Author Topic: Has your flatulence stopped - Er!!! Have you ever run out of gas?  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x912240

Liberal_in_LA Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Apr-17-11 06:51 PM
Original message
Poll question: Have you ever run out of gas? (Out of gas calls on the rise)

I ran out once in my life. I still 'push it' sometimes, if I'm near home and don't feel like stopping

'Out of gas' calls for help rise with fuel prices

An increase this year in stranded motorists calling the Automobile Club of Southern California to request gasoline coincides with a jump in average fuel prices statewide. California's average Friday was $4.191 a gallon.

April 15, 2011, 7:00 p.m.
Soaring fuel prices have drivers running on empty.

The Automobile Club of Southern California said nearly 16,000 members a month are making one of those mildly embarrassing "stranded, need gasoline" emergency calls. That's up 13% from the year-earlier pace and represents the biggest jump since California motorists were paying a record average of $4.61 for a gallon of regular gasoline in July 2008.

"It's happening again to a lot of people," Automobile Club spokesman Jeff Spring said. "Our presumption is that these current high gasoline prices have a lot to do with it."

"When prices go up, people like to push it," said Jason Toews, co-founder of GasBuddy.com, a system of price-tracking websites. "If it is costing $50 or $75 or $100 to fill up, that is real money they don't want to part with."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-gas-empty-2011041...

Yes, I have run out of gas ONCE   (23 votes, 35%)   Vote
Yes, more than once   (19 votes, 29%)   Vote
No, I've never run out of gas   (23 votes, 35%)   Vote

64% have ran out of gas at least once.

I have never ran out of gas. NEVER. My truck get 12 MPG and when I need gas, I buy it.

Bluzmann57 Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Apr-17-11 06:54 PM
Response to Original message
1. I have

But I was fairly drunk. Many years ago. I no longer run out of gas. I will always have enough to get to work and back if nothing else.

Still drinking and driving then?

taterguy Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Apr-17-11 06:55 PM
2. I've called AAA when I was too tired to ride my bike any further

They told me to STFU

Someone should run into his bike again.

Silent3 Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Apr-17-11 06:57 PM
4. Twice, close together, nearly 30 years ago

It took running out twice over the span of a few weeks for me to properly learn the lesson that an old used VW my parents bought me extra cheap had (1) a very small gas tank, and (2) it really, really meant empty, no tiny reserve left at all, the moment the need pointed to "E".

It's called a gauge and is there for a reason.

Liberal_in_LA Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Apr-17-11 06:58 PM
Response to Reply #4
6. ahhhh.... I have about 2 gallons when mine hits E.

Taverner Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Apr-17-11 06:57 PM
5. I have. In a Prius. That was awesome.

No, running out of gas wasn't, but watching this was:

The Prius sends a message saying it has run out of gas. Then the electric motor kicks in, and the warning ("!") light goes on and it tells me how many more miles I have left on the electric motor. It runs out of energy quickly, but I get at least 2 miles of electric power, where it never goes over 40 mph, and I make it to the gas station.

Keep presssing your luck.

spanone Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Apr-17-11 06:58 PM
7. when i was a teenager in the sixties, we'd put a dollars worth in the tank..regularly

we ran out of gas, regularly.....but a dollar bought 3 gallons back then

And when gas started to spin out of control, President Nixon froze gas prices. I believe it was at .36 a gal. I wonder if obama would do such a thing?

Maine-ah Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Apr-17-11 07:09 PM
Original message
once, in 1995

the first car I purchased, and I was being stupid looking at the heat gauge the whole time, thinking holy shit, this car is awesome on gas!

I was really young. lol, and where I sat (I'm very, very short) the gas gauge was kind of hidden from me in a little blind spot behind the steering wheel.

:lmao: DUmbass.

Sen. Walter Sobchak (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Apr-17-11 07:17 PM
16. Yes, but only after getting siphoned

OhioDoink (17 posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Apr-17-11 07:48 PM
18. Had a friend who ran out everyday on purpose...

while he was unemployed and looking for work.He kept a gallon in his trunk,so he knew that he had to stop putting applications in when his car died and had enough to get home.The next day he would put 5 gallons in his tank and 1 in the can in his trunk and repeat.Being broke sucks,but he was never stranded.

Sonoman Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Apr-17-11 08:06 PM
20. Twice this year already, on a scooter that gets 100mpg.

I have a '66 Vespa w/sidecar that is really difficult to fill and I am really lazy.

I must have run out of gas 4 or 5 times last year

Sonoman

No shit.

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline thundley4

Re: Has your flatulence stopped - Er!!! Have you ever run out of gas?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 07:51:38 PM »
I ran out with an older car that I had, but the gauge still said a quarter of a tank.

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 08:18:43 PM »
I had a car with a bad sending unit in the gas tank.  The guy who sold it to me told me about it and told me to use the tripmeter, and that if I got to a gas station somewhere between 250 and 300 miles, I'd be OK.

Within the first month, I was driving in town and suddenly started having "engine trouble."  The gas gauge said I had a third of a tank left-- and then I remembered, and looked at the tripmeter.

Over 325 miles.

The car rolled to a stop less than a hundred feet from a gas station.

Now, my minivan gets 15-20 MPG.  I can still count on 300 miles in a tank.  I seldom go 50 in town without topping up.  The gas costs the same whether you buy two gallons or ten, and if you budget wisely, you won't have to worry.  Just keep more money in the money tank than it takes to fill the gas tank!
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline true_blood

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 08:31:58 PM »

I have never ran out of gas. NEVER. My truck get 12 MPG and when I need gas, I buy it.
Same here. If I need gas, I buy it. DUmmies haven't grasped that concept yet, I see.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:17:42 AM »
I ran out with an older car that I had, but the gauge still said a quarter of a tank.

That happened to me, too.

But miracle of miracles, it happened right in the parking lot of a truck stop.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline true_blood

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 07:51:25 PM »
That happened to me, too.
But miracle of miracles, it happened right in the parking lot of a truck stop.
Talk about good luck!

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 07:58:18 PM »
Never ran out of gas.  Even while being unemployed, we made sure there was at least a half tank in my car.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 08:52:40 PM »
In my young and stupid days, I've run out of gas. When I first moved to the "beach," I was 9 miles from a gas station. I miscalculated once or twice.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 09:14:43 PM »
Nope, I've never run out of fuel and I'd like to keep it that way too.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 10:29:33 PM »
I have a few times in the last year because my Datsun doesn't have a working gas gauge.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 03:27:36 AM »
I came close, twice.

One was a company delivery truck, a FL-50 Freightliner with a 6BT Cummins.  I had just gotten back from a run, and was too tired to fuel the truck, I just parked it inside the warehouse.  It never sputtered or missed, but the crew couldn't get it to start the next day.  Both tanks were bone dry!

The other time, I was pushing my luck in a 1981 diesel Isuzu P'up.  I took the exit off the interstate to get fuel at a truck stop, and as soon as I stopped at the pump, the truck died.  Took me 15 minutes to bleed the air from the fuel system to get it restarted!

My Ford has 2 tanks, I always keep one of them full, because the fuel gauge hasn't worked right since 1996.  It tells you if it's FULL, and EMPTY.  That's all.
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 03:36:04 AM »
Did it once when I was a teenager. One of the first few times driving and I just didn't keep my eye on all the gauges, combined with the fact I was pretty broke. It was a learning experience to say the least. Never done it after that, but I've pushed the low tank. Has nothing to do with $$ to fill it, but more with time. Sometimes that light comes on at the most inopportune times like between the house and my gym and I have to get to a class within 10 minutes :thatsright:. I will push it if it's not been on too long and get gas after my workout. I like to fill it up because I hate having to stop when I'm busy like that, but with the prices now, it just hurts too much to put 70 bucks in the tank so I put about half that and fortunately work is only about 10 miles away and I do most stuff locally so that usually lasts me a week or more.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 05:02:45 AM »
I fill up when the second tank is empty and the primary tank reaches 1/4 full. Or when I've done 1200km - whichever comes first.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 05:17:12 AM »
As a teenager, I ran outa gas once....right next to a cemetery. It was cold and foggy. Had to walk through the cemetery and back with my gas can.

It made quite an impression on me, and I NEVER ran out of gas since.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 05:26:49 AM »
I did once - sticky gas gauge - but since I was watching my miles I knew it was coming and I literally ran out as I was pulling up to a gas pump. 

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 09:01:28 AM »
I ran out once in college.  Thankfully, I was at the top of a hill and there was a 7/11 at the bottom of the hill I just climbed.  Thanks to my buddies in the car, we were able to turn around and I was able to coast in without hitting the pumps.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Karin

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 09:44:06 AM »
I don't believe that Taverner has a Prius. 

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 09:52:48 AM »
I don't believe that Taverner has a Prius. 

If you re-read his post, he never actually says that it is HIS Prius.

Smug assholes.

Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 09:54:34 AM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM9jhGiIAFM[/youtube]
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 11:02:47 AM »
If you re-read his post, he never actually says that it is HIS Prius.

Smug assholes.

Priuses are for smug, arrogant, overbearing liberals who live off their Republican parents. Everyone at OET has at least one Prius.
DUmmy Taverner is just one SSI check away from sleeping under a bridge.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 03:01:05 PM »
Language warning!!!

[youtube=425,350]lZ4PtafRB9c[/youtube]

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Rufus2010

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 06:12:29 PM »
Taverner Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Apr-17-11 06:57 PM
5. I have. In a Prius. That was awesome.

No, running out of gas wasn't, but watching this was:

The Prius sends a message saying it has run out of gas. Then the electric motor kicks in, and the warning ("!") light goes on and it tells me how many more miles I have left on the electric motor. It runs out of energy quickly, but I get at least 2 miles of electric power, where it never goes over 40 mph, and I make it to the gas station.

Tavernerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr's gay.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP-tyvBGla4[/youtube]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 06:17:15 PM by Rufus2010 »