Author Topic: Oh for the love of Pete!  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Oh for the love of Pete!
« on: August 10, 2008, 12:09:13 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3770246

TwixVoy  Donating Member  (249 posts)

Sun Aug-10-08 11:40 AM
Original message

I am pissed (discrimination at work)

My self and another manager in an equal position sat down with a high level manager to discuss review scores. (basically the boss of our boss) Review scores that decide a persons annual performance rating and raise.

The whole thing was going somewhat normal. She was a little pushy about some things, but overall normal.

So then we get to discussing the performance of one of our employees who has a mental disability. She is a very old cashier and has trouble always figuring out the correct change, gets confused extremely easily, things like that.

So she starts saying we should mark her overall review score down because of that. I tell her that "We can't really mark her down because of her mental disability" and then she responds to me "Because it effects her job yes we can and we will" and she wrote down a lower overall review score for her.

A little while after we got out of the meeting I got with my peer that was in it with me about what was said. She agreed with me that it was wrong, but wasn't willing to do anything about it. I spent 45 minutes with her trying to convince her that we report this to corporate, and that I needed her to be willing to confirm what was said otherwise it was my word against someone elses. All it came down to was she was worried we'd be retaliated against and be fired and wouldn't even consider it.

I am so pissed. I am also pissed because this upper level manager is seen publicly as being OH SO CONCERNED about volunteering in the community to help people who are less fortunate.

I feel sickened today.

:thatsright:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: Oh for the love of Pete!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 12:26:41 PM »
I could make a fortune as a male model if it wasn`t for the way I looked dammit. :censored:

Who do I sue?

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 12:32:24 PM »
Why is a mentally disabled person in charge of handling money? If she's "old" and suffering from dementia or really has diminshed mental capacity, she should have never been put in charge of running a register. That's just bad business. There are plenty of other jobs for a person like her.

Of course, all dummies lie all of the time so.....

I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 12:33:49 PM »
I could make a fortune as a male model if it wasn`t for the way I looked dammit. :censored:

Who do I sue?

Call John Edwards, he'll find somebody for you to sue.

or screw.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 12:44:07 PM »
Spent 45 minutes trying to convince someone that a mentally challenged person should be handling the till?

Who's the mentally challenged one?

Welcome to the Obama Administration, by the way. If (sorry, when) the Anointed One wins, the mentally challenged person will be promoted from passing out change to the CFO position. It's only FAIR, after all.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 12:47:29 PM »
Frankly, the DUmmie SHOULD have spent about 15 minutes trying to discuss with the bosses how to get that person into a position they're better equipped to handle.

While she was at it, she might want to start looking herself.  While persistence might be looked upon favorably by management, obsession isn't.  Finally, I don't know of a single serious mid-level or higher manager who would have dwelled on this subject for more than 5 minutes.  Time management for DUmmies?  Nah, can't be....
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 12:50:41 PM »
Why the hell does OMC stay over there?!  If he chooses to be a democrat so be it but to hang around with those loons?  What's the point?

OMC, I would really like for you to come over here and explain to us why you choose to hang with such losers.  Really.

OPERATIONMINDCRIME  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sun Aug-10-08 12:18 PM
Response to Original message
11. I Fail To See How This Is Discriminatory Whatsoever.

"She is a very old cashier and has trouble always figuring out the correct change, gets confused extremely easily"

Mental handicap or not, I wouldn't think that would warrant a glowing review. Now granted, they have the option of moving her to a different position, but from what you describe she may very well have trouble in a different position as well. Her being mentally handicapped doesn't give her automatic standing to get a good raise and good review. Let's be real here.

Discrimination would be if they fired her or didn't hire her based on her handicap, though she was capable of doing the job. That isn't the case here. They were generous enough to hire her and keep her employed, even though it appears that she CAN'T do the job. Now you expect them to give her a glowing review on top of that? You're being quite unreasonable here. The bosses decision was perfectly fine, nondiscriminatory, and not really worthy of vitriolic retribution. Sorry.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 12:51:58 PM »
wow. I do wonder how OMC is able to stay on DU.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 12:55:10 PM »
wow. I do wonder how OMC is able to stay on DU.

There is another OMC type there I've been noticing, but I will not mention their handle lest they get the Stone.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.