Author Topic: Us wet noodle types don't want PE- they beat us up and make us cry  (Read 6403 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x71920

The Straight Story Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Dec-26-10 01:57 PM
Original message
More states let students opt out of P.E. classes

More states let students opt out of P.E. classes

DES MOINES — When the Des Moines school district announced this fall it was going to make it tougher for students to waive their physical education classes by scaling back all but a handful of exemptions, it caught students and parents by surprise.

It also countered a national trend.

Despite growing concerns about obesity among young people, the number of states that allow students to waive or substitute physical education classes has grown from 27 to 32 since 2006, according to Paula Kun, a spokeswoman for the National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NASPE).

According to an association report in June, students in those states can skip physical education if they enroll in interscholastic sports, marching band, cheerleading or other activities. The number of states that allow waivers for health issues, disabilities or religious reasons has risen from 18 to 30 since 2006, according to the report.

NASPE opposes waivers or exemptions from physical education classes, Kun says.

"Unfortunately, so many schools are having more and more waivers — particularly at the high school level," Kun says. "The great majority of high school students are required to take physical education only one year out of the four. They get out for religious reasons, for ROTC, for marching band. There's a whole slew of waiver possibilities."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2010-12-14-physe...

All the 98 pound weaklings check in.

Fumesucker Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Dec-26-10 02:04 PM
Response to Reply #1
3. PE was sheer misery for me..

I was two grades ahead of my age cohort and the coaches punished the slowest kids every single day, two years is a huge physical jump even at the high school level, it was basically impossible for me not to be punished by extra exercises every day.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if things have gotten worse in the going on fifty years since..

oe Bacon Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Dec-26-10 11:09 PM
Response to Reply #3
34. Yes, PE was hell

I was constantly beaten up in PE class, with the coach's blessing. Hated every second of it.

get the red out Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Dec-26-10 02:12 PM
Response to Reply #1
6. P. E. was PRIME Bully-time

PE was Bully Prime-time when I was in school, ultra-living-hell. It was coaches throwing the dodge ball out and less popular kids getting the crap beat out of them.

I can't see a big problem with eliminating PE in school completely. I SERIOUSLY doubt it is often approached in any way that would be helpful in instilling a life-long love of fitness, unless school culture has changed immensely for the better since the 70's (and from what I read in the news that hasn't exactly been the case).

customerserviceguy Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Dec-26-10 02:37 PM
Response to Reply #1
10. Sad to hear that's still true

I remember PE from 40 years ago, where the jocks would ridicule or even beat up on the nerds and overweight kids. Sometimes the frustrated jock PE instructor would go along with it, or just turn a blind eye.

We have accellerated classes for math, why not for PE? You could put the jocks in them, and let the other kids just have some fun and excercise without being intimidated by people whose only claim to fame is what they can do with their bodies.

1monster Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Dec-26-10 02:54 PM
Response to Reply #1
11. I took my son out of P.E. in seventh grade because of physical and psychological

bullying. I got tired of seeing my son injured and helpless to do anything about it. He had snakes thrown on his shoes, was pummeled relentlessly with a basketball by three students at the same time, tripped and tackled in soccer, etc., etc. (He was smaller than the other kids and got his growth spurt all at once in high school, instead of starting in middle school as many did.

And that was only in the first four weeks of school. I was attached to the school during that time and I couldn't get anything done about it. The P.E. classed had about 150 kids in each class with three or four adults who were not good managers monitoring.

Wimps raising wimps.

ProgressiveProfessor Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Dec-26-10 08:50 PM
Response to Reply #11
26. I was excused from PE after I took out a starting lineman

He was doing the bully thing. PE Teacher/coach refused to do anything, telling me to buck up or take it. Got the dufus to chase be so the teacher would clearly see him coming after me, side stepped, spun, and snapped kicked the side of his knee. I was never messed with again at that school.

Sure you did. Only in your dreams.

GreenEyedLefty Donating Member (682 posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Dec-26-10 02:08 PM
Response to Original message
4. Reducing homework loads would help the obesity situation more than requiring PE.

????

Taitertots (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Dec-26-10 05:07 PM
19. Sports based PE is the problem

Who is surprised that children who are not good at sports don't like playing uneven games? It makes about as much sense as competition based history or reading classes.
Who is surprised that lots of parents would rather have their children spend their time in academic pursuits?

If anything we should teach them how to live healthy through a balance of nutrition and exercise. The ubiquity of youth sports injuries and obesity makes it obvious that sports are doing more harm than good to the physical and mental health of the children.

1monster Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Mon Dec-27-10 12:18 PM
Response to Reply #24
37. As a substitute, if we are playing a competitive game, I make all the kids line up and

then count off 1,2,3,4 until all students are counted. Then, they split off, ones together as a team, twos, together, etc. Some of the kids try to get in line in such a way that they will be on the same team, but they rarely are able to pull it off. In that way, no one team gets all of the good athletes and no one team gets all of the not-so-athletic students. Plus, we don't keep score.

In one middle school where I sub, they have what they call "rec day." Students have to walk or run (or both) around the rec field which is large enough on which to put three football fields. Then they can choose how to complete the P.E. time: soccer, volleyball, basketball, shuffleboard, four square, jump rope, pull ups, kickball, just continue walking around the field, or any combination of these.

The rec day option seems to keep the bullying down and the enjoyment up.

You DUmb bitch. There has to be winners and loser. It's used to gauge progress.

Manifestor_of_Light Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Dec-26-10 06:54 PM
25. I hated it and I was bullied.

I had to get a doctor's excuse to get out of PE so I could take typing when I was a senior.

I was a year ahead in school, and little, and the big six foot tall dumb jock girls would hit me in the head with basketballs and trip me, put me in the outfield in softball where it was ninety five degrees. I would sit down. The captain said she'd take me out for that and I said "GOOD!".

I refused to catch a softball because I was terrified I would break or jam a finger. I was a violinist and pianist in orchestra and didn't dare catch a softball.

They'd play red rover and deliberately trip me and try to kill me by making me fall flat on my face.
And I didn't get along with the teachers who seemed to be dykes. This was before I knew about lesbians. I just thought they were awfully masculine.

:lmao:

It seems like a lot of the primitives lack the physical strength to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, to use their phrase.

I'm reminded of PeeWee Herman.

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Us wet noodle types don't want PE- they beat us up and make us cry
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 12:24:55 PM »
What a bunch of pussies. :gay2:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 12:30:19 PM »
I loved PE.  Especially when we got to play kick ball, dodgeball, or red rover.  That dang red rubber ball sure could pack a punch!

I hated that Presidential Award thing we had to do.  I don't run just to run.  Only for a reason. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 12:32:18 PM »
Manifestor_of_Light Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Dec-26-10 06:54 PM

I had to get a doctor's excuse to get out of PE so I could take typing when I was a senior.

I was a year ahead in school, and little, and the big six foot tall dumb jock girls would hit me in the head with basketballs and trip me, put me in the outfield in softball where it was ninety five degrees. I would sit down. The captain said she'd take me out for that and I said "GOOD!".

I refused to catch a softball because I was terrified I would break or jam a finger. I was a violinist and pianist in orchestra and didn't dare catch a softball.

They'd play red rover and deliberately trip me and try to kill me by making me fall flat on my face.
And I didn't get along with the teachers who seemed to be dykes. This was before I knew about lesbians. I just thought they were awfully masculine.

LOL!  that's some funny stuff right there.

This poster must have moved.  Earlier posts said it was in east Texas and there were no bookstores and stuff ..... I'll bet we have more bookstores than lesbians.

Heh.

KC
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:41:02 PM by Texacon »
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 12:33:30 PM »
I suppose the way most schools do it probably doesn't do much to instil any lifetime learning about fitness, but that sure is some concentrated whining and sniveling there.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Max

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 12:36:05 PM »
I loved PE.  Especially when we got to play kick ball, dodgeball, or red rover.  That dang red rubber ball sure could pack a punch!

I hated that Presidential Award thing we had to do.  I don't run just to run.  Only for a reason. 
So did I.   Who knew the wimps we were laughing at were DUmmies in training???  BTW I rocked the Pres. award thing....just sayin'

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 12:41:01 PM »

I use to throw the dodge ball as hard as I could at the wimpiest kid in the group. We all did.

99% of the kids gave all their effort to win. the 1% deserved to get whoopped like a step child.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 12:43:31 PM »
I was never the most athletic person, but I enjoyed PE.   I loved playing actual sports, but could have done without push-ups and running a mile  :whistling:

I can see exempting athletes from PE during their season, since they would be getting a good workout after school, but I don't see it being necessary.  I don't think it was ever allowed at my school, and yeah, it sucked when you were playing basketball against girls on the varsity basketball team, but oh well, I still had fun.  

Offline MoshMasterD

• The Cornette Face
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 12:44:03 PM »
Looks like it's another Call For Columbine!!!
"They cannot win. We outnumber them in this country, and we have the guns… I’m not kidding. They talk a mean game, but they will not cross that line because they know what they’re dealing with."

Andrew Breitbart

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 12:47:17 PM »
Most schools have pussified PE as to get rid of "violent" games and competitive sports anyway.  I can remember playing dodge ball lined up against the brick wall of the school, and that was grade school.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 12:48:10 PM »
So did I.   Who knew the wimps we were laughing at were DUmmies in training???  BTW I rocked the Pres. award thing....just sayin'

Well, we can't all rock everything, right???

I got bored with that, but loved anything competitive.  Didn't always win, but I sure do love kicking butt when I do. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 12:48:33 PM »
Most schools have pussified PE as to get rid of "violent" games and competitive sports anyway.  I can remember playing dodge ball lined up against the brick wall of the school, and that was grade school.

Times have changed, unfortunately.  I recall doing that stuff too.  Good times.

Offline VivisMom

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 12:56:43 PM »
Maybe it was just my school, but PE wasn't the awful horrorshow the DUmmies make it out to be. I mean, I was a fat kid and yeah, I got picked on in gym class-but the gym teacher would make anyone who was caught being anything less than sportsmanlike run laps the ENTIRE period.

And in HS, we did fun stuff...golf, archery, line dancing. Yeah I hated it at the time, but I never tried to get out of it.

Offline true_blood

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 01:01:05 PM »
What a bunch of pussies. :gay2:
I was thinking the exact same thing Mr. Wiggum.
Grow a set you jack wagons! :tongue:

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 01:04:25 PM »
Manifestor_of_Light Donating Member (1000+ posts)  Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list    Sun Dec-26-10 06:54 PM

Wow, she seems to be still bitter about this.   Pathetic doesn't really touch the description of this post.

Most states are getting waivers for PE because they can't afford to pay for specials (art, music and PE are referred to as "specials").   

Offline jukin

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 01:04:44 PM »
I hated PE too.  That's why I was on the water polo and swim teams.

Does that thread validate all of your thoughts about the losers at the DUmp or WHAT?!?!?!?
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 01:06:10 PM »

I don't see that in MA in middle and high school grades.  Sports are extremely competitive in my district.  I do see it in elementary school age students -- those schools of course still lucky enough to offer PE in those grades. 

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 01:06:29 PM »
So did I.   Who knew the wimps we were laughing at were DUmmies in training???  BTW I rocked the Pres. award thing....just sayin'

Heh, so did I! My specialty was sit ups! I wish I still had the abs that I did when I was in the 6th grade!!!

I remember these losers! Most were so self conscious they wouldn't undress and shower with us "men"! They would always be late out to the field for warm ups. We took great pleasure in pullin' their trunks down around their ankles in front of the girls! This was in the day where jock straps were mandatory! hehehehehehe!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 01:07:07 PM »
I hated PE too.  That's why I was on the water polo and swim teams.

Does that thread validate all of your thoughts about the losers at the DUmp or WHAT?!?!?!?

Water polo is a very hard sport.   Ditto swim team.  

H5.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 01:08:27 PM »
Quote from: DUmmy

Jam a finger?

:ohnoes:

Life is rough, grow the **** up.

Offline Max

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 01:11:14 PM »
Well, we can't all rock everything, right???

I got bored with that, but loved anything competitive.  Didn't always win, but I sure do love kicking butt when I do. 
I really never won at anything so the low bar for that was my cup of tea  :wink: I loved the games and competition regardless.

The primitives (btw I think that is too funny that you guys call them that) are just the opposite.  Notice how half of them brag about being soooo smart while the cry about PE? 

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 01:12:06 PM »
I was never the most athletic person, but I enjoyed PE.   I loved playing actual sports, but could have done without push-ups and running a mile  :whistling:

I can see exempting athletes from PE during their season, since they would be getting a good workout after school, but I don't see it being necessary.  I don't think it was ever allowed at my school, and yeah, it sucked when you were playing basketball against girls on the varsity basketball team, but oh well, I still had fun.  

Those of us on the football team always went over our playbook during PE, while the rest got to play softball, dodgeball, kickball, etc! The only time it pissed me off is when they went bowling!!!!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 01:19:56 PM »

Kinda did, now that ya mention it.

:-)
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 01:24:29 PM »
I was one of the smaller kids in my Catholic school, so for PE, we had to adapt to whatever activity we were doing.  One of the wildly popular ones was a variation of dodgeball called "pin bombardment."  Regular dodgeball, but there were two pins (not bowling pins, but similar) set up on the basketball court, right in the blocks of the lane.  If the pins got knocked over, your side lost.  While defending, if you hit the ball with your head, you weren't out.  I became a kick-ass pin guard.  Never lost a game in three years.  As a result, when sides were taken for pin bombardment, I was usually taken in the second or third round (one had to get their "snipers" first).  

I had a friend who fell into the "sniper" category, that would use the PE teacher as a screen to hide behind.  One of the other side's "snipers" would get a tad careless . . . and he was gone, drilled by Danny B.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 01:27:31 PM by BlueStateSaint »
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Karin

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2010, 01:29:33 PM »
Wonder if Manifestor of Light got called out for being less than complimentary toward her gay female comrades?

MOL is also featured in the thread about hanging stupid signs on her fence.  I can just picture her now.  Mouse brown, limp hair cut short, black square glasses, sunken chest, dowdy clothes, ugly sensible shoes.   Her post was funnier than hell, though.