Author Topic: Silent Majority  (Read 1063 times)

Offline jendf

Silent Majority
« on: November 10, 2008, 11:15:54 AM »
I admit I'm not that well-versed in politics in general. I know how I feel and such, but understanding the intricacies of politics is not my forte.

I've always heard that there is this "Silent Majority". They are a conservative, God-fearing group who come out to vote when their values are being challenged. Or at least that was my understanding of the term.

I've only been voting since 1996 but even I could see how important it was to keep this radical Marxist out of office.

Where was this supposed "Silent Majority" on 11/4? I kept telling people prior to the election that there is no way that this country would elect this man. We are smarter than that, I said.

I was clearly wrong. So I have to ask...Are we really a majority anymore? Was there ever really a "Silent Majority"? If there is, why the HELL didn't they show up to vote against this man?

I'm kind of ranting here. I was doing okay last week and but I'm downright despondent today.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Silent Majority
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 11:25:05 AM »
I believe the term "Silent Majority" came about in the late Sixties in response to the liberal hippie movement that characterized that decade.

I'm not sure the term "Silent Majority" can be used to describe "conservatives" any more - perhaps Independent or Swing voters, who enjoy a bigger slice of the pie these days.

Obama seemed to resonate with these people not so much that he has a viable message, but simply because the recent economic meltdown was laid right on the current administration's doorstep - unfairly, I might add.

The concept "throw the bums out" very much characterized this election, IMHO.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline jendf

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 11:35:50 AM »
I believe the term "Silent Majority" came about in the late Sixties in response to the liberal hippie movement that characterized that decade.

I'm not sure the term "Silent Majority" can be used to describe "conservatives" any more - perhaps Independent or Swing voters, who enjoy a bigger slice of the pie these days.

Obama seemed to resonate with these people not so much that he has a viable message, but simply because the recent economic meltdown was laid right on the current administration's doorstep - unfairly, I might add.

The concept "throw the bums out" very much characterized this election, IMHO.

So if the "Silent Majority"--the independents and swing votes came out and voted for Obama, then I guess we, the conservatives, would be a minority now?

I'm not putting you on the spot, Eupher. I'm just rolling ideas around, trying to come to terms in my own mind how we as a nation have sunk so low.

I'm just sad.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 12:01:03 PM »
Sounds like you might need to look at some data.

Here is some demographic data from the Bureau of the Census. It's from the 2004 election and while there are more recent data from 2006, 2006 wasn't a presidential election like this one. Anyway, I encourage you to take a look at this demographic data first:

I Lub My Gummint

Just a quick Google turned up this series of comments addressing the questions you have. Since the entire issue of "who is liberal, who is conservative, and who are the swing voters?" is a complex one, there are likely dozens of answers. You're bringing up some great questions, though, and you might want to explore on your own to find the answers you're looking for.

Some Answers

Don't slit your wrists just yet, jendf! There is always the next election!

Historically, the sitting prez tends to lose some support in the House during the mid-term elections (2010). And since Dear Leader doesn't have a Supermajority (needs 60 Dem Senators for that, which didn't happen), he will have a tougher fight to enact his "visions" than perhaps he bargained for.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 12:09:35 PM »
Jen, the McCain campaign did a monumentally horrible job of communicating that Obama would be a threat to those values in any sense but a rather lofty economic one, true to the inability of McCain or his primary advisors to conceive of conservatism as anything more than fiscal conservatism and a bunch of hillbillies who can be scared into voting for them by saying 'Communism.'  At the same time, the press was laying it on as thick as humanly possible about what a wonderful 'Values' story Obama was, and not without effect.

There is a majority who will come out when they feel their values are threatened, as witness Prop 8 in California, but the GOP failed utterly to make that case against Obama in 2008. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline jendf

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 01:35:40 PM »
Sounds like you might need to look at some data.

Here is some demographic data from the Bureau of the Census. It's from the 2004 election and while there are more recent data from 2006, 2006 wasn't a presidential election like this one. Anyway, I encourage you to take a look at this demographic data first:

I Lub My Gummint

Just a quick Google turned up this series of comments addressing the questions you have. Since the entire issue of "who is liberal, who is conservative, and who are the swing voters?" is a complex one, there are likely dozens of answers. You're bringing up some great questions, though, and you might want to explore on your own to find the answers you're looking for.

Some Answers

Don't slit your wrists just yet, jendf! There is always the next election!

Historically, the sitting prez tends to lose some support in the House during the mid-term elections (2010). And since Dear Leader doesn't have a Supermajority (needs 60 Dem Senators for that, which didn't happen), he will have a tougher fight to enact his "visions" than perhaps he bargained for.

I will definitely look at these when I have a chance. Thanks.