Author Topic: Internet exposes travelingtypist as a felonious bitch- and others  (Read 982 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x990627

Liberal_in_LA Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Fri Apr-29-11 08:22 PM
Original message
Internet making it harder for people (65 million plus Americans!) to leave criminal past behind

Edited on Fri Apr-29-11 08:28 PM by Liberal_in_LA
Internet Lets a Criminal Past Catch Up Quicker

By ERICA GOODE

The eight months she spent in prison, she said, were “the best thing that ever happened to me,” persuading her to pursue training in medical administration and complete coursework for a degree in psychology at the University of California, Berkeley. At 38, she is a far different person from the confused young woman who strayed into crime, she says.

But employers, initially impressed by her credentials, grow leery when they learn her history through criminal background checks. She has been turned down for more than a dozen jobs since finishing college in 2010.

The pool of Americans seeking jobs includes more people with criminal histories than ever before, a legacy in part of stiffer sentencing and increased enforcement for nonviolent crimes like drug offenses, criminal justice experts said. And each year, more than 700,000 people are released from state and federal prisons, a total that is expected to grow as states try to reduce the fiscal burden of their overcrowded penal institutions.

Almost 65 million Americans have some type of criminal record, either for an arrest or a conviction, according to a recent report by the National Employment Law Project, whose policy co-director, Maurice Emsellem, says that the figure is probably an underestimate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/29/us/29records.html?ref...

I'm going to deviate from this topic to point out travelingtypist and what a bitch she is.

travelingtypist Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Fri Apr-29-11 09:55 PM
Response to Original message
8. Convicted felon with a bachelors degree here.

I work from home as a transcriptionist -- contractor, no benefits -- because NONE of my clients EVER ask the question "have you ever been convicted of a felony?" EVER.

It's the one "legal" form of discrimination left and employers use it mightily.

SDuderstadt Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sat Apr-30-11 04:31 PM
Response to Reply #8
11. Why are you a...

convicted felon?

Fair question.

travelingtypist Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun May-01-11 12:13 AM
Response to Reply #11
15. If you'd done a little bit of research, you'd see I've already disclosed this.

Her confession.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=105x8824935

Still in original OP

SDuderstadt Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun May-01-11 12:16 AM
Response to Reply #15
16. You shot your brother because...

Edited on Sun May-01-11 12:17 AM by SDuderstadt
you wanted him to get out of your car?

In my opinion, you deserve that felony conviction.

P.S. The "research bit" is bullshit.

travelingtypist Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun May-01-11 12:21 AM
Response to Reply #16
17. What's with the attitude?

Edited on Sun May-01-11 12:22 AM by travelingtypist
I didn't do anything to deserve it.

I don't feel the need to explain myself other than what I've already said. It's a very painful period in my life that I generally don't discuss with strangers except for in that situation for a specific purpose. I never said that the court didn't treat me fairly, so what I "deserved" is a cheap ****ing shot, thank you very much.

PS: I don't know you. I owe you nothing. Get over it.

SDuderstadt Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun May-01-11 12:26 AM
Response to Reply #17
18. "if you'd done a little bit of research"...

Like I said before, you deserve that felony conviction.

travelingtypist Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun May-01-11 02:24 AM
Response to Reply #11
19. "Fair question"?

Are you ****ing kidding me? With all of the bullshit you spouted in judging me?

SDuderstadt Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun May-01-11 06:57 AM
Response to Reply #19
20. It's not like you took the fall for someone else or...

you were a victim of circumstance.

You shot your brother because you wanted him to get out of your car. I don't believe you're going to find a lot if understanding or empathy. Sorry.

More of this back and forth at link.

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
What a bitch.

Brother should have shot her.  The world would be a better place.
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

I expect the woman in the OP is having problems more for what kind of crime her conviction was for, rather than just the bare fact of conviction.  For a female felon, the odds are extremely high that it was either a sale/distribution drug offense, or some form of identity theft/economic fraud.  Either way, someone hiring a medical records tech would be nuts to take her on board.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Tucker

I expect the woman in the OP is having problems more for what kind of crime her conviction was for, rather than just the bare fact of conviction.  For a female felon, the odds are extremely high that it was either a sale/distribution drug offense, or some form of identity theft/economic fraud.  Either way, someone hiring a medical records tech would be nuts to take her on board.

In the second DU link she explains what happened. She intentionally shot her brother.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

In the second DU link she explains what happened. She intentionally shot her brother.

No, that's travelingtypist, not the woman the article was about in the OP.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator

Talk about one great mind, and franksolich's mind, thinking alike, sir.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
All of SD's posts were removed.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Tucker

All of SD's posts were removed.

I got most of it. There were only 4 or 5 more exchanges. The deleted posts were more of the same without anything enlightening.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Hmmmm...maybe that's why the military, certain employers, etc., don't want felons either.  Demonstrated reliability--it's not just a cute phrase.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Tucker

I thought I'd better grab the confessional OP from the second link before it goes poof!!

travelingtypist Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Fri Jun-05-09 01:05 PM
Original message
When I was 24, I shot my brother.

He was 23. The bullet hit in the back of his neck. I was three feet away from him. I wanted him to get out of my car. I had just graduated college, so had he, he was getting married in two days. I had driven from Oregon to Oklahoma. My grandpa had given me the .22 pistol for protection since I was traveling alone.

I had no priors, honorably discharged from the Army, just graduated college. They didn't want to spend their state's money on me in their prison system. They gave me five-years probation and sent me back to Oregon to be Oregon's problem.

But I'm a convicted felon and have been for 20 years. (This all happened back in May 1989.)

I only bring this up because of the tragedy of the 21-year-old kid who shook his kid to death and people calling it a murder and him a murderer. Yeah, they told me I was guilty of attempted murder when all I wanted was for my son-of-a-bitch brother to get the **** out of my car so I could leave and not be abused by him anymore.

This guy killed his kid. And he has to look in the mirror every day and be reminded what he did. If he's any sort of human being, he's ripped to shreds and yeah, his life is over.

My brother never forgave me for what I did. The state will take care of this father's punishment. I just hope somebody in this father's life is giving him a chance to ask for that forgiveness and be granted at least that.

That is all. I'll shut up now.

Link posted again for convenience.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=105x8824935

Offline NHSparky

Re: Internet exposes travelingtypist as a felonious bitch- and others
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 09:28:34 AM »
I guess calling the police just wasn't an option in that situation, DUmmies?

Hey, I'm all for use of deadly force, but one little phrase sticks in my mind when reciting the definition (still from memory, over 25 years after I learned the definition in the military):

"WHEN ALL LESSER MEANS HAVE BEEN FAILED OR CANNOT REASONABLY BE EMPLOYED."

IOW, DUmmies, she shot her brother because she's either 1--psycho, 2--was tanked, 3--both 1 and 2.  Actions have consequences--who the **** knew?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 09:31:38 AM »
travelingtypist (1000+ posts)  ...

It's the one "legal" form of discrimination left and employers use it mightily.

Yeah, if it's one thing employers look for is any excuse to not hire qualified help.

That whole "I can't hire an identity theft convict to handle patient records" and "let drug addicts near a prescription pad?" are just such flimsy dodges.

I thought I'd better grab the confessional OP from the second link before it goes poof!!

No word on how badly her brother was/was not hurt.

No word on if he recovered.

No word about what constituted the "abuse" that merited lethal defense.

No sense of contrition beyond the fact that it was personally inconvenient.

yep, she's a liberal
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline thundley4

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 09:48:12 AM »
When I was 24, I shot my brother.

I had no priors, honorably discharged from the Army, just graduated college.

Two years in the army or two years at a community college?  Does her time line sound fishy?

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 10:14:57 AM »
Two years in the army or two years at a community college?  Does her time line sound fishy?

Good catch.  I didn't even think there were 2-year enlistments back in the mid-80's.  There were briefly in the mid-70's and like for a year in 1994(?), but pretty much everything else I ever saw was 3-yo/4-yo, unless you got guaranteed promotion/specialized training, then it might be more than that (like 6-yo for nukes/AEF/ATF.)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 10:26:04 AM »

She could have gone in at 18, done 3 or 4 years, then 2 years comm college.

I don't see a motive to lie on that point as mil service wouldn't get her as much street cred as--say--claiming she got her AA then got back from 2 yrs with the Peace Corps.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 10:48:26 AM »
She could have gone in at 18, done 3 or 4 years, then 2 years comm college.

I don't see a motive to lie on that point as mil service wouldn't get her as much street cred as--say--claiming she got her AA then got back from 2 yrs with the Peace Corps.

Is it called graduating after 2 years at community college?  Most people I know that went to community college did it either for for help in their jobs or to transfer to a bigger college.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 11:01:41 AM »
Associate's degree.  And she may have taken courses while she was in service, too, or gotten credit based on her training.  Getting separated for being gay/lesbo, as opposed to getting caught in the act, did net an honorable short of ETS too...of course a lot of people call a General discharge early separation an 'Honorable' one because it is still 'Under honorable conditions.'

Trying too hard here, guys.  Aside from the basic 'DUmmies lie' axiom, there's really no reason for her to take the baby step of fabricating that part of the story after making the giant leap of admitting she shot her own brother. 

Offline thundley4

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 11:17:05 AM »
Associate's degree.  And she may have taken courses while she was in service, too, or gotten credit based on her training.  Getting separated for being gay/lesbo, as opposed to getting caught in the act, did net an honorable short of ETS too...of course a lot of people call a General discharge early separation an 'Honorable' one because it is still 'Under honorable conditions.'

Trying too hard here, guys.  Aside from the basic 'DUmmies lie' axiom, there's really no reason for her to take the baby step of fabricating that part of the story after making the giant leap of admitting she shot her own brother. 

I honestly didn't know about 2 year degrees from community colleges. As I said , the timeline just seemed short to me, but it seems possible, now.

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 12:27:05 PM »

Link posted again for convenience.

Whiskey foxtrot tango???