Author Topic: $20 million in loans to felons - by Illinois Democrat U.S. Senate Candidate  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
The family bank of Democratic Senate candidate Alexi Giannoulias loaned a pair of Chicago crime figures about $20 million during a 14-month period when Giannoulias was a senior loan officer, according to a Tribune examination that provides new details about the bank's relationship with the convicted felons.

Broadway Bank had already lent millions to Michael Giorango when he and a new business partner, Demitri Stavropoulos, came to the bank in mid-2004. Although both men were preparing to serve federal prison terms, the bank embarked on a series of loans to them.

Alexi Giannoulias took a senior position at the bank at about the same time and used it as a launching pad for his political career. But as he campaigns to step up from state treasurer to the U.S. Senate, he has tried to distance himself from the bank's business with the pair and has been reluctant to detail his role.

Broadway is now suing to recover millions of the pair's delinquent loans as the bank struggles to avoid a federal takeover. While Broadway lawyers now criticize Giorango's business practices, the newspaper's examination of court files, land records and public bank documents raises questions about the bank's decisions to make loans to men with criminal histories.

"Banks are not supposed to be doing business with criminals," said banking consultant and former Texas Banking Commissioner Catherine Ghiglieri. "The onus is on the bank to make sure they know who they are dealing with."

Public records do not show which bank officials negotiated or approved any of the loans. Giannoulias declined to be interviewed by the Tribune or to review public records outlining the bank's loans.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/elections/ct-met-giannoulias-bank-loans-20100401,0,5574130.story
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:11:07 AM by Ralph Wiggum »
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
This is shaping up to be a very interesting story with his ties to Obama and Rezko.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Is that the same state where the Lt Gov candidate, who replaced the last one, is part of a Catholic bashing band??

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator

Offline Ralph Wiggum

Report: Feds Could Take Over Giannoulias Bank Friday

Chicago - Reports Friday indicate federal regulators will take over the bank run by the family of U.S. Senate Candidate Alexi Giannoulias.

The Chicago Sun-Times reports the Broadway Bank has entered in to a consent decree with the government to have another financial institution take over the bank.

A decision to have the government take over the bank could come Friday, although Broadway has until Monday to show it can find the money it needs to stay afloat.

Broadway has run into financial problems because of bad commercial and home mortgage loans.

The bank's troubles have become an issue in the race for the senate because Giannoulias served as a senior loan officer there, but he says 90 percent of the bad loans were made after he left the bank.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Brothers gotta hug!

After his speech in Quincy this afternoon, President Obama gave Senate candidate Alexi Giannoulias just what reporters said he needed -- a presidential hug.

If you're curious, it was a double back-pat bro hug. See the video here.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/Obama-Giannoulias-is-Next-Senator-92351224.html#ixzz0mX4pnnmH
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Ralph Wiggum

The TOTUS must not have been around, because he mispronounced Giannoulias' name. :evillaugh:

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
"That's not the Giannoulias I knew..."  --TOTUS
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford