are irrelevant.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 11:29:59 AM »
When you hear about what an awful President Jimmuh was, you don't often get a feel for the full spectrum of awfulness Jimmuh truly was. You hear about the astronomical 20+% mortgage rate and the 10+% unemployment rate - those are the obvious things. But Jimmuh probably had less control over those disasters than other actions that were pure Jimmuh, and contributed to the miserable experience of his presidency. How about his reaction to the "Arab oil embargo", the embargo that never was? Jimmuh's meddling with distribution and inventories led to huge lineups for gasoline and artificial shortages all over the country. How about his energy independence initiatives? More nukes? No. Encourage coal production? No. Encourage offshore drilling? No. He put up his silly solar panels to deface the White House, and pushed his moonbat democrat Congress to pass the universally-ignored 55 mile-per-hour speed limit for interstate highways, the single stupidest legislative act since Prohibition. All he accomplished was to make a fortune for CB radio makers, good buddy. And don't forget the whiny Jimmuh, scolding us for the "malaise", and the moonbat symbolism Jimmuh, giving televised addresses telling us to turn down our thermostats while wearing a bulky sweater. How about the preachy, wannabe dictator Jimmuh, with his "mandatory" conversion to the metric system? Jimmuh told us he would kill off inches, miles, and gallons within ten years. I think that is his real legacy. A few kilometer signs went up on highways in moonbat areas, but to this day no one knows or cares what they mean. You can forget about the little embarrassments, like his interview on how he had "lust in my heart" for other women but remained true to Rosalyn, or his interview on the attack by the killer rabbit. You can even forget his stupid decision to boycott the Olympics because the Russians were killing ragheads. But you cannot forget or forgive his monumental incompetence and micromanaging of the military. Proving that an Annapolis graduate can be an absolute military moron, he meddled, minute by minute, in an attempt by an incredibly brave group of Americans heroes to rescue the hostages in Iran. The attempt, with Jimmuh giving directions from 5000 miles away, was catastrophic.

The jug-eared Kenyan may one day be regarded as worse than Jimmuh Carter, but he has a log way to go.