Author Topic: Is the supreme court basically gone now?  (Read 11910 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Is the supreme court basically gone now?
« on: August 20, 2019, 07:55:46 PM »
Star Member leftyladyfrommo (12,259 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212393897

Has it simply become a right wing political machine?

And how do we get around that?

:thatsright:

Star Member TreasonousBastard (32,642 posts)

1. Time heals all wounds. We've been here before...

and FDR even tried to pack the court to get the New Deal passed.

If we take the WH and Senate next year, we could try expanding the Court, too. And we might even be successful.

you should make that a point in your party platform...

Amishman (1,737 posts)

13. I don't think packing the court would go over well with the voters

It will appear to be a partizan power grab,and that will have severe repercussions.

Even now, the supreme Court has a 51% approval rating,far higher than any other branch of government.

well, that's because it would be a partizan power grab...

Joe941 (1,740 posts)

16. Many things aren't popular at the time...

but the public then warms up to the decision. Take the ACA for example. It really wasn't very popular at the time we pushed it through. But today it has pretty good public support. I think this case would be similar.

DU translation: **** the public. We'll tell them what they like.

Joe941 (1,740 posts)

17. I think we need to expand by 2 seats.

We can't have an even number of judges which would produce some deadlocks. That would be bad.

::)

pecosbob (3,528 posts)

7. If we can hold the House, capture the Presidency and get a split in the Senate

we can make D.C. and Puerto Rico States and get four shiny new U.S. Senators, likely liberal and likely of color. This will give us the power to create new judges. Then we begin to impeach the most egregious cases of people that should not be on the bench where they're usually most vulnerable...conflicts of interest and corruption. I'd probably start with the Kennedy retirement-payoff just to clear up old dirty laundry.

can you say PURGE!?

:whatever:

Yeehah (173 posts)

10. More should have been done when the traitorous republican Senate refused to vote on Garland

Republicans / McConnel refused to obey the Constitution and there should have been Democratic revolt and people in the streets.

explain to me how they did that again?

PoliticAverse (20,817 posts)

20. The constitution doesn't require the Senate to hold confirmation hearings...or take a vote on any nominee. It simply requires "advice and consent of the Senate," for an appointment to take place.

:???:

Yeehah (173 posts)

24. Well, here is how that "advice and consent" thing works...

Typically, a congressional hearing is held to question an appointee prior to a committee vote. If the nominee is approved by the relevant committee, the nomination is sent to the full Senate for a confirmation vote. The actual motion adopted by the Senate when exercising the power is "to advise and consent". For appointments, a majority of Senators present are needed to pass a motion "to advise and consent". A filibuster requiring a three-fifths vote to override, as well as other similar delaying tactics, have been used to require higher vote tallies in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advice_and_consent#United_States

The Senate refused to perform its implied constitutional duty to "advise & consent" to President Obama's nominee, and there should have been hell to pay, but somehow, it happened with barely a whimper from our Democratic "leadership."

:yawn:

Star Member DavidDvorkin (16,888 posts)

12. Increase the number of justices

If we have both houses of Congress and the presidency, we have to do that (or at least try to) right away in January 2021. That would solve the problem.

Star Member ellie (6,349 posts)

14. For now

Those right wing wackos aren't going to live forever, especially the drunk rapey one. His name escapes me.

:mental:

21. We need a better way.

We need half the justices to be more liberal and half more conservative and someone really to work as tie breaker.

The court should reflect the population. Right now it doesn't. The right wing just rubber stamps the political party.

Expanding the court might backfire. The right wing could just put in more right wingers and make the situation even worse.

standingtall (2,206 posts)

23. Congress not only has the authority to ad seats to the supreme court, but also has the authority

to incorporate territories as States. Each states gets 2 Senators there are about 5 or 6 inhabited U.S. territories and if they were States they would probably vote Democratic. So if every U.S. territory were a State that would give us about 10 to 12 new Democratic Senators which would allows us to control the Senate and the Supreme Court for a long time.

We need to engage in procedural warfare once we get back the Presidency,house and senate for the good of the future the country and the Democratic party. Once we have unified government we should ad seats to the supreme court and ad as many states as we can from the territories in the 1st term of the next Democratic President. If republicans were in our position they would go ahead and do it and wouldn't even consider it backfiring. Even if we were to lose the election after adding to the supreme court and and adding states it would still benefit us in the long run.

:cheersmate:

doc03 (21,993 posts)

28. If we get the presidency and the Senate we should get rid of the one they stole from us.

:thatsright:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Is the supreme court basically gone now?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 09:25:58 PM »
Whose grave will the DUmmies want to piss on the most?  And they're all the same is not an answer.

Dick Cheney
George W. Bush
Clarence Thomas
Donald Trump

I'd be willing to wager it would be Justice Thomas.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline SVPete

Re: Is the supreme court basically gone now?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 08:52:09 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212393897

Yes! It's no longer a tool for jamming down the American people's throat what Dems, Libs, and Progs can't ram through Congress and the White House!

I wish. But to some degree it has become an obstacle to Dem-Lib-Prog tyranny, and if RBG dies while Trump is President, could become even more so.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.