Author Topic: Frank's Favorite Woman Featured at NewsBusters (NOT Hillary)  (Read 13340 times)

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

Re: Frank's Favorite Woman Featured at NewsBusters (NOT Hillary)
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2015, 06:59:07 AM »
According to the article, one of the women being legitimately considered for the $20 bill campaign was Margaret Sanger.
Once I got over my initial bout of nausea at that idea, I realized how hypocritical it would be for her to be even considered on such a list, considering what a blatant racist and eugenicist she was.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2015, 12:39:58 PM »
Okay, ownership and management got an e-mail from a lurker, telling us how much he liked this thread, so I'll carry on, for at least a bit, about women who did a Hell of a lot more for women in particular and humanity in general, than the bra-burners' "celebrities."

First femme U.S. Senator from Alabama, and the first one who wasn't a spinster or a widow when she served--way long before the screeching she-women feminists came into being.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2015, 12:45:53 PM »

The first femme governor of Texas, a really long time ago.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2015, 12:48:38 PM »

The first femme U.S. Senator from South Dakota, back when Eleanor had been in the White House a few years.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2015, 12:52:41 PM »

The second woman U.S. Senator from South Dakota, like her predecessor above, an (R).

Bess was in the White House when she served.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2015, 12:56:50 PM »

The first woman U.S. Senator from Florida, an (R) again.

What is about Republicans, red states, and so many "backward" southern states, that they've been choosing women office-holders for the longest time?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2015, 01:00:53 PM »

The first woman ever to serve in Congress, in the House of Representatives.

Back before women even had the vote.

A REPUBLICAN from Montana.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2015, 01:08:49 PM »
By the way.....

I dunno if he was the first Native American U.S. Senator, and whether he was from Chicago or from Kansas--remember, I'm going off the top of my head, not wasting time nadining--but I do know he was the first Native American vice-president, and probably the only one thus far.

Vice-president under either Calvin Coolidge or Herbert Hoover; I forget which one.

REPUBLICAN.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2015, 01:14:34 PM »
One more man, and then later I'll come back with more women who made America a better place to be, who're overlooked by the women's-libbers.

The first U.S. Senator of Oriental derivation, from Hawaii.

REPUBLICAN
apres moi, le deluge

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2015, 06:50:01 PM »
I don't see why options should be limited to elected women...

Phyllis Schlafly, the female William F. Buckley.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2015, 08:57:34 PM »
I don't see why options should be limited to elected women...

It's not; anyone can add his or her own choices, and one can't deny the great influence conservative and Republican women in the arts and sciences have had, on making America a better place--much more of an effect than most of these penny-ante choices of the women's-libbers.

I myself am not posting choices in any organized way; just pulling them out of my head, and they seem to be mostly women politicians, although the writer Eudora Welty, the historians Barbara Tuchmann and Doris Kearns Goodwin, the educator Julia Richman, and the red social worker Ruth Pastor Stokes were presented earlier but not identified. along with the already-identified Mari Sandoz.

Again, they had a more significant impact upon America, and were more of an expression of woman-ness, than most of the bra-burners' choices.

The other deal is, what randomly pops into mind about these other sorts of women is that the ones I think of, tend to not be American.  Such as Golda Meir, undeniably the most remarkable woman of the 20th century, period; or Rebecca West, surely the most cerebral femme writer of the 20th century; or Alice Montagu-Douglas-Scott, certainly the classiest woman of the 20th century.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2015, 09:26:18 PM »
Of course, my own choices are the choices of a man who might, or might not, see remarkableness in women the same way as women do.

There's a whole long queque of photographs of remarkable women I've thought of, waiting to be posted, but a brief overview would be my personal top three choices:

^^^the perfect woman, although of course more intellectually than in appearance

^^^a selfish sentimental choice; although from Maine, she was prominently featured in newspaper stories out here in Nebraska when I was a child and adolescent, and although she was too liberal for Nebraska tastes, she was popular.

She, by the way, was the first woman ever, to win a presidential primary of a major political party (Illinois, 1964).

She was also the first woman ever, to have her name placed in nomination at a major political party national convention (Republican, 1964).

Democrats, liberals, primitives, and bra-burners can shove that up their rectal apertures and smoke it; when it comes to women, Republicans, conservatives, and the pre-1960 Old South (those of course tended to be Democrats), have always been on the cutting edge of recognizing and rewarding remarkable women.

^^^and there's this, strictly a carnal choice--although of course she's more than, much more than, just simply eye-candy.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2015, 09:57:44 PM »
Democrats, liberals, primitives, and bra-burners can shove that up their rectal apertures and smoke it; when it comes to women, Republicans, conservatives, and the pre-1960 Old South (those of course tended to be Democrats), have always been on the cutting edge of recognizing and rewarding remarkable women.

When franksolich was a kid, there was one woman in the U.S. Senate, one black, and one guy of Chinese derivation.

This was 1967-1973.

All three of them were.....Republicans.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2015, 12:29:02 AM »
You know, it always pissed me off, the way the media, and hence the popular public perception, gives the idea that women in politics are a reasonably new phenomenon, and a Democrat one.

Since I don't do a whole lot of television--geezuz, maybe six hours a year--I tend to remember things I see on it.

Election night 1992, I watched as the smug smirking Dan Rather pronounced 1992 as "the year of the woman," given the Democrat femme candidates who were running, as if women had suddenly sprung into national politics.

I wrote him, pointing out that the preceding election, the mid-term election of 1990, there'd been more Republican women running for high office, than there'd ever been in history, and considerably more than Democrat women running, in both 1990 and 1992, this "year of the woman."

The rectal aperture of course didn't reply, but I hadn't expected him to.

Congresswoman Florence Kahn of California, the first congresswoman, ever, of Judaic derivation.  Republican.

Suck on it, primitives and bra-burners.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2015, 12:32:11 AM »
Women elected to high offices, like blacks only count if they are democrats.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2015, 12:57:03 AM »

Winnifred Stanley of New York, a congresswoman during the Truman regime.

An attorney.

This Republican introduced the first ever "equal pay" or "equal rights" legislation--I forget which.  Of course, with the Democrats running Congress at the time, and not really interested in equality, her bill got nowhere.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2015, 01:23:42 AM »

Katherine Langley, a Republican congresswoman from Kentucky, during the late 1920s.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2015, 01:36:14 AM »
The women's-libbers wouldn't like this one.

Alice Mary Robertson, the second woman to serve in the House of Representatives, during the early 1920s.

The first congresswoman or senatress to win election by defeating an incumbent.

A Republican from Oklahoma, she was stridently anti-feminist, and vigorously pro-Native American.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2015, 06:50:21 AM »
Now, we all know looks don't count, and this one while having contributed a great deal for the good of mankind, didn't contribute quite as much as some other women here.

But this is what I call the height of aesthetics, the way she's oozing grace and class and elegance out of every pore.

So I wasn't the only one who admired her looks back in the day.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2015, 08:19:25 AM »
So I wasn't the only one who admired her looks back in the day.

Even the name, "Margaret Tutwiler," reeks of class and elegance, suggestive of a good women's college, autumn weekends in rustic Connecticut, "woody" station wagons, croquet, horses, Sunday lunch with Clare Boothe Luce, &c., &c., &c.

But as mentioned earlier, looks aren't everything.

I used to gaze at her, utterly enchanted, whenever she was on television.  But being deaf, I didn't hear what she was saying, as spokeswoman for the State Department during the War for the Liberation of Kuwait in 1990-1991--all I could do was admire, and read her body-language, which was that of a confident honest plain-speaking woman.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2015, 08:31:47 AM »
I'm trying to "diversify," going into women who through assertion of their woman-ness, made America a better place, for both women and men.  I'll wander away from politicians sooner or later, but I still got a lot of Republican femme office-holders to post yet.

Beginning with the one after this one, I'll start mixing them up, politicians and non-politicians, although I'm having no luck, no luck at all, finding images of Meta Givens and Martha Bohlsen, conservative-leaning women who in their own time vastly impacted the culinary arts.

We all have to eat, and so dining's pretty damned important, more important than access to abortion profiteers.  If we don't eat, we don't live, and both Meta Givens and Martha Bohlsen had a significant influence on what, and how, Americans ate.

- - - - - - - - - -

Irene Baker of Tennessee, a Republican congresswoman who first won election during a really bad year, a really lousy year, a really crummy year, for Republicans nationally, in 1964.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2015, 09:58:51 AM »

The Barry Goldwater-supporting journalist, Hedda Hopper, who in her day was much bigger than the radicalib Gloria Steinem or Maureen Dowd are today; coming from a poor dirt-farming background, she ultimately exercised a great deal of influence upon American opinion and tastes.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2015, 10:07:07 AM »
The third woman to serve in the House, during the administration of Warren Harding, after the already-mentioned Jeanette Rankin (R) and the old battle-axe from Oklahoma (R).

Winnifred Huck, Republican from Illinois.  During her tenure, she was joined by another femme--but in the U.S. Senate--the first female senator ever, the already-mentioned Rebecca Felton of Georgia.

With two women now in Congress, femme office-holders were on their way up.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2015, 10:19:54 AM »
And here we come across what's thin ice for franksolich; celebrities in the cinema, in the theater, in music, on television.

Once when I was in college, it was suggested I try out for the television show Jeopardy because according to some people, franksolich knew a lot of things.

I desisted however, because I could win "history" and "geography" and "politics" and "great writers" and "economics" and "cuisine" and "travel" and somesuch similar topics with one hand tied behind my back, there were certain other categories in which I'd abysmally flunk.

Because I'm deaf, I'm woefully ignorant of topics such as "Hollywood" or "famous stars" or "television celebrities"--I always get Roseanne McDonnell and Rosie Barr mixed up, for example, as they look too much alike--or "movies" or "music" and somesuch.

But I recall at the time, this woman exercised a great deal of influence in music, although I had no idea of her political leanings.  So many people talked about her that she must've been very effective in her art.

Sarah Caldwell, famous symphony conductress.  I dunno if she's alive or dead any more, though.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2015, 10:27:06 AM »

Edith Nourse Rogers, Republican congresswoman from Massachusetts, in Congress during the mid-section of the 20th century.

She was the woman who served the longest time in Congress--both House and Senate--until that old cow (D) from Maryland recently surpassed her.

apres moi, le deluge