Author Topic: Well, I ticked off a right winger with this comment. . .  (Read 618 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Well, I ticked off a right winger with this comment. . .
« on: February 22, 2011, 01:17:04 PM »
kevinbgoode  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Feb-22-11 02:01 PM
Original message
Well, I ticked off a right winger with this comment. . .

and while it isn't the most correct approach (sorry) it certainly makes a point:

One of those “perks” that public employees get (which private employees don’t receive) is the wonderful privilege of being forced to return a portion of their salary each year to their employer (themselves) in the form of “taxes” – which, of course, is recycled to them as part of their next year’s pay, and then returned again. This is just one of those amazing rewards for “service”. . .participating in having to pay a percentage of your own salary every year. So essentially, the faux cries of anguish from private sector taxpayers, who don’t have to return a percentage of their salaries to their employer each year “for their service” should wildly embrace the notion that perhaps it is the public sector employees who are “taxed enough already.”
Now why would the TEA Party – and their public officials – not embrace the notion of eliminating state and local taxes for public employees but so warmly embrace doing so for companies?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x482246

Now wait a minute I thought paying your taxes was a patriotic duty. Oh wait that's only when the other person has to pay taxes.

Personally I am sick an tired of people who get paid by tax dollars feeling they are entitled to benefits that we who pay the majority of the bill can't get. It's only fair that part of my hard earned money goes into my retirement and my health insurance that we can expect the same from you. I don't begrudge any person who works hard and makes a living doing an actual job for the govt. I do have a problem with when they feel they are entitled to more than the rest of us though. These people would actually prefer all of us to pay higher taxes than to shell out a few bucks every month to pay their own damn way.

If I was a governor and the unions pulled this shit I would give them what they want then lay off a whole bunch of them. Maybe all of a sudden kickin in a few bucks a month rather than not having a job might appeal to them.

I'm sick and tired of being called greedy because I want to maximize what I bring home from my check and use that money to pay my own way and they can't even pay for their own benefits without being spoiled cry babies.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline jukin

Re: Well, I ticked off a right winger with this comment. . .
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 01:23:12 PM »
Well most public sector people pay no FICA or Medicare tax, thats 18.1% less taken out of their check.

Let's assume that the teacher is in the $100k and 28% tax rate and a 8% state income tax rate that's 36%. So for every dollar that you screw the regular taxpayer out of you get an extra 64 cents. Good con game if you can find it.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 01:57:07 PM »
Well most public sector people pay no FICA or Medicare tax, thats 18.1% less taken out of their check.

Let's assume that the teacher is in the $100k and 28% tax rate and a 8% state income tax rate that's 36%. So for every dollar that you screw the regular taxpayer out of you get an extra 64 cents. Good con game if you can find it.

Not true of Fed civil service for people that came into it under the current system, which went into effect about 25 years ago, btw.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 02:06:47 PM »
the faux cries of anguish from private sector taxpayers, who don’t have to return a percentage of their salaries to their employer each year “for their service” should wildly embrace the notion that perhaps it is the public sector employees who are “taxed enough already.”

No, private sector employees have their pay taken away from them by the force of government to pay for inept ingrates who refuse to work at the jobs they insist are so vital to the rest of us.

Here's a corallary DUmbass: go to a private sector establishment, pay your money up front at such high fees you cannot afford to take your business elsewhere then in the middle of the service they're supposed to provide you the workers walk off the job but keep your money and demand more.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 02:14:16 PM »
Uh, what in the hell????    They really fancy themselves intelligent don't they?

So not only are they sucking the life out of the private working class tax paying citizen, they are essentially not paying taxes also -- as they are "recycling" that money.  

How the hell is that even remotely related to Corporations (who pay far more than joe blow teacher %wise in taxes) who simply ask big government to stop using their profit margin to fund their brilliant entitlement program ideas.   Corporations will use their profit margin to EXPAND their business (read that as JOB CREATION misfits) to become more solvent and make more profits........  see how that works?  

Morons.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 02:34:35 PM »
Not true of Fed civil service for people that came into it under the current system, which went into effect about 25 years ago, btw.

Good point.  And before that they paid a higher rate into the Civil Service Retirement System (than those in social security)  in addition to a portion of their health and life insurance.  (Showing a Federal Blue Cross card almost always causes medical billing clerks to genuflect BTW. :lmao:)

The problem is (was) one portability.  Depending on age and years of service you could really take a beating if you were RIF'ed under CSRS. FERS pretty much took care of that with the Social Security component.   

What is the situation with State pensions? If you don't pay into Social Security and lose your state job I would assume you get a reduced annuity based on age and years of service just like you would have under the old CSRS. 

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 08:16:37 PM »
OTOH We don't have to pay union dues just to keep our jobs.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 08:43:06 PM »
That's right, DAT. I am a Dept of the Army civilian employee. My retirement will be a combination of the Federal Employee Retirement System (a small amount), my Thrift Savings Plan (for me, 5% of pretax income matched by the Fed), and Social Security. I participated in the FERS military service "buyback", in which I paid in to FERS in order to get credit for my active duty time; I'll get a little more from FERS that way.

I also have some investments, but I'm putting my son through college, and had to make a choice.

I won't retire rich, by any means. In fact, I will most likely work until I die.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 10:20:27 AM »
Oh, I see. Now public sector employees don't need to pay taxes, either! Damn, how do I get one of these jobs?

Let's see, from what I've read, they make damn near double what I do. They don't have to put any of that money into takin' care of their sorry ass, Then after they retire after 20 years, even if they are in their forty's, and recieve a fat pension. They barely pay any money for healthcare, yet have little or no deductible, even after they retire, and now askin' them to pay taxes is recycling!

Amazing! Talk about a sweetheart deal!

Cut their wages in half!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!