Author Topic: primitives discuss microwave ovens  (Read 957 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss microwave ovens
« on: March 24, 2011, 05:03:05 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=287x9103

Oh my.

trud  (413 posts)      Thu Mar-10-11 07:28 AM
Original message

one unit microwave/oven, microwave bellies up

Sigh. There's a one unit microwave/oven in my kitchen and the microwave has started intermittently making a loudish kind of humming noise. It still seems to work, but my concern is a possible fire hazard?

This is thirty years old, so it's certainly done its job, but the new things cost an arm and a leg, and judging from other appliances I've replaced in the last few years I would be surprised if a new one lasted a year without problems. I know I can just get a countertop microwave, but it offends my sense of order to have a broken item in the kitchen, plus I don't have a lot of extra countertop space.

Does anyone have recommendations for a reliable not too horrendously priced replacement unit? This time I would get two separate things. Or anything illuminating to say about the microwave behavior? It's a GE, but GE repair has gone into the bit bucket, in my experience, if they could even get to the innards.

Wash. state Desk Jet  (1000+ posts)      Thu Mar-10-11 09:36 AM
Response to Original message

1. Given the age of yer existing micro wave oven I would think you would find it most interesting doing a little research about micro wave ovens in-so far as the changes. Just having taken a look at consumer reports on micros, I see manufactures are considering making those ovens with energy star ratings.

Consumer reports is a good a place as any to do a little research .If you were to pay somewhere between $200.00 and $400.00 for a under the cabinet mount or over the stove mount -you would most likely get more like five years out of it more or less dependent upon how much you use it.

The $100.00 or just under counter top type -you know just under $100.00 or $119.00 with a extra bell and whistle -or $59.00 -those are the type that last about a year in frequent usage .Some people actually buy those knowing they won't last because they like to change them out !

I think you would find it most interesting finding out what the newer models can do. About $ 400.00 on a good one that will last. $200.00 will get you a good one too.

Get out there and take a look at what new wave micro wave cooking is all about , it might be a fun adventure.
I always figure the best part about shopping around is procrastinating !

If yer after quality ,you want the best possible price. The best time to buy guide can be of assistence along that line in it.

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-11-11 03:08 PM
THE DEFROCKED WARPED PRIMITIVE
Response to Reply #1

2. Don't knock the cheap microwaves, they've gotten much better

I have a $35 oven from Target that has been going strong for six years. It's been in daily use. The cheapo I had before it lasted for 15 years. As long as the door latches securely, the keypad still works, and the magnetron fires up, it's safe and will work despite its age.

While I doubt the cheap ovens would hold up in a busy pub specializing in "ding-ding food," they're sturdy and reliable enough for home use.

Wash. state Desk Jet  (1000+ posts)      Fri Mar-11-11 11:11 PM
Response to Reply #2

3. I don't doubt that Warpy

I am not all that up on micro waves although I have installed quite a few of the over the stove or under the cabinet type. I always figured the zapper cooks it quick-good fer warming up coffee or cooking frozen dinners-or reheating .

But people tell me the good ones or the more expensive ones-you can really cook with them. They say when you are concerned about taste you move up scale. I always figured you sacrifice some of flavor for the quickness in the process of micro waving foods. I recall cooking a stake in those old 30 year old micros-at that time it was fascinating-but it did not equal the pan fried steak -not even close! Maybe that was a little more than 30 years ago !

But they tell me micro waves have come a long way.

Was just reading about that in consumer reports, Actually I very recently installed a fairly expensive micro wave under the cabinet mount -with exhaust fan. -had to install the exhaust as well. the woman of the house was explaining to me how much she uses the micro-relys on it cooking large family meals-she said it is as important as the conventional oven and stove.

I doubted the flavor-she told me to look into micros -up scale.

Can't hurt to read about it right ?

I don't know about $600.00 or more fer one of those-but if I were a cook or a chef-maybe it's not so much to pay.

trud  (413 posts)      Sun Mar-13-11 06:48 AM
Response to Original message

4. what I'm doing

I talked to the GE Answer Center. They said probably the repair guy could access the innards through the control panel, and no fire hazard, so I am using it until it really breaks. Then I'm trying the repair and if that fails, I'm shelling out $100 or less for a countertop microwave.

Good news according to the Answer Center is as of Jan 2012, GE is moving its appliance manufacturing back to the US.

Wash. state Desk Jet  (1000+ posts)      Sun Mar-13-11 07:22 PM
Response to Reply #4

5. That is good news.

Actually from my experience and from talking with appliance repair people, the GE is what you call service unfriendly,particularly dishwashers in replacing the pump and seal. But GE items rarely wear out or when they do such as yers, it's like 30 years old. That is a long time for a appliance to remain in service. dishwashers -15-25 years old-that is a long time for a dishwasher to hold up.

Glad to know GE is on the return.

Take a maytag or a Kenmore for example- those appliances are easy to work on-or what you call service friendly. You might pay $100 more for a GE but what yer buying is last-ability.

since the overseas thing -the test of time stats. are unclear.

Say the difference between 5 years and 15 years or more.

Thats good information you came back with.

trud  (413 posts)      Mon Mar-14-11 10:57 AM
Response to Reply #5

6. unfortunately while made in the US GE appliances used to last forever, the quality has gone way downhill. My family used to always buy GE, but I got a terrible dryer and a badly designed frig and dishwasher from them in the last decade. (It took me a long time to break the GE habit.) Plus their repair service has degraded.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: primitives discuss microwave ovens
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 05:09:55 PM »
Target? I thought the left was boycotting them?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 06:58:25 PM »
Target? I thought the left was boycotting them?
Six years ago, Target was on a par with Costco on the moonbat "blue companies" list.

I've seen a lot of built-in microwaves, but I don't recall ever seeing a microwave/oven combination. It seems strange to couple an expensive appliance like an oven with a cheapo thowaway item like a microwave, but I guess 30 years ago microwaves weren't exactly cheap (I paid I think $349 for our first one in the early or mid-80s), and back then people thought you could use them for cooking.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 07:06:03 PM »
There is so much stupid here I don't know where to start.  :stoner:

First off, a modern day child's ez-bake oven probally is more effcient and cooks quicker then a 30 year old microwave.

I just seen a brand new above the range Kenmore for $100 at a moving sale...they had the recipet and just bought it six months prior for $190.

I found the best place for a microwave is on top of the refirgerator if you need space. The under the cabinet ones sometimes are not that good and pricey. I also agree that some of the less expensive models are just as good as the others...they are all made by the same seven year olds in China.  :rotf:

The only thing worth checking if a microwave fails is the fuse under the cabinet of it. It simply looks like an automobile fuse and it near the power cord connection. Why pay a repairman to burn that expensive gas to try and visit your house and look at it?

I'm sure the only appliance repair company that DU uses has a fleet of smart cars...my bad.  :fuelfire:

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 07:09:05 PM »
Six years ago, Target was on a par with Costco on the moonbat "blue companies" list.

I've seen a lot of built-in microwaves, but I don't recall ever seeing a microwave/oven combination. It seems strange to couple an expensive appliance like an oven with a cheapo thowaway item like a microwave, but I guess 30 years ago microwaves weren't exactly cheap (I paid I think $349 for our first one in the early or mid-80s), and back then people thought you could use them for cooking.

In the 70's my grandfather showed up with a new microwave for my mom...it was over $500. He also bought one for my grandmother. It was a Magic Chef and was helpful for a busy housewife. My father often worked late and had a long drive home and we sometimes ate without him...he got the leftovers, as my sister and I were sound asleep by the time his shift was over. But DUmmies don't work, so what's the rush?  :lmao:

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 01:29:30 AM »
trud  (413 posts)      Thu Mar-10-11 07:28 AM
Original message

one unit microwave/oven, microwave bellies up

Sigh. There's a one unit microwave/oven in my kitchen and the microwave has started intermittently making a loudish kind of humming noise. It still seems to work, but my concern is a possible fire hazard?

This is thirty years old, so it's certainly done its job, but the new things cost an arm and a leg, and judging from other appliances I've replaced in the last few years I would be surprised if a new one lasted a year without problems. I know I can just get a countertop microwave, but it offends my sense of order to have a broken item in the kitchen

Then keep your head outta the kitchen!

Thank you!!!

I'll be here all week as long as my microwave continues too cook popcorn.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 01:38:25 AM »
Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-11-11 03:08 PM
THE DEFROCKED WARPED PRIMITIVE
Response to Reply #1

2. Don't knock the cheap microwaves, they've gotten much better

I have a $35 oven from Target that has been going strong for six years. It's been in daily use. I cheated the door interlock and can stick my head in it for every cooking cycle. (Popcorn Mode Is the Best!!!111)

The bouncies that are projectile vomited out of my BUTT upon doing so are epic!! 35 bucks, endliss epic bouncies, and a few RADS of healthy microwave radiation to the bong resign drenched brain??

How the 'F' could you go wrong? The cheapo I had before it lasted for 15 years. This is much better. I feel like Repo Man.

f1x0r3d...
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 06:58:05 AM »
Some brave mole needs to go over there and convince them to file the ears off the larger prong of the polarized plug.
Tell them they can then plug it in backwards and have a microwave freezer. :fuelfire:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Karin

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 10:51:18 AM »
GOBUCKS, I'm surprised you didn't comment.......

I am not all that up on micro  waves
  Well, you might try a Ken  More or a May  Tag, or even a Sam  Sung.  Those are pretty good for cooking yer stakes.  Bust of luck to you, I have to go to the air  port now.   

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 11:02:35 AM »
GOBUCKS, I'm surprised you didn't comment.......
  Well, you might try a Ken  More or a May  Tag, or even a Sam  Sung.  Those are pretty good for cooking yer stakes.  Bust of luck to you, I have to go to the air  port now. 
Don't forget to drop your stuff off at the laundry  mat.

Offline Karin

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 12:12:05 PM »
Bust of luck...... :rotf:  typo.  He'll have no such thing. 

Offline GOBUCKS

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 12:45:59 PM »
Wash. state Desk Jet  (1000+ posts)      Fri Mar-11-11 11:11 PM
Response to Reply #2

3. I don't doubt that Warpy
I am not all that up on micro waves although I have installed quite a few of the over the stove or under the cabinet type.

We got to install microwave ovens
Custom kitchen deliveries
We got to move these refrigerators
We got to move these colour T.V.'s

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 02:39:42 PM »
We got to install microwave ovens
Custom kitchen deliveries
We got to move these refrigerators
We got to move these colour T.V.'s

Somewhere around here, I've got a killer live version of that song, recorded at the Prince's Trust concert in London in 1986.  Eric Clapton on guitar, Thomas Dolby on synthesizers, Phil Collins on drums, and a few others in the band.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 03:01:37 PM »
 We have one of those under $100.00 microves and what we did was to place it into a cabinet over the counter.   We had to cut off the botton half of the doors and remove the center support pole  and just slide the darn thing in.     The top shelves still have their doors and it looks great.

These little microwave unites last for years if used just to defrost or heat up cooked food.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 05:11:28 PM »
Somewhere around here, I've got a killer live version of that song, recorded at the Prince's Trust concert in London in 1986.  Eric Clapton on guitar, Thomas Dolby on synthesizers, Phil Collins on drums, and a few others in the band.

Yeah -- That is a great version - and its on Youtube :D

[youtube=480,390]D2CfvVUE22E[/youtube]

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 06:29:35 PM »
Yeah -- That is a great version - and its on Youtube :D

[youtube=480,390]D2CfvVUE22E[/youtube]

I had forgotten about Rush's good friend (Yes, lurking primitives, it's true!) on piano and Sting on backing vocals.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.