Author Topic: Can you believe there is going ot be a conference in NYC on GLOBAL COOLING??!!!  (Read 25971 times)

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
I bet nobody can guess how the poo flinging primitives will react??

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2895266

BrklynLiberal  (1000+ posts)       Wed Feb-20-08 12:41 PM
Original message
Can you believe there is going ot be a conference in NYC on GLOBAL COOLING??!!!
 Advertisements [?]Global Warming Skeptics Prepare for International Conference
by Cascade Policy Institute Monday, February 11. 2008
Hundreds of the world’s leading “skeptics” of the theory of man-made global warming will meet in New York City March 2-4, 2008 to present their case and discuss the latest scientific, economic and political research on climate change.

The conference is being organized by The Heartland Institute and a growing list of cosponsors, including Cascade Policy Institute, the International Climate Science Coalition, and the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine.

"The purpose of the conference is to provide a platform for the hundreds of scientists, economists, and policy experts who dissent from the so-called ‘consensus’ on global warming,” said Heartland President Joseph Bast.
<snip>

more of this crap at..
http://www.oregoncatalyst.com/index.php?/archives/1176-...

Why do I have this suspicious feeling about the sponsors of this "conference"?
The Heartland Institute, the Cascade Policy Institute and the International Climate Science Coalition as well as the Oregon Institute of Science amnd Medicine...Think it is safe to guess that all the members are probably Repukes...or Repukes who call themselves something else?

Do not.............I repeat do not dicredit and go against Saint Gore

Lars39 (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-20-08 12:43 PM
Response to Original message
1. Enough intelligence and ability to fill and use a snack room.

amborin (351 posts)      Wed Feb-20-08 12:45 PM
2. bogus, pseudo-scientific pretend think tanks
 all of those mentioned are phony, quackery type places

pocoloco  (1000+ posts)     Wed Feb-20-08 12:46 PM
3. Anybody got the dates for the next Flat Earth Society meeting.
 Edited on Wed Feb-20-08 12:48 PM by pocoloco
Maybe I can fit both of them into my schedule.

Hollow Earth
?

islandmkl  (556 posts)      Wed Feb-20-08 12:50 PM
4. they won't have a hard time getting airplay...
 limbo, slannity, o'really, gwen beck, schnitt (what the c and n are for is anybody's guess), bore-tz, rusty humpty, weiner, prager, etc....

these guys can't even relate global warming to cold weather...you know--cold weather disproves global warming...do you ever wonder if these guys even know how an ice cube cools a drink....

texastoast  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-20-08 12:51 PM
5. Is Exxon a big financier of this claptrap? n/t

arcane1  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-20-08 12:52 PM
6. "Repukes who call themselves something else"
 In other words, Repukes who call themselves scientists

krispos42  (1000+ posts)       Wed Feb-20-08 01:00 PM
8. There used to be a big concern about global cooling
 Astronomers measured the Sun's neutrino output and found it to be much lower than the mathematical models showed it should be, meaning that the nuclear fusion was not happening at the rate needed to maintain the Sun's energy output. The possibility existed that the Sun was entering a cooling-off period.

However it turns out that there were different types of neutrinos and the detection equipment was only picking up about 1/3rd of solar neutrinos being produced. Once more sensitive equipment was built, they found the other neutrinos. The total neutrinos matched with the predictions of the models, and that meant the Sun was NOT cooling off, as feared.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_neutrino_problem 

BattyDem  (1000+ posts)      Wed Feb-20-08 01:04 PM
9. I don't understand the skeptics
 Even if they are not 100% convinced, wouldn't it be better to err on the side of caution? Don't they realize that even if they're just the slightest bit wrong, it will mean disaster for our planet? What is the downside of reducing greenhouse gases?

Developing alternative energy sources will create new jobs, reduce pollution and release us from our dependence on foreign oil. We will no longer be forced to bargain with oil-rich countries on their terms. These are all GOOD things!

Note to the skeptics: If you are wrong - just a little bit wrong - you and your family will meet the same fate as the rest of us. You will not be spared. You can't simply relocate - we don't have another planet!

never will they get it....................TNO in 3...2...1.
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
I thought they had agreed to call it "climate change" - that all-encompassing broadstroke that assumes man is in control of nature.....
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
I thought they had agreed to call it "climate change" - that all-encompassing broadstroke that assumes man is in control of nature.....
Teh DUmmies can't even control their own basements.   :rotf:

algore will NOT be amused.   :lmao:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
The Heartland Institute, the Cascade Policy Institute and the International Climate Science Coalition as well as the Oregon Institute of Science amnd Medicine...Think it is safe to guess that all the members are probably Repukes...or Repukes who call themselves something else?

The OISM is a group of crackpots founded by Fred Seitz, a man who was deemed to be "not sufficiently rational" by his employers at the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company...

http://tobaccodocuments.org/pm/2023266534.html?pattern=fred%5Ba-z%5D%2A%5CW%2Bseitz%5Ba-z%5D%2A&#p1
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 01:33:18 PM by The Night Owl »
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
islandmkl  (556 posts)      Wed Feb-20-08 12:50 PM

these guys can't even relate global warming to cold weather...you know--cold weather disproves global warming...do you ever wonder if these guys even know how an ice cube cools a drink....

I'd venture to say this guy would get it wrong as well, and it really doesn't matter as the outcome is the same. Whether or not the ice cube draws heat from the water, or the water warms the ice cube, the f'n ice cube is still going to melt. The physics behind it have no bearing on the topic at hand.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 12:33:02 PM by Rebel »
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline djones520

The OISM is a group of crackpots founded by Fred Seitz, a man who was deemed to be "not sufficiently rational" by his employers at Phillip Morris Companies Inc..

http://tobaccodocuments.org/pm/2023266534.html?pattern=fred%5Ba-z%5D%2A%5CW%2Bseitz%5Ba-z%5D%2A&#p1

Not sure what your talking about TNO.  The OISM was founded by Dr. Arthur Robinson and Bruce Merrifield.  Fred Seitz isn't even a member of their Faculty.

Do you just not like them because their petition against the idea of Man Made Global Warming has been signed by 19,000 scientists, there by threatening your "concensus".

By the way, reading the Bio of some of the faculty of the OISM, I'd say you are doing a HUGE injustice by calling them crack pots.  Quite frankly, this one post of yours has caused me to lose more respect for your thinking faculties then anything else you've done here.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 12:44:49 PM by djones520 »
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est

The OISM is a group of crackpots founded by Fred Seitz, a man who was deemed to be "not sufficiently rational" by his employers at Phillip Morris Companies Inc..

Yeah, anything that disputes the theory of man-made global warming is "crackpot" to moonbats
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Chris_

By the way, reading the Bio of some of the faculty of the OISM, I'd say you are doing a HUGE injustice by calling them crack pots.  Quite frankly, this one post of yours has caused me to lose more respect for your thinking faculties then anything else you've done here.

dj, I'm surprised that you give TNO any credit for his thinking faculties.....they are largely limited to his ability to cut and paste, a simple motor skill....very little thought involved....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
Not sure what your talking about TNO.  The OISM was founded by Dr. Arthur Robinson and Bruce Merrifield.  Fred Seitz isn't even a member of their Faculty.

You're right. Fred Seitz is not the founder of the OISM, but the OISM Global Warming Petition was an OISM project done in collaboration with Seitz and Seitz seems to have headed the project...

http://www.oism.org/pproject/

Do you just not like them because their petition against the idea of Man Made Global Warming has been signed by 19,000 scientists, there by threatening your "concensus".

Some things you should know...

The OISM petition consists of the names of some scientists but mostly of people who work in science-related fields. For instance, when I first heard of the OISM petition, I searched the Internet for one of the names on the petition and found that it belongs to an ophthalmologist. Who gives a shit what an ophthalmologist thinks about global warming? On the subject of global warming, the opinions of those scientists who are actually studying it should be given the most consideration.

Also, the OISM petition was so crudely conducted that a prankster managed to get the name Dr. Geri Halliwell on the list.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 12:58:00 PM by The Night Owl »
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline djones520

Some of those "crack pots"

Professor Kamen was the discoverer of Carbon 14 and the originator of many of the techniques for the use of radioactive tracers in biochemistry and molecular biology. He also carried out extensive research that underlies much of our understanding of the biochemistry of photosynthesis. From 1964 until Professor Kamen's death in 2002, he and Professor Robinson worked together on a variety of collaborative projects.
For his discovery of Carbon 14 and work on radioactive tracers, Professor Kamen received in 1995 the Enrico Fermi award, the highest honor in physics awarded in the United States. His autobiography, Radiant Science, Dark Politics, Martin D. Kamen, University of California Press, Berkeley, 1985 describes the unusual life and accomplishments of this extraordinary scientist.

Professor Merrifield was the originator of solid phase organic chemistry, which now underlies many of the essential techniques in peptide, protein, and DNA chemistry and other fields of biochemistry. He invented and perfected solid-phase peptide synthesis, with which he carried out the first chemical synthesis of an enzyme. In recognition of these accomplishments, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1984.

Professor Fred Westall is an expert in the biochemistry of immunology and autoimmune disease. Educated at the University of California at San Diego, he later served as director of laboratory work for Jonas Salk at the Salk Institute. His research has included definitive elucidation of the peptide and protein structures that stimulate experimental allergic encephalomyelitis, a primary experimental model for study of Multiple Sclerosis and related diseases.

Professor Arthur Robinson carries out laboratory research on the deamidation of peptides and proteins and on the development of new analytical methods for the clinical laboratory. He also works on the development of home schooling techniques and on the public dissemination of information on civil defense. Approximately 60,000 American children use the Robinson home school curriculum, and the Federal Emergency Management Agency has commended and utilized Robinson work on emergency preparedness. Dr. Robinson also edits the newsletter, Access to Energy.
Educated at the California Institute of Technology and the University of California at San Diego, UCSD, Dr. Robinson served as a faculty member of UCSD until co-founding the Linus Pauling Institute of Science and Medicine with Linus Pauling in 1973. Beginning with their initial work together on general anesthesia and the structure of water at Caltech in 1961, Pauling and Robinson carried out published research on a wide variety of topics from nuclear physics to nutrition until 1978. They ceased work together in 1978 because of a disagreement between them on the effects of ascorbic acid on the growth rate of cancer in mice.

Professor Zachary Robinson is a chemist and doctor of veterinary medicine educated at Oregon State University and Iowa State University. In addition to his work in veterinary medicine, Professor Robinson supervises animal work at the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine, which has included extensive studies of the effects of elevated levels of carbon dioxide on the health and longevity of mice.
Zachary Robinson is coauthor of the research review Environmental Effects of Increased Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide by A. B. Robinson, S. L. Baliunas, W. Soon, and Z. W. Robinson (1998) J. Am. Phys. Sur. 3, 171-178 and Environmental Effects of Increased Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide by W. Soon, S. L. Baliunas, A. B. Robinson, and Z. W. Robinson (1999) Climate Research 13, 149-164, which were the most extensively cited articles in the world on this subject during the past nine years.

Yep...  a bunch of raving crack pots right there. :mental:
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
The OISM petition consists of scientists and people who work in science-related fields. For instance, when I first heard of the OISM petition, I searched the Internet for one of the names and found that it belonged to an ophthalmologist. Who gives a shit what an ohpthalmologist thinks about global warming? On the subject of global warming, the opinions of those scientists who are actually studying it should be given the most consideration.

Also, the OISM petition was so crudely conducted that a prankster managed to get the name Dr. Geri Halliwell on the list.

Just out of curiosity, what scientific degree of higher learning does Al Gore hold?

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
Just out of curiosity, what scientific degree of higher learning does Al Gore hold?

My position on global warming is based on what scientists who have studied it are saying, not on what activists are saying.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
By the way, as for the people that support GW as man made, I've seen that list as well and there are a shitload of Sociologists, etc. Talk about supporters with degrees in a non-related field.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator

My position on global warming is based on what scientists who have studied it are saying, not on what activists are saying.

...and you discount the opposing scientists who don't buy it. Clearly your agenda is more important than the truth.

Offline djones520

You're right. Fred Seitz is not the founder of the OISM, but the OISM Global Warming Petition was an OISM project done in collaboration with Seitz and Seitz seems to have headed the project...

Some things you should know...

The OISM petition consists of the names of some scientists but mostly of people who work in science-related fields. For instance, when I first heard of the OISM petition, I searched the Internet for one of the names on the petition and found that it belongs to an ophthalmologist. Who gives a shit what an ophthalmologist thinks about global warming? On the subject of global warming, the opinions of those scientists who are actually studying it should be given the most consideration.

http://www.oism.org/pproject/GWPetition.pdf

Signatories to the petition are required to have formal training or
specialized experience in the analysis of information in physical science. This includes many of
those with BS, MS, or PhD degrees in science, engineering, and related disciplines.

Having a Phd in Opthamology doesn't preclude one from having a degree in another field of study.

Offline Chris_

Yep...  a bunch of raving crack pots right there. :mental:

You're wasting your time....to TNO anyone that disagrees with the "consensus" on AGW MUST be a crackpot.....liberal playbook 102....if you can't refute the premise, you MUST attack the messengers.....

TNO is now busily attempting to find out how many DWI's these scientists might have on record, so that he can cut and paste more links.....

doc

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps

Except for scientists who disagree with the theory. Those ones are "crackpots" to you.
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline djones520

TNO, are you going to withdraw your statement about calling the faculty of OISM crackpots?

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
TNO, are you going to withdraw your statement about calling the faculty of OISM crackpots?

Of course not. Any group which associates itself with the not sufficiently rational Fred Seitz is a bunch of crackpots.

Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Chris_

Don't hold your breath.....

You're messin with his "religion" doncha know.....

doc

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps

Of course not. I'm a crazy moonbat

Fixed

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!

Of course not. Any group which associates itself with the not sufficiently rational Fred Seitz is a bunch of crackpots.

This from a guy who thinks Al Gore is perfectly rational.

Thanks--and you owe me a new monitor.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline djones520

I think you've just done more to make yourself look like an idiot then I'll ever be able to do.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator

This from a guy who thinks Al Gore is perfectly rational.

Thanks--and you owe me a new monitor.

:lmao:

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
I don't know why you guys are putting trust in Fred Seitz and the OISM. According to the OISM website, the study which was used as the basis for the OISM petition on global warming has been peer reviewed, but the study has never been published in a peer reviewed science journal...

Environmental Effects of Increased Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide

A review of the research literature concerning the environmental consequences of increased levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide leads to the conclusion that increases during the 20th Century have produced no deleterious effects upon global weather, climate, or temperature. Increased carbon dioxide has, however, markedly increased plant growth rates. Predictions of harmful climatic effects due to future increases in minor greenhouse gases like CO2 are in error and do not conform to current experimental knowledge.

Click here to see this peer reviewed research paper.

Note: The Petition Project has no funding from energy industries or other parties with special financial interests in the "global warming" debate. Funding for the project comes entirely from private non-tax deductible donations by interested individuals.

So, which scientific journal has published the study on the OISM webpage? None have.

Why trust liars?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 01:14:06 PM by The Night Owl »
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas