Author Topic: Poor in Ameica- We're not that poor but want to bs you - Paging Bobo  (Read 741 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x480563

ehrnst Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Feb-22-11 11:21 AM
Original message
Being Poor - a wrenching piece that details what it truly means

Beyond the rhetoric of the "lazy, bon-bon eating, unemployment-collecting, living the life of riley on $300 a week, no ambition, sitting around all day watching soaps and happy about it," campaign to justify cutting food stamps, heat and medical care for families, there is the very personal reality. I have lived some of this, after having gotten a graduate degree. I found this on DU post a few years ago an sobbed.

Now I'm on facebook, and it's making my friends think, cry and repost.

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2005/09/03/being-poor /

<snip>
Being poor is knowing exactly how much everything costs.

Being poor is getting angry at your kids for asking for all the crap they see on TV.

Being poor is having to keep buying $800 cars because they’re what you can afford, and then having the cars break down on you, because there’s not an $800 car in America that’s worth a damn.

Being poor is hoping the toothache goes away.

Being poor is knowing your kid goes to friends’ houses but never has friends over to yours.

Being poor is going to the restroom before you get in the school lunch line so your friends will be ahead of you and won’t hear you say “I get free lunch” when you get to the cashier.
</snip>

I'll address these but their crying in their 3.2 beer shows that they are clueless as to what being poor really is. the link shows a long list of reason of why they think they're poor but have it better than most of the people on the planet.

Being poor is knowing exactly how much everything costs. Not knowing what an item cost is one of the reasons you're poor.

Being poor is getting angry at your kids for asking for all the crap they see on TV. If you're poor, how did you get a TV

Being poor is having to keep buying $800 cars because they’re what you can afford, and then having the cars break down on you, because there’s not an $800 car in America that’s worth a damn. Poor people walk. They can't afford a car.

Being poor is hoping the toothache goes away. Pull the tooth and get a quarter from the tooth fairy.

Being poor is knowing your kid goes to friends’ houses but never has friends over to yours. Discover the item called a mop and broom.

Being poor is going to the restroom before you get in the school lunch line so your friends will be ahead of you and won’t hear you say “I get free lunch” when you get to the cashier. I would hope your friends go to the restroom with you to wash their hands before eating.

slackmaster Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Feb-22-11 11:25 AM
Response to Original message
2. The author has no clue what it's like to live in real poverty

Being poor is getting angry at your kids for asking for all the crap they see on TV.

Anyone who owns a TV is not truly poor.

My dad grew up in real poverty. Being truly poor means your mom hands you a rifle and three rounds of .22 ammunition, and tells you not to come home until you have two jackrabbits. He usually came home with three jackrabbits.

He understood what poverty was all about. He never felt sorry for himself, and did something bold to get out of his situation. He had real courage.

Unrec for pathetic whining.

IMHO, slackmaster is one of the best moles on DU.

ehrnst Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Feb-22-11 11:31 AM
Response to Reply #2
3. Why stop there? I mean even if they got it off freecycle, that means they had access to a COMPUTER!

And even if it was at the public library, what the hell were they doing there instead of lining up where the day laborers line up?

Damn whining moochers! If I don't think they've suffered enough, then they need to suffer more.

Am I Right??

slackmaster Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Feb-22-11 11:59 AM
Response to Reply #5
7. Even the most lowly TV is useless if you don't have electricity

Javaman Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Feb-22-11 12:03 PM
Response to Reply #7
12. welcome to ignore. nt

bobbolink Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Donate to DU!    Tue Feb-22-11 03:48 PM
Response to Reply #12
70. alerting would be a good idea, Thhis is sheer hate speech, belonging on FR.

I see Bobo has made a full recovery.

slackmaster Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Feb-22-11 12:48 PM
Response to Reply #17
28. I and my family have tremendous empathy for poor people, but no tolerance for "poor-mouthing".

If you're poor, you can either accept it with dignity and grace or do something about it.

Dragonfli Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Feb-22-11 01:08 PM
Response to Reply #28
33. Just shut up and die or rob a store , is that what you propose?

slackmaster Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Tue Feb-22-11 01:18 PM
Response to Reply #33
36. Invent something, get a job, go to school, or join the military

Anything but whining.

GASP!!! A job.

This is definitely worth a view. The elitist are clueless and it's on full display.

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: Poor in Ameica- We're not that poor but want to bs you - Paging Bobo
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 05:20:54 PM »
Long article so here are some snippets:

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Reports/1990/09/How-Poor-are-Americas-Poor

* 38 percent of the persons whom the Census Bureau identifies as "poor" own their own homes with a median value of $39,200.

* 62 percent of "poor" households own a car; 14 percent own two or more cars.

* Nearly half of all "poor" households have air-conditioning; 31 percent have microwave ovens.

* Nationwide, some 22,000 "poor" households have heated swimming pools or Jacuzzis.

The average "poor" American lives in a larger house or apartment than does the average West European (This is the average West European, not poor West Europeans). Poor Americans eat far more meat, are more likely to own cars and dishwashers, and are more likely to have basic modern amenities such as indoor toilets than is the general West European population.

Welfare spending seriously diminishes work effort and earned income. The largest effect of increased welfare spending is not to raise income but merely to replace self- sufficiency with dependence. Welfare also undermines family structure. In 1965 the black illegitimate birth rate was 28 percent; today it is 64 percent. Properly measured, the number of persons in material poverty has shrunk since 1965, but at the unnecessary cost of producing a burgeoning underclass. The current welfare system has created entire communities where work is rare, intact families virtually unknown, and dependence on government a way of life passed on from generation to generation.

Today, officially "poor" households are more likely to own common consumer durables such as televisions and refrigerators than the average family in the 1950s. In 1930, nearly two-thirds of U.S. households did not own a radio; over half had no form of refrigeration. Among the poor today, less than one percent lack a refrigerator.

Seventeen percent of U.S. households in "poverty" have automatic dishwashers, well above the rate for the general West European population in 1980. Among America's "poor" there are 344 cars per 1,000 persons. This is roughly the same ratio as exists for the total population of the United Kingdom. A poor American is 40 percent more likely to own a car than the average Japanese; 30 times more likely than the average Pole; and 50 times more likely than the average Mexican.

According to the 1987 U.S. Census Housing Survey, 38 percent of poor households own their own homes, with a median value of $39,205. Nearly 50 percent of officially poor households are air conditioned.

The homes of these households, whether owned or rented, also are on average quite spacious by historic or international standards. By American standards, "crowded" housing means more than 1.5 persons occupy each room. Less than 2 percent of "poor" U.S. households were "crowded" in 1987, according to this definition, and only 7.5 percent of poor households had more than one person per room.

On a per capita basis, low income households in 1988 spent 80 cents on food for every $1.00 spent by the median American household. And out of every food dollar spent by low income persons, 32 cents was spent in restaurants.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Tucker

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 05:29:24 PM »
When I think of poor folk, I think of obama's neglected, overlooked brother.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 05:38:09 PM »

At least he owns his own mud hut.  (ok I really don' t know that for sure he may rent)  :clueless:

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 05:40:03 PM »
I know I've posted this before but ....

In 1990 the census workers came to my travel trailer because they didn't have an address for me and my wife.  After the questioning I was told I was classified as 'homeless'.

:rotf:

I was a welder/iron worker and traveled for a living.  I was making in excess of $70,000/year at that time working 10 months a year.

That was a real eye opener for me.  Here I was ..... making that kind of money .... a statistic.  I was homeless.  Wonder what Bobo does for a living?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 05:40:57 PM »

Another thing of hypocrisy from the left, no outrage over that at all.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 05:53:12 PM »
The poorest person in America lives better than any European royalty circa 1900.

Not in terms of luxury and opulence, of course, but in terms of health, medical care, communications, physical comfort, personal conveniences, access to material goods, &c., &c., &c.

As odd as it might seem, the bobbling primitive lives better than Queen Victoria did.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 06:15:57 PM »

Being poor is having to keep buying $800 cars because they’re what you can afford, and then having the cars break down on you, because there’s not an $800 car in America that’s worth a damn.

Damn...

Years ago, we used to call that "life". 
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 06:58:06 PM »
There are no poor in America! Just lazy. If you are an American and can't get a meal and a roof you are the dumbest of dumb and lazy.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Tucker

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 06:58:32 PM »
Wonder what Bobo does for a living?

KC

No you don't. Don't even go there.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 07:22:55 PM »
When I think  of the jug-eared muslim's kin, I think of the prawns in District 9.

Offline true_blood

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 07:30:39 PM »
ehrnst Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Tue Feb-22-11 11:21 AM
Original message
Being Poor - a wrenching piece that details what it truly means

Being poor is knowing your kid goes to friends’ houses but never has friends over to yours.

Being poor is going to the restroom before you get in the school lunch line so your friends will be ahead of you and won’t hear you say “I get free lunch” when you get to the cashier.
Then you know what you can do DUmmie?!? You can thank the Obozo in the White House. The shrinking middle class will soon be there as well. More and more people are losing their jobs or getting pay cut/hours cut. The Obozo must love all the chaos being played out in the Middle East and in Libya, making our gas prices rise as well.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 09:35:46 PM »
I know I've posted this before but ....

In 1990 the census workers came to my travel trailer because they didn't have an address for me and my wife.  After the questioning I was told I was classified as 'homeless'.

:rotf:

I was a welder/iron worker and traveled for a living.  I was making in excess of $70,000/year at that time working 10 months a year.

That was a real eye opener for me.  Here I was ..... making that kind of money .... a statistic.  I was homeless.  Wonder what Bobo does for a living?

KC

Idiots like Bobo don't have a clue what being really poor is like. I'm betting there are people in North Korea that would kill to have that big assed Buick just to have some place warm to be in.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 10:51:51 AM »
I've been dirt poor before. My '56 ford up on blocks, huntin' squirrel to have somethin' to eat besides pancakes, eggs, and potatoes, no TV, hell, no electricity, wood heat that I had to go out every day and cut limbs in order to feed the POS, a propane cookstove, usually out of propane, having to rely on others so me an "Toots" could get to town to apply for Food Stamps, roll yer own cigarettes, not a job in site as it was the ****in' middle of winter, I could go on.

This lasted all of 3 months. Finally hooked up with a friend who lived in town so I could get up every morning at 4AM and head down to the local freezers a mile away in the rail yard to hand load box cars in 20 below warehouses. It was so cold in those freezers your nose would bleed! Some of the crates weigh in excess of 50 lbs, and ya had to throw 'em 4 hrs straight, then get a 20 minute lunch consisting of a cheap peanut butter and some off the wall generic grape jam, sandwich, and a bag of chips, of which you could eat the entire thing in one mouthful! Then head back and toss crates another 4 hours, all the time makin' a whopping $4/hr!

Got the truck fixed. Rented me and "Toots" a studio apartment in run down 19th century hotel, and hit the pavement lookin' for a better job!

The following month, I even had a telephone!

Suck it DUmbasses! You have no idea what poor is! You lay around post on some bull shit forum about how the man is keepin' ya down, and live a life of luxury compared to how me and "Toots" started out!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:56:48 AM by AllosaursRus »
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!